Tour de France 2021

gummibear

1 minute ago, Mountain Bru said:

Well it's hooked up, but it seems to have trouble leaving the station. Pogacar still in Z1 playing snake on his head unit

Luckily Pogacar is so strong. I mean, Formolo looks like a dog just licked a wasp, and Rui Costa (no disrespect) a mountain domestique? Tadej has to do it all himself.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jensie said:

At least they are trying

I agree.
But I think they might be riding for second place. Otherwise I don't seem the point of riding tempo in front of UAE without dropping anyone. 

2 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

It is very vanilla, but I'm not sure if that'll change anytime soon. It's a sport with a high entry cost, so it's never going to be very popular in 3rd world countries. And kind of due to the way the world looks, most 1st world countries look quite vanilla.  

There are a lot of emerging economies have the ability and resources. It's about building on those and it's slowly happening. SA as an emerging economy is well ahead of a number of 1st world nations in UCI standings.

5 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

MVDP: Hold my beer....
MVDP: Nevermind, I'll hold it myself..... 

Bravo. Hence "very few" 

Just now, Mountain Bru said:

I agree.
But I think they might be riding for second place. Otherwise I don't seem the point of riding tempo in front of UAE without dropping anyone. 

Agree

Just now, Mountain Bru said:

I agree.

They isolated Pogacar on Tignes. It didn't help them, but they did shell all his team mates.

10 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Soccer is embarrassingly chocolate then? I'm very confused at your comment.

Soccer is super diverse.

Leagues across the world field fantastic athletes of all ethnicity and religious orientation.

The Peleton is not. It would be super rad to see it being more diverse.

Last time check on Cav was around 10 minutes before they started the Ventoux climb for the 1st time.... If he lost 10 minutes on the Cat 4s and flat stuff before the big climbs started, it's not looking good for him if the time cut is around 40 minutes again.   

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Soccer is super diverse.

Leagues across the world field fantastic athletes of all ethnicity and religious orientation.

I'm still not sure what the point is.

Are people suggesting that the sport is changed to accommodate society's angst?  

Just now, TNT1 said:

I'm still not sure what the point is.

Are people suggesting that the sport is changed to accommodate society's angst?  

I think the point is that it would be rad to see more diversity in a sport that we all enjoy?

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

I think the point is that it would be rad to see more diversity in a sport that we all enjoy?

Oh. It wouldn't change my appreciation and enthusiasm for the sport in any way.

Also, I don't like talking to people that use the word rad so many times in a conversation.

22 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Very few riders if any actually feature at their first tour. This is a fact.  
Nic's journey to le Tour is pretty remarkable considering his background comparing it to other regions isn't really a fair or accurate representation. 
Africa as a continent has some complex history and regional dynamics to overcome, I don't see them being held to a lower standard nor being treated as second tier athletes. By the same token it's a pretty lazy generalisation by saying "western media" especially since many of the outlets are actually coming round to the reportage on riders like Nic. 
He also captured the support of many a fan on that stage, there's some amazing visuals from the Grubers with spectators running alongside Nic and encouraging him on. 
Nobody is celebrating mediocrity but rather encouraging progress towards a broader cycling scene. Does the messaging often come over as contrived, sure it does but for the most part it is moving forward.  
It's a long game. And if we're going to infer idealogical attitudes we can bring up a number of teams with questionable sponsorships. 

beautifully articulated!

In other news Cav is 15min back already....

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

Soccer is super diverse.

The cost to start playing soccer is a R50 soccer ball for 22 people. The cost to start cycling is a R1000 bike (at least) per person. That's always gonna be a big hinderance to the sport growing in developing countries because it won't easily become a mainstream sport..  

14 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Soccer is super diverse.

It would be super rad and it would be even more super rad if wealth was more evenly distributed so that Africans can benefit from the wealth in their continent and not export value at a low cost and buy at back at high cost.

Football is much cheaper to play

Edited by DieselnDust

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Oh. It wouldn't change my appreciation and enthusiasm for the sport in any way.

Also, I don't like talking to people that use the word rad so many times in a conversation.

I have no idea why you have to be so obnoxious and obtuse. I hope you feel good about it.

I will continue to use whatever words I like, although I believe if you READ the thread instead of trying to be awkward you would see I repeated myself because you kept asking the same question, making me repeat myself. 

So there's that.

Each to their own

Gaudu making a comeback after his involuntary weight shedding... He must be suffering on another level.... Or Ineos' pace is pretty pedestrian.... Or both