Anyone here ever visited the Philippines?

MJ the Expat

Hi fellow cyclists.

My company has offered me a senior position in the Philippines.

I have never been there before. Anyone here that has ever gone there and can provide some insights as to what it was like?

If you like diving (or are willing to look at starting), or exploring, or islands, or beaches, then I'd say take the position and it will 100% be worth it. Short island-hopping flights are plentiful and cheap and each break you get could be a spectacular trip.

Manilla is busy and crowded. It'll take some getting used to driving there, you'll claim GP driving skills but that place is next level - not aggressive but just incredibly tightly packed. The expensive side of town is clean and beautiful and as first world as you get, the majority though is proper third world. We went up to Pampanga and Clarke base which was overly Americanized thanks to the war, and its quite odd with the US overlay on top of this very different scenery and infrastructure. 

We then went to Boracay (post rebuild) which I'm sure you won't be stationed at but good grief its beautiful.

It also catastrophically hot. And sweaty.

Yes, I am very familiar with the Philippines, Lost count the number of times I have been there, its my second home.  Its much like the 3rd world of Asia - there are many problems, poverty is one of the biggest. Reason for this are many, but this is all to evident most places you go, especially Manila and you will need a strong stomach. Corruption and graft are major problems too.

But the people are generally amazing, in my travels I have rarely if ever had a stressed out moment only friendliness., but you will need patience, stuff doesn't always work, things don't happen on time etc

As mentioned the American colonial era had a big impact, as did 350 years of Spanish colinisation, although there are little fond memories of the Spanish. English is spoken just about everywhere. The Spanish left their mark in the language, the food, the genetics, the de-facto religion, 90% + are Catholics.

Cycling: is so hot and humid generally so early morning rides are just about the only option.

Where is the job? happy to oblige with more info.

Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan are close and cheap to get to.

And take up Scuba!  best in the world, plentiful and cheap.

Boracay: man oh man , what a beach!   But its really become over developed, grossly so, It got shut down for 6 months by Rody since sewerage from the crassly built hotels that cater for plane loads of Koreans and Chinese ran straight into the sea. Standing room only on that beach last time I was there.

First time I went was like 15 years ago, it was small boutique hotels and nice places to hang out. First open water dive I did was there, its okay to learn diving there, but options elsewhere are much better. They are limiting visitors now I think, but the damage is done. Much like here, if there is money to be made,a  certain elite connected class will be racing into the action with no restraint.

Manilla is busy and crowded. It'll take some getting used to driving there, you'll claim GP driving skills but that place is next level - not aggressive but just incredibly tightly packed.

There have /are building a skyway system in Manila, which should sort out traversing the city but yes, bumper to bumper chugging all the way.

I've driven a fair amount in the provinces, the most amazing thing is how people give way. Say there is a main road you need to cross to drive on the other side, its bumper to bumper with Jeepnees, you can sit and wait for eternity or you can just edge forward a bit, and oncoming drivers will give way, no problem. Takes some getting used to!