Tour de France 2021

gummibear

20 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Why is every bike part photo, including mine, taken on the same freezer?

The truth in this had me in stitches????????????

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, King Pluto said:

The truth in this had me in stitches????????????

Cross thread somehow, but its the truth! :D

32 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

It wasn't western media that made Nic miss the time cut. It wasn't western media that sent Nic to the Tour.

Shouldn't your argument be that western media is giving athletes from Africa more coverage than what their performances warrant because they are from disadvantaged backgrounds?

Note: Cycling needs more transformation, I believe we can all agree this. I think it is great that Nic is raising the profile of cycling in Africa. I also think that Doug is very astute at using this for his team's profile. 

I would love to see a more diverse peleton.

Cycling is embarrassingly vanilla.

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Looking at that profile I'm not so sure 'twice up Mont  Ventoux' means exactly what everyone thinks, i.e twice up the famous side if you will ... it would appear first up the back not so steep side but probably still a killer for normal humans and then up the iconic climb?

Seems that 'Waiting for Gaudu' is taking on a new meaning today

17 minutes ago, TheoG said:

No working for Carapaz, trying to put TP under pressure so that Carapaz can hopefully benefit, but I dont see that happening, TP simply to strong.

I'll wait for Carapaz to attack, and then Pogacar to look at him slightly bemused and ride away, just like Tignes?

46 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

unpopular political incorrect opinion

As good as an athlete Nic is and how awesome his life storyis, he didnt exactly feature in this years race.

All this publicity surrounding him not getting in car seems like they treating him like an amateur rider who shouldnt have been there but given the opportunity based on his race/background/life story etc.

Why is the benchmark set so low? South Americans have similar challenges and I am not sure whether their countries celebrate mediocrity?

Yes he had a touch race, crashed etc and all but shouldnt we be holding our athletes to higher standard?

Just tired of western media portraying non whites from Africa as second tier athletes and being held to a lower standard...... 

Very few riders if any actually feature at their first tour. This is a fact.  
Nic's journey to le Tour is pretty remarkable considering his background comparing it to other regions isn't really a fair or accurate representation. 
Africa as a continent has some complex history and regional dynamics to overcome, I don't see them being held to a lower standard nor being treated as second tier athletes. By the same token it's a pretty lazy generalisation by saying "western media" especially since many of the outlets are actually coming round to the reportage on riders like Nic. 
He also captured the support of many a fan on that stage, there's some amazing visuals from the Grubers with spectators running alongside Nic and encouraging him on. 
Nobody is celebrating mediocrity but rather encouraging progress towards a broader cycling scene. Does the messaging often come over as contrived, sure it does but for the most part it is moving forward.  
It's a long game. And if we're going to infer idealogical attitudes we can bring up a number of teams with questionable sponsorships. 

Just now, TNT1 said:

I'll wait for Carapaz to attack, and then Pogacar to look at him slightly bemused and ride away, just like Tignes?

Yip, that's how I see it also going down.

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Soccer is embarrassingly chocolate then? I'm very confused at your comment.

1 hour ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Tony Martin out of the race and off to hospital.

That looked blady painful ????

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It is very vanilla, but I'm not sure if that'll change anytime soon. It's a sport with a high entry cost, so it's never going to be very popular in 3rd world countries. And kind of due to the way the world looks, most 1st world countries look quite vanilla.  

4 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Very few riders if any actually feature at their first tour. This is a fact.  

MVDP: Hold my beer....
MVDP: Nevermind, I'll hold it myself..... 

1 minute ago, Mountain Bru said:

Well it's hooked up, but it seems to have trouble leaving the station. Pogacar still in Z1 playing snake on his head unit

At least they are trying