Huck to flat, yay or nay.

Pieter1

Howzit guys/girls.

Huck to flat, is it a good or a bad idea? Any tips and trick to make it a better idea if it is a bad idea?

How high is the drop, how forgiving is your suspension..

I would let my back wheel drop down first and take the brunt of the impact.. way more forgiving than landing both wheels flat, where you are way more likely to snap the steerer or steerer tube connections..

How high is the drop, how forgiving is your suspension..

I would let my back wheel drop down first and take the brunt of the impact.. way more forgiving than landing both wheels flat, where you are way more likely to snap the steerer or steerer tube connections..

It’s a big bike with 170 and 155 of front and rear travel.

Suppose waist height of an average person mostly bit there are some bigger ones that are beginning to interest me.

Ah, so sounds like you are doing it for fun.. in that case, hucking to flat can put tremendous strain on your body.. I have read about guys who now have wrist/ankle/back pain and one who have had to have their ligaments to their ankle reattached..

You have some good travel already and it will handle bigger Huck's but, I would say be more careful of the strain on your body..

suck it up buttercup!!!

just get someone to record you please...

Hahaha! I need a stand or something for my GoPro.

I no longer huck to flat from higher than knee height. Blew my back out doing a huck from 5ft up and landing back wheel first.

The force that the front came down with seriously hit me hard causing the damage.

I’d like to add that any trail builder that designs a huck to flat of any unreasonable height should not hold a shovel.

You have bags of suspension but the bigger you go eventually it's capacity will be reached and what ever the case is it will soften but not totally negate the impact on your body.

Also your speed will help with keeping your force in forward motion and the landing feel softer, the only problem is the higher you huck the faster you have to go to roll off smoothly and hence the more chance of it all going horribly wrong and you have to land like a descending stone...

Thanks guys. These are not rampage big but probably around chest hight and most land on grass and some on sloped drive ways. These are just some drops around our neighborhood.

The act of dropping from a great height onto level ground. Sometimes unavoidable, but the act of doing it intentionally and/or repeatedly is widely regarded as unintelligent and unnecessarily damaging to one's bike.

Nay, Nay

The act of dropping from a great height onto level ground. Sometimes unavoidable, but the act of doing it intentionally and/or repeatedly is widely regarded as unintelligent and unnecessarily damaging to one's bike.

Nay, Nay

Hahaha! Okay. Glad I came here for some wisdom.

Nay, Nay

I would call it counter-intuitive rather than unintelligent

• 1 month later...