Tour de France 2021

gummibear

7 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

The problem is that he clearly breached the UCI rules of sprinting. They discuss it a bit in the Lanterne Rouge Cycling Podcast if you want to hear more, but there isn't really too much doubt that he deviated from the lane he started his sprint in, and that he endangered Merlier (yes, Merlier) who had to check his sprint to prevent a crash. But for whatever reason, the UCI won't enforce those rules. And because they don't enforce their rules consistently, those rules are broken repeatedly, and that makes sprinting more dangerous.  

Lantern Rouge?

As a general rule i do not trust people who wear sunglasses when they are indoors unless they are rock stars or professional boxers (preferably heavyweight division). 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, shaper said:

It is over and done with, so why still flogging a dead horse.  It is racing and race craft and they all do it.  You do realise we are half way through another stage, so nothing is going to change, no matter how much armchair analysis you do.

Maybe the analysis has nothing to do with flogging or trying to change anything, but rather trying to understand various things.

Clearly some people like to analyse and some don’t, it’s all okay and no need for either side to get excited. 

Edited by The Ghost

Just now, dsw said:

Lantern Rouge?

As a general rule i do not trust people who wear sunglasses when they are indoors unless they are rock stars or professional boxers (preferably heavyweight division). 

Love his analysis, but ja his sunglasses irritates the crap out of me as well. 

He called the option of a MvdP+WVA breakaway on today's stage in the preview of the TDF a week ago. 

8 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Yes, but even in rugby you have to stay in your lane when running back, and it's a penalty if you change direction to get in the way of the kick chaser ????. Blocking is one thing, deviating across the road to pinch someone into the barriers and obstruct them isn't quite the same 

Looks like we will need to make peace with the fact that action is only taken for a blatant discretion that is indefensible or if someone crashes. 

Seeing Julien Bernard pass his family, how many can claim to have an event (cycling or running) go passed your home? 

The Alberton 21.1km is the only event that I can say it has.

2052659C-88D5-4FA9-9B91-83392F46A3FC.jpeg

322065CD-3F7C-4F96-92A0-761BBA7CE997.jpeg

0A3F5456-98BC-4567-9EAF-3AABCBCCD048.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

What time gap are we thinking for the winners at the end of the stage here? 

10mins?

I think they'll try harder to close things up when things go uphill. If you give WVA a 10 minute advantage, I reckon he'll win the tour. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost said:

FWIW - I see Lanterne Rouge’s take on the Booohani manoeuvre was that he was protecting himself from Cavendish who was ducking in (again).

Also - Alpacin Fenix treating the TdF like an under 9 swimming gala trying to get a ribbon for everyone trying hard ????????????

Yes I agree with LR, Cav started that and Colbrelli wagged his finger at the wrong guy. Again fans and  riders don't like Bouhani so there is bias in apportioning blame from the outset. I like LR's no nonsense analysis

14 minutes ago, shaper said:

It is over and done with, so why still flogging a dead horse.  It is racing and race craft and they all do it.  You do realise we are half way through another stage, so nothing is going to change, no matter how much armchair analysis you do.

Because we're always on about fairness and equal application of the rules and then we have Cav. Even when he stupidly put himself out of the 2017 race and got Sagan thrown out many still supported his actions. Sagan had to take the matter to Council of Arbitration for Sport (?)to get the UCI to overturn his penalty

5 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Love his analysis, but ja his sunglasses irritates the crap out of me as well. 

He called the option of a MvdP+WVA breakaway on today's stage in the preview of the TDF a week ago. 

The dude understands  betting and odds better than most. I reckon he's a rock star gambling game hacker

20 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Yes, but even in rugby you have to stay in your lane when running back, and it's a penalty if you change direction to get in the way of the kick chaser ????. Blocking is one thing, deviating across the road to pinch someone into the barriers and obstruct them isn't quite the same 

Sprinting is always going to be messy - expecting riders to ride in straight lines when they launch after they've been swapping off wheels, trying to hold on to their lead out man and sheltering behind whoever they can is a little optimistic.

Cycling rules have always and will always be a little grey - like ignoring riders working their way back to the peleton behind team cars, the long bottle etc.

11 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

I think they'll try harder to close things up when things go uphill. If you give WVA a 10 minute advantage, I reckon he'll win the tour. 

you frget about the guy in Yellow. He's got the hurry up because he has to get back to Les Gets before 6pm for XCC

34 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The dude understands  betting and odds better than most. I reckon he's a rock star gambling game hacker

I think I heard in one of his videos a while ago (or maybe when he did watchalong commentary a few years ago) that he was banned from sports betting in Oz after doing a little too well.... Apparently objective analysis and an understanding of the sport can make you unpopular with the bookies.