Thumbs up to Garmin SA.

Jaco Steyn

I have a Garmin Forerunner 35 that's in daily use. Last week the band holder (the small thingy on the strap that keeps it in place) broke. I contacted Garmin SA via their website to find out what a replacement would cost. I have had it for a while and I am pretty sure any warranty has lapsed. Later that day I received an e-mail from their customer support requesting my address, they're sending me a complete new strap, not just the band keeper, without any cost to me.

I felt that this gesture deserves a mention here, they were under no obligation to do this, and I was more than willing to pay for any replacements necessary. I have since received this replacement that was sent out by courier to me. Well done Garmin, I will continue supporting them. I have been a happy Garmin owner for many years now.

That 'thingy' is called a keeper. They sell them. I bought from their support office in Rosebank recently. They didn't offer me a new strap. I wonder why they did for you ? Kinda makes no sense. Kudos to them anyway.

I had a very old Forerunner 210 and the strap broke as well, went to their agents(Navworld) and also replaced one side of my strap with a second hand one they had in the drawer, free of charge

Edited by Dexter-morgan

WHAAAAAAT, Flip I also have a forerunner 35(actually think it's the 30 but they look the same) and my little band holder thing also broke, I just bought a new strap from takealot. 

Can you supply the address you mailed? Worth a try to see if they offer the deal to everyone. I got my watch for xmas last year so it's not even a year old.

I can vouch for them as well. My Forerunner 245 was about two months out of warranty when a number of pixels on the screen died, resulting in a large white circle on the display.

Garmin asked me to return it to the store I bought to send it in for assessment (Sportmans Warehouse). As it was out of warranty, I was expecting that there would be cost implications.

Two weeks later, the store contacted me to let me know Garmin replaced it with a brand new watch, no questions asked.

Same thing, bought a second hand Vivoactive 4, worked perfect then about 3 weeks ago the GPS stopped working. Handed in last week and got a new one today.  Note it was still under warranty but I did not have a POP. 

Edited by fras3rpi3t3r@gmail.com

WHAAAAAAT, Flip I also have a forerunner 35(actually think it's the 30 but they look the same) and my little band holder thing also broke, I just bought a new strap from takealot. 

Can you supply the address you mailed? Worth a try to see if they offer the deal to everyone. I got my watch for xmas last year so it's not even a year old.

My Forerunner 35 started giving eratic hart rate values.  I printed a set of HR values from the same time, taken from the FR35 and my Garmin520.

I took the watch back to SportsmansWarehouse.  They gave one look at the printouts, and did the paperwork to send it back to Garmin.

3 Weeks later I picked up a brand new FR35 at SW.  I enquired about my options for trading up ... ended up paying in the difference to a higher spec Garmin watch.

GOOD service  :thumbup:

Seems the strap is an issue with the 35's. Mine also broke, but I just use a small elastic band to hold it all together. The watch also resets itself on occasion, and has happened more than once after a long ride, losing all my info for the day. It's out of warranty, so just never bothered trying to get it sorted out. Good to hear their service is excellent though, and may consider an upgrade

My dad recently had a problem with his Fenix 5, whereby the screen stopped working. He took it to Garmin and they replaced it with a brand new unit.

A lot of the service industry in South Africa could learn from Garmin.

You can use a a suitably sized O-ring as band holder, works like a charm.

My dad recently had a problem with his Fenix 5, whereby the screen stopped working. He took it to Garmin and they replaced it with a brand new unit.

A lot of the service industry in South Africa could learn from Garmin.

Was it still under warranty..? If not he would've had to pay in R3700... Same thing just happened to me with my F5x+ and a mate with his F5x... Both were non repairable... We both had to pay in for the new replacement unit... We were both not able to pay in to upgrade... Strange that there's no consistency here...

I used their contact form on the website. https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?contactOverride=true&productID=552962&tab=topics

I then filled in the contact form.

Was it still under warranty..? If not he would've had to pay in R3700... Same thing just happened to me with my F5x+ and a mate with his F5x... Both were non repairable... We both had to pay in for the new replacement unit... We were both not able to pay in to upgrade... Strange that there's no consistency here...

According to Garmin, it was still in warranty, but I'm certain that the warranty had expired... R3700 is still not a bad deal though, but frustrating that one has to pay anything.

I had less than stellar service from them, my had a Vivo-something or another that kept breaking the straps where it went into the unit, had it replaced 4 times in a year, had to pay each time, even though I had my pop from the previous times.

Eventually they couldn't even repair anymore, and offered an upgrade, but only on a specific unit and not the unit I would've been interested in.