Raleigh M-30 from the 90s

shahilj

I've come through to my parents home and in the garage is my trusty old Raleigh M-30 mountain bike in all it's (former glory)

BACKGROUND

I got in when I was around 11/12 (so around 1997) and it provided me with hours and hours and hours of good times. I raced people with it, tried going off road, fell MANY times, and even went airborne more than I should have. Let's not forget the skids I did that weirdly did not destroy the tyres.

It's HARDY!

Steel frame

Shimano 15 speed (3x5)

Shimano calipers

26" wheels

When I realised it was a 26" my eyes lit up as I realised I can actually do something with this bike!!

The bike will be used for some gravel riding, road riding, and some riding down the promenade. Gravel tyres seem to give the best of both worlds and I'm keen to try this as a build.

MY IDEA

The plan is to obviously turn this into a GRAVEL bike or something like that.

Wheels

These obviously need to be changed as the wheels are warped and the rims are rusted. This is also the major elemt that I will change.

As this will be used as a gravel bike, I wanted something thinner, sleeker, and not as MTB like.

There are a few options:

• Do a straight swap with another 26" tyre
  • Try to fit in a gravel 700c type tyre
  • Be smarter and use a 650b or similar

The clearance looks like I could squeeze in the 700. The 650 may be a smarter idea.

Tyres

I want to put in something that's not very MTB like. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Brakes, Gears, Drivetrain

When I said that this is hardy, I meant it. These honestly do not need to be changed! They work extremely well, Even the brakes stop things DEAD. 

All I want to do is:

• Wash and Lube
  • Test out the cables to see if these need to be changed
  • Change the brake pads as the rust would have eaten into them
  • Get a gold chain (not really)

The 3x5 is ancient and is a relic of a kids bike but it really works and since it still functions really well, I want to keep it.

Handlebars

Keep these for now but consider upgrading to drops.

Seat

This looks old so will change this but this is not a priority.

QUESTIONS TO YOU...

What do you think?

Am I insane?

Is this a great little project to go ahead with?

I would also like some advice on:

• What are the best wheels and tyres to use?
  • Any advice on how to go about fitting the wheels in with this setup?
  • Any practical challenges you may have solved previously with something like this?
  • Is keeping the drivetrain etc. a good idea?
  • Would I be able to change the handlebars if I wanted to?

post-150346-0-86343800-1603536938_thumb.jpg

post-150346-0-82502900-1603536946_thumb.jpg

post-150346-0-06793200-1603536968_thumb.jpg

post-150346-0-33595200-1603536981_thumb.jpg

post-150346-0-92837700-1603536987_thumb.jpg

I would do it, why not?

Biggest thing I see is with a wheel size change.

Being rim brake you will need to get shorter brake arm so it will brake correctly!

Enjoy

if you move away from 26", you will need to change the brake calipers as they won't grip the rim otherwise.

As everybody else knows that riding 26" wheels will almost certainly lead to to Covid if not something worse, why don't you put in a "wanted" add in the classifieds here and buy a seriously nice set of wheels that have been cluttering up someone's storeroom for 10 years and then fit sticks. Spez make a nice one in that size, or fit balloons.

I think you're throwing good money at a donkey, rather look for a better 2nd frameset to build onto. Those old clunkers where built using standard hi tenstile steel and weigh a ton.

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes

I think you're throwing good money at a donkey, rather look for a better 2nd frameset to build onto. Those old clunkers where built using standard hi tenstile steel and weigh a ton.

Definitely the case!

It is sturdy and will not break though so taking eddy's advice, would be best to get some 2nd hand wheels for a couple hundred and see where it takes me. Doing this mostly because of nostalgia after all!

You are ignoring one important factor, sentiment.

This is his childhood bike (how I wish I had kept mine). He wants to keep it and do something with it.

If Pick n Pay is still selling them, rather go and buy a new one and transfer the parts to your project bike.