Desert Dash 2020

Gravity Sucks

Anyone entered for this years DD?

Are you guys driving up by car or flying?

Bike transport. what to do if you flying?

Thanks.

You would have to fly. Currently Namibia is only open for leisure travel by air. No road borders are allowing liesure travellers in

But I Realise I havent anwered the actual question.

Bike boxes are well within airline baggage size llimits. But every airline has a different policy for travelling with sports equipment, so will be a good idea to check with them beforehand. Most likely you will need to pay a small extra fee. 

give yourself an extra 20min for check in. You normally need to check your luggage in as per usual, they will weigh the bike box at the luggage check in, and give you a sticker, but you will then need to take it through to the non conveyable baggage drop, and sign it in there, before going through security.

Make sure you bike is covered for travel by your insurance. Airline baggage insurance normally covers a maximum item value of R2000.00 or so, so it is completely inadequete to cover your bike.

Thanks.

I'm in for attempt number 12!

We are driving up by car as the Ariamsvlei and Noordoewer border posts have been opened and you need a negative certificate not older than 72 hours.

If you are flying, get a bike box from your LBS, chuck the bike in and you're good to go. Note T-Boss' suggestions as well. I've flown up twice with the bike in a box and had no issues...

I'm in for attempt number 12!

We are driving up by car as the Ariamsvlei and Noordoewer border posts have been opened and you need a negative certificate not older than 72 hours.

If you are flying, get a bike box from your LBS, chuck the bike in and you're good to go. Note T-Boss' suggestions as well. I've flown up twice with the bike in a box and had no issues...

Just make sure about this, I will also ask around again, but as of last week, those borders were only open for returning residents, or persons travelling on business. For Leisure travel is was fly in only. But if this has changed, that is great news

I saw that same thing on some of the Namibia FB groups too, but it clearly says under the heading Travellers coming for tourism - that you must present the Negative test before boarding your flight to namibia,

Ariamsvlie has been open for business travellers since we moved to level 1 in South Africa, but to the best of my knowledge, tourism, or Lieusure travel is by via Windhoek or Walvis Bay only (meaning fly in only).

I will ask a friend from Namibia to confirm as well.

Thanks.

I did it two years ago (2 times in a row).  I lived in Swakop the first time but we flew there the second time, just get a new bicycle box from a LBS.  Make sure its a smaller box (to be able to go through the airport conveyer systems at OR), take off your front wheel and handle bar (with everything connected) and it will fit nicely.

Then bubble wrap and duct tape the crap out of it.  Out of our 3 bikes only one got damaged, so I do recommend using ample bubble wrap.

Good luck, it's tough going through the night with little sleep.  Are you in a 4, 2 or single team?

Also, don't under estimate that first stage, it is only 34km but the climb up Kupferberg is not easy.  The high altitude plus very hot conditions in the afternoon add to the difficulty.  My second year I suffered up there because during training, I did to much endurance and too little high intensity.

Edited by Theog

I saw that same thing on some of the Namibia FB groups too, but it clearly says under the heading Travellers coming for tourism - that you must present the Negative test before boarding your flight to namibia,

Ariamsvlie has been open for business travellers since we moved to level 1 in South Africa, but to the best of my knowledge, tourism, or Lieusure travel is by via Windhoek or Walvis Bay only (meaning fly in only).

I will ask a friend from Namibia to confirm as well.

Ok, seems I was confused. Borders are now open for drive in, so long as you have a 72hour or newer Negative PCR test

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

A partner and I are keen on entering a 2 man team for the 2021 Dash, but we have some questions:

1) How quickly does the entries sell out? 

2) I have done some ultras in the past so I was wondering how this one compares?

3) Is it really tough or will we be ok? I am not too concerned about my fitness level and experience but rather that of my partner, he has not done anything further than the Tshwane Classic (+/-110km)

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

A partner and I are keen on entering a 2 man team for the 2021 Dash, but we have some questions:

1) How quickly does the entries sell out? It normally takes about 2 days to fill up. With covid people are a bit more hesitant.

2) I have done some ultras in the past so I was wondering how this one compares? It is only 225 km per rider on the 2 man with between 1744 and 2940m of climbing - depending on which stages you ride. The first half is normally hot, hilly and windy and the last half flatter, cooler and windy. I found it harder than the 36One, others found it easier...

3) Is it really tough or will we be ok? I am not too concerned about my fitness level and experience but rather that of my partner, he has not done anything further than the Tshwane Classic (+/-110km) You'll be OK but your partner might want to start looking at one or two longer rides ranging from 150km upwards

13 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

1) How quickly does the entries sell out? 

2) I have done some ultras in the past so I was wondering how this one compares?

3) Is it really tough or will we be ok? I am not too concerned about my fitness level and experience but rather that of my partner, he has not done anything further than the Tshwane Classic (+/-110km)

4 man goes in literally minutes, 2 man not so bad - couple of days, and single not a problem to get a spot at all.

Its tough, especially if you do 2 man or single, I done it twice 2017 & 2018 in a 4 man team, also challenging but far less hectic.  You should be fine I think.

I suggest you do the first half its much tougher, the second is a lot easier let your team mate do that rather, here its more a question of being able to be in the saddle for a long time.  Agree, get your partner to up his mileage somewhat.