Tour de France 2021

gummibear

2 minutes ago, Knersboy said:

Finally! I have been waiting for someone to make those things cool and we all know Lachlan is the epitome of cool. Could use a pair of those cleated shimano slops for riding with my laaitie. Come to think of it, maybe it is better if they aren’t cool, at least I can embarrass the laaitie then.

The moment they become cool, add 2k to the retail price 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yeah I'm aware of those okes but I did say "most Successful Mtber in the road scene" as Cadel won the UCI World Cup Series twice in 1998 and 1999 then switched to Road full time after Sydney 2000 where he finished 7th. He also won the Cape Epic as a Master a few years back.

I recall Fuglsang's Cape Epic win, it was 2008. He didn't do much after that.

Peraud is also still fresh in my memory as he was seen as the next big French VTT hope after Christoph Dupoey retired. But why try to beat Julien Absalon when you can have a great career on the road.

So I suppose it is the debate of whether MvdP's current achievements on the road trump 2nd place GC at the TdF or an olympic silver and others. 

I have no doubt the MvdP road palmares will eventually eclipse what Cuddles did, even if it doesn't include a GC run at TdF

serious internet comparisons aside, let's look at cuddles going fast before Canyons were even a thing!

2009lottoVanSummerenLloydWegelius.jpg

oops no, not that one, this one!

2009Dauphinestage4.jpg

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

That is his best chance of retaining yellow after SATURDAY, by gaining some time on Friday. 

Dream scenario that won't happen: 

Wout: Hey Matthieu, wanna go long? You can secure your yellow for a few days more? I'll give you the stage as well. 

MvdP: Sure, let's show these ballies how you ride a TDF stage. 

Nick:Can I tag along? I'll set the pace on the climbs for you guys. 

Wout+MvdP: Cool, let's go! 

Stranger things have happened... 

nic dlamini?

i think that's a pipedream

40 minutes ago, Knersboy said:

Finally! I have been waiting for someone to make those things cool and we all know Lachlan is the epitome of cool. Could use a pair of those cleated shimano slops for riding with my laaitie. Come to think of it, maybe it is better if they aren’t cool, at least I can embarrass the laaitie then.

Slops, not Crocs, hey. Apply caution, @Knersboy

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

So I suppose it is the debate of whether MvdP's current achievements on the road trump 2nd place GC at the TdF or an olympic silver and others. 

I have no doubt the MvdP road palmares will eventually eclipse what Cuddles did, even if it doesn't include a GC run at TdF

serious internet comparisons aside, let's look at cuddles going fast before Canyons were even a thing!

2009Dauphinestage4.jpg

Cuddles won the 2011 TdF, lets not forget that and no its not a debate about current achievements but rather around how common the talent translates into success across multiple disciplines in one or consecutive seasons. Cuddles wasn't into CX as far as I know. He might have dabbled in it over the winter (most pro's do)  and no other male rider has raced CX, MTB and Road in the same and consecutive  seasons and been as successful as Mathieu. We have to look at Pauline Ferrand Prevot to find a similar diversity of talent in one cyclist. She held CX, Road and MTB World Championship titles in 2014/2015. So in this regard Cuddles comes closest to that sort of success and his key achievements were over a decade apart, not in one or consecutive seasons.

Pidcock is the only other male rider following the same path.

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Cuddles won the 2011 TdF, lets not forget that and no its not a debate about current achievements but rather around how common the talent translates into success across multiple disciplines in one or consecutive seasons. Cuddles wasn't into CX as far as I know. He might have dabbled in it over the winter (most pro's do)  and no other male rider has raced CX, MTB and Road in the same and consecutive  seasons and been as successful as Mathieu. We have to look at Pauline Ferrand Prevot to find a similar diversity of talent in one cyclist. She held CX, Road and MTB World Championship titles in 2014/2015. So in this regard Cuddles comes closest to that sort of success and his key achievements were over a decade apart, not in one or consecutive seasons.

Pidcock is the only other male rider following the same path.

and then there's Marianne Vos. Not spectacular at MTB as she was probably wining most of the tack events at the time. Terrible to call a woman a GOAT, but it sure applies here

36 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I am sooooo glad the photo shoots have advanced to this

Mathieu van der Poel rocks Poulidor-inspired kit for Tour de France  presentation | Cyclingnews

7 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

and then there's Marianne Vos. Not spectacular at MTB as she was probably wining most of the tack events at the time. Terrible to call a woman a GOAT, but it sure applies here

Marianne Vos - living legend.

4 hours ago, Ossie NL said:

Some geekie numbers from TT yesterday: Wout Poels had av power of 420W for full stage and weighs 66kg, so ~6.3 w/kg .... and comes 53rd on 2.41!!!!!  
So Pogi must have been around 7w/kg for the full 32 min.... nogal woes ek se!!!

If you look at Stefan Kung's face yesterday, it was nogal unbelievable 

Yoh, power breakaway group!

For Rog's sake I hope they disappear into the distance, take the win, and the peloton takes a 'rest day'