Stupid hub vs stupid fork vs stupid me

mahleu

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a quick release set up

What is the part number of the disc rotor?

and what disc brakes are fitted?

That's a through axle, just not an axle that requires a hex key. I think most fox forks have that axle.

I think the cap that has been removed from the disk side may need to be swapped out with the cap on the non-disk side

That was my first thought. Just checked the IceTech rotors on my bike - he has them the righr side up...

Was about to say this. Icetechs would make it pretty hard to mount them the wrong way around...they are riveted onto the outside of the center bit and they also have a recessed cnc’d section that goes over the hub.

You’d really have to not even know how a wall socket/plug fits together to get that wrong imo

post-64325-0-37304600-1603515064_thumb.jpeg

Uhm why is there thread on the indie of the hub where the cap looks like it should just press in?

Seems like the cap should just press in while the hub should take a end cap that should thread in

Where did you get the hub and end cap?

please post a pic of the front of the bike. 

Will do, from which angle?

I think the cap that has been removed from the disk side may need to be swapped out with the cap on the non-disk side

They don't fit the other way around.

Uhm why is there thread on the indie of the hub where the cap looks like it should just press in?

Seems like the cap should just press in while the hub should take a end cap that should thread in

Where did you get the hub and end cap?

No idea, I assume the bearings (or something) screw in. End caps fit snugly, they came with the wheel. 

Some rotors work on some frames and others don't. I hade to remove some Hope Floating rotors on one bike as the 'rivet' joining the steel brake surface to the alu spider 'ting tinged' on my brake mount no matter what I did. 

I replaced them with SRAM in line rotors and boom, 100%.

Maybe try another non off set/joined rotor and see if that makes a difference?

Looks like a quick release set up

What is the part number of the disc rotor?

and what disc brakes are fitted?

Definitely TA. 

Shimano SM-R176-M. I have tried with another brand and same thing. 

You sure thay disk is mounted the right way around?? Writing on the outside?

It is. Writing on the outside. I did also try mounting it backwards just to see if it would give slightly more clearance. 

If the hub fits in the fork, surely the end caps are irrelevant? In the one pic of the disc against mounting to the hub, there is clearly thread visible between the "back end" of the rotor and hub. The disc should presumably sit flush against the hub? Is there a spacer between the hub and disc? Clearly something is pushing the disc further away from the hub then it should be, almost as if there is a boost adapter behind the disc to use non-boost wheels in a boost fork.

If the hub fits in the fork, surely the end caps are irrelevant? In the one pic of the disc against mounting to the hub, there is clearly thread visible between the "back end" of the rotor and hub. The disc should presumably sit flush against the hub? Is there a spacer between the hub and disc? Clearly something is pushing the disc further away from the hub then it should be, almost as if there is a boost adapter behind the disc to use non-boost wheels in a boost fork.

End caps will easily effect it, if the disc side end cap is not wide enough, the disc will hit the brake mounting blocks, it needs to be the right width.

I'm thinking some light filing on the brake mount may be the easiest option, looks less than 1mm and it's only in a small section. 

When you fit the wheel, do you struggle or is the some space between the fork and the end caps before you tighten up the axle?

Will do, from which angle?

They don't fit the other way around.

No idea, I assume the bearings (or something) screw in. End caps fit snugly, they came with the wheel.

Head on. Want to see how the wheel lines up between the fork legs.

Sorry to keep everyone in suspenders. Pics here. Disc is touching the brake mounts (on the fork). Have tried without caliper attached and same thing.

Did you get this fixed? To me it looks like someone filled down that end cap in your last pic.

The part number is never that close to the edge and the top should be black not shiny

Did you get this fixed? To me it looks like someone filled down that end cap in your last pic.

The part number is never that close to the edge and the top should be black not shiny

Yup...just did a quick exposure change on that pic. Doesnt even look like the cap it is threaded like the hub is?

post-64325-0-66324400-1603647257_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555