Frosty

Let's get traction  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a time slot

• Friday night (18:00 - 20:00)
    • Saturday afternoon
    • Sunday afternoon

It’s a Strava segment, so it will always be a race.

The road is brand new, super smooth tar. Double lane for more than 50% and a single lane leading in/out of the first u-turn;

You start on a flat bit, then right 90° leading to a downhill to the middle traffic circle;

The traffic circle halfway is a minor chicane, so doesn’t pose too many problems;

The traffic circle at the far left (West) is big enough to maintain most of your speed, however a good bike handler won’t drift outwards. Look out for the inexperienced guys to your right (drifting outwards);

The next bit is uphill, but prevailing winds make it a tailwind. If the beast from the east blows, then this is a block headwind.

The next left is 90° but is sweeping bend into a short downhill before the final 180° at slow speed.

A final power sprint to the line before repeating the above 10-15 times (depending on the time + one lap).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are noobs on Gravel bikes, wearing baggies and riding with flats allowed to join?

Ordinarily, no? Flat bars don’t mix well with drop bars. That said, we will see what the attendance is like and place you in noob group.

Safety is (all) our responsibility.

Ordinarily, no? Flat bars don’t mix well with drop bars. That said, we will see what the attendance is like and place you in noob group.

Safety is (all) our responsibility.

Well it is a gravel bike, it has drop bars, not flat bars

Yeeeeeesss!!!! This is such an important type of racing and it can benefit all different categories. I agree on the seeding by ability/strength. I don't understand why South Africans are so hesitant to race criteriums. I would definitely support this and would urge as many people as possible to support and get involved as will listen :-)

Please don't make it a Saturday afternoon - there is track league at Hector Norris Park on a Saturday from 2pm. Would be so great to encourage people to support both.  I know your criteriums won't be sanctioned, but imagine you can encourage the "culture" that was around about 10 years back where people would race the Dome parking lot criterium on a Tuesday afternoon, ride Engen to Engen on Wednesday mornings and then do the Delta Park MTB night race on Wednesday evenings. Being able to do all of it was something of a badge of honour, but at the end of the day actually building your racing capacity (and bike handling) significantly. 

Well done to you for taking the initiative with this. Will definitely support!

Will keep an eye on this.

Dont know if Crits is something I'll enjoy, but may just give it a go and take it from there.

Crits are exciting to watch and more to ride.The guys are doing this at Killarney in Cape Town...Covid permitting I believe

Well it is a gravel bike, it has drop bars, not flat bars

Sorry, just read your post again and saw flats... my bad. Flat pedals have no problem mixing with cleats.

I do believe that club-organized events can be sanctioned, without fees. I remember seeing the mail a while back, but we want to keep this as informal as possible, and let the racing dictate the way forward.

The Dome Crit did come up in the conversation when this was discussed over coffee.

No prize money, just good, hard racing - and new skills to be learnt for the noobs.

Yeeeeeesss!!!! This is such an important type of racing and it can benefit all different categories. I agree on the seeding by ability/strength. I don't understand why South Africans are so hesitant to race criteriums. I would definitely support this and would urge as many people as possible to support and get involved as will listen :-)

Please don't make it a Saturday afternoon - there is track league at Hector Norris Park on a Saturday from 2pm. Would be so great to encourage people to support both. I know your criteriums won't be sanctioned, but imagine you can encourage the "culture" that was around about 10 years back where people would race the Dome parking lot criterium on a Tuesday afternoon, ride Engen to Engen on Wednesday mornings and then do the Delta Park MTB night race on Wednesday evenings. Being able to do all of it was something of a badge of honour, but at the end of the day actually building your racing capacity (and bike handling) significantly.

Well done to you for taking the initiative with this. Will definitely support!

Noted on the Saturday track racing. The Crits from a few years back were also held on Sundays to cater for the track riders.

This i what concerns me. Should I be using my old bike rather ?

As long as you old bike is still "roadworthy". Although I never came short, I was always worried someone would take me out. I was probably the only guy that downgraded my bike when I was still doing this but I was still able to be up front. Yeah it's a bit heavier than my TCR but it still has ok equipment and the wheels are upgraded. I guess you just learn to work a bit harder. Brakes is fairly NB for some crit racing(route dependent) and my brakes work just as good on the raleigh. I only have 9 speed vs 11 on the TCR but that never affected me as I never changed gears much. I think if I was doing a crit on a route that was less technical, like a race track for eg, then I would ride my TCR, But builders warehouse parking lot, no thanks.