Tour de France 2021

gummibear

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

Athletics is exactly where my mind went last night when dale posted the pic that began this train of thought. And its as you say, not even remotely comparable.

I'm putting it down to a badly comprised set of comparatives, again without knowing anything behind the details, but one(or just me) doesn't know the weather, the length of the stages (mentioned), wind, who was challenging, who was breaking away, time gaps, etc etc. I think theres so much additional that happens on the day that affects cycling. Its not always flat-out speed attacks.

Yeah, track cycling records might be more comparable to track running, come to think of it.

Anybody done such a comparison?

Narrow roads, DQS blocking as only 3 riders go up the road.

This suddenly leans heavily towards Cav for a Sprint gallop today

6 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

Max Walscheid seems to have borrowed Campenaerts' narrow, flared handlebars now that he's off.  

I would "like" your post, but we need @Matt to give us a puke emoji.

Edited by TNT1

19 minutes ago, dsw said:

Interesting that the 5 000 m world record for road track running has hardly improved at all over the last 20 years, while the records for the 10 000 m and the marathon improved by repectively 2 and 3 %. In road cycling the improvements appear to be up to 3x more. 

I know all about apples and pears and that we cannot compare road cycling to track and road running for a zillion reasons but such big differences between the improvements will make people suspicious. 

Not just the improvements that make people suspicious. A multi TDF winner has a life threatening crash, changes teams and gets dropped before Cav up a climb and people are now suspicious as to why he is slower.

5 minutes ago, dsw said:

Interesting that the 5 000 m world record for road track running has hardly improved at all over the last 20 years, while the records for the 10 000 m and the marathon improved by repectively 2 and 3 %. In road cycling the improvements appear to be up to 3x more. 

I know all about apples and pears and that we cannot compare road cycling to track and road running for a zillion reasons but such big differences between the improvements will make people suspicious. 

Tech is improving but the athletes who are competing are sports specific now days more so than ever. For example the make up of the 10 000 m Olympic podium places from 1912 to 1952 were all Europeans, the first African made the podium in 1964. From 1992 to 2016 there was only 1 non African on the podium!

1 minute ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Not just the improvements that make people suspicious. A multi TDF winner has a life threatening crash, changes teams and gets dropped before Cav up a climb and people are now suspicious as to why he is slower.

Multiple TDF winner needs some asthma or another bout of bilharzia?

7 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Yeah, track cycling records might be more comparable to track running, come to think of it.

Anybody done such a comparison?

World hour record (though with varied rules) in 2000 49kms, to 55kms in 2019.

Even from 2014 to 2019 it was 51kms to 55kms

10%ish.

Track cycling has so many races I'm not sure whcih one to pick on... but worth a longer look. 

7 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I would "like" your post, but we need @Matt to give us a puke emoji.

Now I missed your reply from the now deleted Hey theres my stolen bike thread ???? sigh

Just now, TNT1 said:

Multiple TDF winner needs some asthma or another bout of bilharzia?

I remember when the asthma pump thing first became a question, there was someone here that said he did an insurance quote for the multiple winner when he left school and on there he claimed he had asthma. Soooooo it seems he is like some guys we have here at work. Tuesday they subtly mention they feel a bit off, Wednesday there is the odd cough and sniff. Thursday they sucking halls all day. Friday they off, sick no note for the day. Only difference is some start planning these thing years in advance and not 3 days.????

Just now, Chris_ said:

Now I missed your reply from the now deleted Hey theres my stolen bike thread ???? sigh

That one didn't last long at all for obvious reasons. There also seemed to be 2 at one stage with the same heading. The posts were different. We can at least see how long the advert stays up.

For all of the UCI's funs and games around rules, I think the litter zone one is a real triumph. The amount of rubbish we see discarded in that area is staggering. And the thought of it all lying strewn around these beautiful environments we get to see, is pretty grim.

4 minutes ago, Jaco-fiets said:

Is our Louis MainCheese still in the tour?

16th on GC.

Going to have to see some big bonks from other riders for him to crack another top 10 unfortunately.

image.png.7016d4fb1bdf9de7cb9986a64a16edef.png

Scrolling through the GC list, I see three riders with time penalties. Anyone have info on what these penalties were for?

NACER BOUHANNI - 40s

IDE SCHELLING - 20s

TOMS SKUJINS - 20s

My best guess is sticky bottles or drafting too long behind a team car? But that is pure speculation.

20 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

For all of the UCI's funs and games around rules, I think the litter zone one is a real triumph. The amount of rubbish we see discarded in that area is staggering. And the thought of it all lying strewn around these beautiful environments we get to see, is pretty grim.

and yet some riders choose to take all their litter to the finish. perhaps they should get a time bonus?