Tour de France 2021

gummibear

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Isn't Pidcock making a play for the Olympic XCO?

They have a fantastic squad, I don't think they need much with regards a squad freshen up.

I don't know why they persisted with Gee. But we have seen a few teams throw some underperforming leaders out into the wild over the last 19 months.

bit harsh, his form up to the tour was very decent and I think he was a genuine podium contender - his problem is he needs bike handling lessons from Pidcock

This edition of the tour has been a little marred by misfortune - it hasn't detracted from the spectacle by any means, it's just meant that those who have stayed upright the most have a chance of coming 2nd

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A sprint finish in Carcassonne today. Cavendish for the win, but there are crosswinds predicted. DQ has the best chance of coping with that after a quiet day for them yesterday.

The fortified city of Carcassonne is a thing of beauty looking over the River Aude and the Canal du Midi running through the new town. A very pretty place to have a bit of history made

2 hours ago, TNT1 said:

On an America channel. He's still saying the wrong names and dropping Liggets all over the show.

But probably still making more sense than the two clowns currently commentating does. 

1 minute ago, Wannabe said:

But probably still making more sense than the two clowns currently commentating does. 

I've heard rumours. Fortunately I'm spared that as I watch GCN/Eurosport.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Isn't Pidcock making a play for the Olympic XCO?

They have a fantastic squad, I don't think they need much with regards a squad freshen up.

I don't know why they persisted with Gee. But we have seen a few teams throw some underperforming leaders out into the wild over the last 19 months.

Yes I think Pidcock is still going to do the Olympics mtb but it is possible (not ideal) to do both as he will not be targetting the GC.

Re the freshening up of the squad I think they need a genuine GC contender to replace Gee... a younger rider who can also time trial... sort of a Almeida type for example. 

5 minutes ago, dsw said:

Re the freshening up of the squad I think they need a genuine GC contender to replace Gee... a younger rider who can also time trial... sort of a Almeida type for example. 

So, what are Bernal, Geohegan-Hart and Ivan Sosa? Chopped liver all of a sudden?

1 hour ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

bit harsh, his form up to the tour was very decent and I think he was a genuine podium contender - his problem is he needs bike handling lessons from Pidcock

This edition of the tour has been a little marred by misfortune - it hasn't detracted from the spectacle by any means, it's just meant that those who have stayed upright the most have a chance of coming 2nd

I think the question is whether it is worthwhile to pay such a big salary to a ageing rider who has a tendency to crash and therefore put his team under huge pressure. If they offer him a reduced contract he will most likely leave. 

If he can stay upright he is imo together with Bernal, Pogacar and Roglic part of the tier 1 group of grand tour gc riders in the world.

But he does not stay upright.  

8 minutes ago, dsw said:

Yes I think Pidcock is still going to do the Olympics mtb but it is possible (not ideal) to do both as he will not be targetting the GC.

Almeida? the one leaving DQS? wonder where he'd go? ????

Just now, lechatnoir said:

Movistar.

Just now, TNT1 said:

So, what are Bernal, Geohegan-Hart and Ivan Sosa? Chopped liver all of a sudden?

Bernal is obviously still their main rider around which they should build their squad , Sosa blows hot and cold while Hart must still proof whether he just got lucky last year due to a weak field. 

9 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Great GC rider. The fact that he can time trial with the best increases his value a lot. 

2 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Anyone know what happened between Kwiatkowski and Mas? I saw a video where EM was not happy with MK, grabbing his arm and yanking it. They seemed to have a heated exchange of words.

Apparently Movistar didn't like that INEOS didn't help them chase Carapaz down and in fact made it difficult by taking slow turns on the front

16 hours ago, dsw said:

Does this mean Vingegaard would have toyed with the opposition even in the doping era or was the tailwind yesterday super strong?  ????

I must say it is rather ironic that doping has supposedly been brought under control but race speeds continue to rise and riders seem to hold top form now for most of the season (some anyway). Genetics must be evolving faster than PED...

Edited by Jaco-fiets
spelling

58 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Maybe they just want a Slovenian. They're very popular at the moment. Is Mohoric a real GC contender? 

2 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Apparently Gee's contract is up at the end of the year. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up leaving... Maybe to go be a domestique for Froomey at ISN ????

Edited by Mountain Bru

13 minutes ago, Jaco-fiets said:

I must say it is rather ironic that doping has supposedly been brought under control but race speeds continue to rise and riders seem to hold top form now for most of the season (some anyway). Genetics must be evolving faster than PED...

Now now... lets not ruin a good boring tour thread