Why I don’t wear branded clothing.

DR ◣◢

Because they are brand sluts. The companies try and make the brand desirable the people buy the kit because it is desirable and expensive and now your mates can see that you spend a boatload om ZARS on kit. Simple Marketing 101 - stroke the brand conscious egos and you keep making money. 

Same can be said for why people buy Polo (as an example) vs Mr Price. If there was no banding how would you be able to show off to your mates that you are with it and have burnt cash on it.

Or alternately

"I like the look of that, can I afford it?'

If the answer is yes they buy it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they are brand sluts. The companies try and make the brand desirable the people buy the kit because it is desirable and expensive and now your mates can see that you spend a boatload om ZARS on kit. Simple Marketing 101 - stroke the brand conscious egos and you keep making money. 

Same can be said for why people buy Polo (as an example) vs Mr Price. If there was no banding how would you be able to show off to your mates that you are with it and have burnt cash on it.

Yeah, but nah.

There is no visible branding on all the Country Road and Trenery stuff I wear, but I still buy it. Why? Because I like the cuts, fabrics and quality. Simple.

Of course there are diminishing return curves, but again there is a world of difference between the cut, fabric and details like the seams and design of the zip and fastener on something like Specialized's Atlas Pro shorts and merino jerseys and the stuff you can buy from Cape Storm or First Ascent. Yes, I've had many items from all three and many more cycling brands over the years. Yes, it's more expensive for a reason.

Branding and quality do not need to go hand in hand.

Lots of brand name, quality items have very minimilistic branding. Polo has been mentioned before, generallly very sublte branding, but still enough to make it out. They know thier market is concerned with status, so the branding needs to remian visible, without being in your face - Lacoste/Leqoc and others are similar.

Then some really quality items have even less branding. but the quality and comfort feel is still there. Levis for example, the leather patch is a give away, but its still a quality item, and will last years. there are very few t-shirts that last as long as a plain black or white Levis v-neck, and that has almost no branding, but I will gladly pay the asking price.

The Fox and Troy Lee types stuff can really be a bit over the top in my opinion. 

Don’t think for a second Mr Price aren’t making a chunk of change and they sell their stuff faster than just about anyone - if they pay 50 bucks you are paying 120 - and this is a value retailer

Yeah, but nah.

There is no visible branding on all the Country Road and Trenery stuff I wear, but I still buy it. Why? Because I like the cuts, fabrics and quality. Simple.

Of course there are diminishing return curves, but again there is a world of difference between the cut, fabric and details like the seams and design of the zip and fastener on something like Specialized's Atlas Pro shorts and merino jerseys and the stuff you can buy from Cape Storm or First Ascent. Yes, I've had many items from all three and many more cycling brands over the years. Yes, it's more expensive for a reason.

I like to judge a clothing brand's quality by their basic tees. 

Mr Price. They feel lekker soft, but the weave is incredibly poor and stretches after one wash. 

PnP. Same. 

Makro. Strangely, their supplier seems to get a good level of quality and their tees last quite well, incredibly well for the price. 

WW. Simply unbeatable, in the sub-R150 per tee range. I can wear one of their tees for far longer, and it stays true to form. 

Pep, Ackermans, Checkers: Don't even try. 

I now only buy tees from WW or more "quality" providers. Their Trenery & Country Road stuff, while expensive, is orders of magnitude better than alternatives at the same price point. 

Since it’s Friday.

To all the people out there proudly sporting their Fox or whatever branded gear with a big logo on it, here’s my question.

Why did you pay +- R2500 for your riding kit to advertise the brand for free. You just turned yourself into a walking billboard.

I don’t do this with casual or riding kit... why are you?

I suppose you also dislike the current trend on the TREK bikes....

Since it’s Friday.

To all the people out there proudly sporting their Fox or whatever branded gear with a big logo on it, here’s my question.

Why did you pay +- R2500 for your riding kit to advertise the brand for free. You just turned yourself into a walking billboard.

I don’t do this with casual or riding kit... why are you?

Do you spraypaint over the logo on your bike?

Do you chisel the badge off your car?

Do you spraypaint over the logo on your bike?

Do you chisel the badge off your car?

Thread is about clothing and not my car or bike. And no, I didn't chisel anything off my car and my frame is unbranded. Not that it matters.

Thread is about clothing and not my car or bike. And no, I didn't chisel anything off my car and my frame is unbranded. Not that it matters.

Seems to me like it's the same concept.

You spend lots of money on a car (or bike for most of us) that carries the brand on it and we then advertise it. 

Seems to me like it's the same concept.

You spend lots of money on a car (or bike for most of us) that carries the brand on it and we then advertise it. 

My bike is my pride and joy. I built it for me and my riding pleasure. I don't need to have branding on it for bragging rights. 

I don't care if someone recognizes the frame or not. I chose not to brand it. 

Car is really irrelevant in this discussion.

My bike is my pride and joy. I built it for me and my riding pleasure. I don't need to have branding on it for bragging rights. 

I don't care if someone recognizes the frame or not. I chose not to brand it. 

Car is really irrelevant in this discussion.

I'm pretty sure that's not the reason most of us ride branded things.

i bought some Quicksilver tees from the surf shop this weekend. they were all half price and they all say Quicksilver. Sorry...

Stop bragging (?)