2021 Stumpjumper Rant

T_Boss

How do you feel about the Following? Really interested in this bike, but the price has put me off a bit

It has far exceeded expectations

Pros: way more confidence on technical trails, this is backed up by strata times which are quicker. It climbs very well (running a 140mm fork). You can't stop smiling when riding it - it is just crazy fun.

Cons: The price (but I would buy it again given the choice). Cleaning the drivetrain is a mission I just can't get brushes into some parts of the suspension.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really wanted A stumpjumper you would've bought one

Don't tell me one of the lowest ranking people in that store 'wouldn't' sell you one.

You turn your back to them walk to the manager and say 'I want to buy a stumpjumper , your sales man only want to sell me an epic evo which I don't want. I'm walking out with a stumpjumper today or simply walking out, so which models can you show me?'

. I'm 95% sure I can predict how that exchange would go

The manager/owner did come join the salesman and myself while having this discussion. He was the one who said the I won't enjoy the Stumpjumper on the climbs, not a great way to sell a bike.

No Stumpjumper floor model or demo was available but I was repeatedly told to take the Evo for a test ride. I suspect a lack of stock is why the Evo was being pushed over a Stumpjumper.

The manager/owner did come join the salesman and myself while having this discussion. He was the one who said the I won't enjoy the Stumpjumper on the climbs, not a great way to sell a bike.

No Stumpjumper floor model or demo was available but I was repeatedly told to take the Evo for a test ride. I suspect a lack of stock is why the Evo was being pushed over a Stumpjumper.

Makes more sense then, isn't there another store nearby.

Management doing the same stupid move is A lost cause

This was my exact same experience about 6 months ago. Money in hand and I walked away and built my following.

I will do it again tomorrow if I had to. In fact, I want to. The Following V3 is everything i could ever need in a bike.

November 2020 I walk into Specialized store

Me: "I want to buy a Stumpjumper"

Salesman: "You want to buy an Epic Evo"

Me: "but I have an Epic you sold me 3 years ago"

Salesman: "that Epic is old technology. Also you won't be able to pedal stumpjumper uphill as well as the Evo"

Me: "but I want a 140mm trail bike as well as my marathon bike"

Salesman: "you want an Epic Evo"

My purchase December 2020: Evil the Following

Now I realise the Evo is a fantastic "one bike to rule them all" but I like my different bikes for different trails.

I really wanted to buy a Stumpjumper, they just wouldn't sell one to me!

Might be a case of Sell what's on the truck. He can't sell you a Stumpy if he can't get a stumpy.

That being said, I had a similar experience at the Helderberg Spez store. Epic Evo Uber Alles. They don't understand trail riders.

The stellies spez store however was a different story. Could tell me off the top of his head when they expected stock, what the prices will look like and then showed me different sizes of the models they had in stock.

They just were not listening ... the fast that you point out you have a XC/Marathon bike should have been clear they should not be pushing the Epic EVO.

This reminds me of when I walked into my local Spaz store and asked the owner (no less) about flat shoes. He first gave me this far away look as though he had no idea what I was talking about, then eventually the light slowly started coming on, only to say, sorry, we dont have stock and have no idea when or if we get again. 

Morning

My experience at Kenilworth Spaz has been different. Yes, they don’t have much stock. This must be even more frustration for them than for me (clients galore and nothing to sell them). But they have always been willing to spend time discussing options, letting me know when stock is expected (also saying so when they just don’t know). Owner also willing to chat and share knowledge. Sometimes down selling when I have asked for something and they have a cheaper alternative, giving me the option.

Overall, my experience there has been great. I hope it continues.

Why must people's mindsets change?

If a person is happy riding a +R100k XC bike on a district road, that's fine. To each his own.

I know people  who love to go out on long rides, on district roads. For them a light weight XC bike makes sense, even though the XCs are not intended for that purpose. Why ride a heavier ST bike.

Some people just want to be outside, doing some form of activity, and want to have a nice bike to enjoy. Not everyone wants to rip down trails and bomb it down hills while jumping every bump in sight.

I don't necessarily agree with this.

I genuinely enjoy technical singletrack, proper XC courses, but also appreciate being out in the open during proper endurance rides over long distances. My full sus XC bike can do both and really is a good middle ground for me. 

Obviously a trail bike would be nice, but I like the uphills a lot (as much bombing down technical or flow STO) as well, so XC is my choice because of that reason. XC bike trumps a gravel bike on gravel roads for the simple reason that it is far more comfortable on century + rides. Sure, you can consider that it is not intended for that purpose, but it sure does the job with aplomb.

I'd like 5 bikes, but my one XC bike has to deliver to all my varying requirements ;-) 

Hello All,

I was just pointed to this thread by a friend. This is Bobby Behan from Specialized Bicycles Africa. To confirm certain points in the thread we initially brought the Stumpjumper Base and S-Works Stumpjumper Frame to market. However, a couple of months ago we ordered various other Stumpjumper models which will arrive towards the middle of this year, providing there are no COVID-19 curveballs! 

I myself am a very passionate trail rider, invest personal time into Jonkershoek's Trails, working closely with trail builder Bennet Nel, a good friend. I completely get the passion and excitement around trail riding ... I share the stoke!

You are most welcome to call me at the office (021 808 7333). Would be only too happy to chat further.

Have top weekends,

Bobby.

I don't necessarily agree with this.

I genuinely enjoy technical singletrack, proper XC courses, but also appreciate being out in the open during proper endurance rides over long distances. My full sus XC bike can do both and really is a good middle ground for me. 

Obviously a trail bike would be nice, but I like the uphills a lot (as much bombing down technical or flow STO) as well, so XC is my choice because of that reason. XC bike trumps a gravel bike on gravel roads for the simple reason that it is far more comfortable on century + rides. Sure, you can consider that it is not intended for that purpose, but it sure does the job with aplomb.

I'd like 5 bikes, but my one XC bike has to deliver to all my varying requirements ;-) 

I think you are in agreement with me. This thread goes on about people needing to change their mindsets with regard to trail bikes, and rather buy those instead of xc bikes.

My point is that people should ride a bike that makes sense for them. As you note, your xc bike makes sense for you, and you enjoy it. Based on that why should you get a trail bike (assuming you can only have one bike).

I also pointed out the an xc bike does a great job on those long district (gravel) roads.

I switched from a Giant Trance to a 2019 Stumpy ST. I am now quicker on the technical downhill stuff as well as climbs and long gravel roads. In my opinion there is nothing in Cape Town besides the obvious full on double black diamond downhill lines that requires anything with more travel than the Stumpy has. It's a great all rounder.

Hello All,

I was just pointed to this thread by a friend. This is Bobby Behan from Specialized Bicycles Africa. To confirm certain points in the thread we initially brought the Stumpjumper Base and S-Works Stumpjumper Frame to market. However, a couple of months ago we ordered various other Stumpjumper models which will arrive towards the middle of this year, providing there are no COVID-19 curveballs! 

I myself am a very passionate trail rider, invest personal time into Jonkershoek's Trails, working closely with trail builder Bennet Nel, a good friend. I completely get the passion and excitement around trail riding ... I share the stoke!

You are most welcome to call me at the office (021 808 7333). Would be only too happy to chat further.

Have top weekends,

Bobby.

I have much respect for suppliers getting involved on forums like these. It shows they do listen, and its also good to hear their side of the story, there's always 3 sides to a story ;-)

There is also no other brand in SA that comes close to the involvement and investment Spaz shows in terms of building and supporting trail building. So our frustrations with certain shop personnel and stock shortages aside, one has to respect the effort they put into the local scene.