How steep is this road?

Zebra

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, our newest/youngest Savage is taking great pleasure of relieving the older savages of their KOM's

When your youngest Savage is the same as as the number of DC's one of your other riders has done.

That must be the worst ending of any ride in CT.... i would move just for that reason alone!!! :blush:  :blush:  :D

Getting up to some of the houses above Clovelly and Simonstown is as bad or worse... We have some good options in CT!

I know its not cycling related, but a few weeks ago I took a walk up the steepest road in the world (as verified by Guiness book of records) Here is the photo.

attachicon.gif120359142_10157068701001266_5614314619494282991_o.jpg

I have also had the pleasure Pain of attempting to ride my bike up Yellowood pass in Legends safari resort. A field of 400 riders. 3 rode to the top.

EDIT - Just realised I have a bald spot.

So... were you one of the 3 or were one of the 397 wimps?  :ph34r: 

Some more pics taken from the wiki page

Note to self... need to check handbrake at next service

I know its not cycling related, but a few weeks ago I took a walk up the steepest road in the world (as verified by Guiness book of records) Here is the photo.

attachicon.gif120359142_10157068701001266_5614314619494282991_o.jpg

I have also had the pleasure Pain of attempting to ride my bike up Yellowood pass in Legends safari resort. A field of 400 riders. 3 rode to the top.

EDIT - Just realised I have a bald spot.

But you have some nice bikes with petrol to do that hill.

For comparison .... Swartbergpass is 500m elevation in 5km .... that section before the "Droe waterval" is hectic !!

Problem with Swartberg Pass (if you are heading north) is that it just gets steeper and steeper (and the road quality gets worse and worse).

• From Matjiesrivier: 21.1km @ 4.6% (963m elevation gain)
  • From Kobus se Gat (about half way): 11.3km @ 6% (678m gain)
  • Last 2.9km @ 11% (319m of gain)
  • Last 1.25km @ 15.4% (195m of gain)

It's a beast to ride up there.

So... were you one of the 3 or were one of the 397 wimps?  :ph34r: 

I actually remember the three people (or at least two of them)

Hanco Kachelhoffer and his teammate were the only competitors that made it, and the event cameraman also made it. I reckon the cameraman is the hero of the day.

Getting up to some of the houses above Clovelly and Simonstown is as bad or worse... We have some good options in CT!

Jaaa... you want to have the mountain, be prepared to *** off somewhere on every ride!!  :whistling:  :whistling:

Jaaa... you want to have the mountain, be prepared to *** off somewhere on every ride!!  :whistling:  :whistling:

mate of mine stays on top of linksfield ridge

There are 3 ways to get to his place after a ride, Kallanbach, Silvias Pass or Cyrildene.

I actually remember the three people (or at least two of them)

Hanco Kachelhoffer and his teammate were the only competitors that made it, and the event cameraman also made it. I reckon the cameraman is the hero of the day.

Yip, I was also a walker the day Hanco was one of three to ride up it. 

Like the day I walked up parts of die Ouberg pass in Trans Karoo I am not too embarrassed about walking if everybody else is doing so as well.

What is horrible is when  you want to walk but others are riding and you don't want to be the first to dismount and just keep pedaling even when you suspect you may be faster on foot...

ps. I also remember the days when 42x21  was a climbing gear and I got passed up Robbers pass near Pilgrams Rest by an old woman, on foot, carrying a bundle of firewood on her head.