Tour de France 2021

gummibear

10 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Scrolling through the GC list, I see three riders with time penalties. Anyone have info on what these penalties were for?

NACER BOUHANNI - 40s

IDE SCHELLING - 20s

TOMS SKUJINS - 20s

My best guess is sticky bottles or drafting too long behind a team car? But that is pure speculation.

Being on the start-line in Brest?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

16th on GC.

Going to have to see some big bonks from other riders for him to crack another top 10 unfortunately.

image.png.7016d4fb1bdf9de7cb9986a64a16edef.png

Jeez! Good on him. Last time he got top 10 he vanished.......well basically till now. Is he their "Main Cheese"?

2 minutes ago, Jaco-fiets said:

Jeez! Good on him. Last time he got top 10 he vanished.......well basically till now. Is he their "Main Cheese"?

Yep, he carries the first number for the team. Meaning he is most likely the protected rider for them.

Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert Matériaux

47 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Not just the improvements that make people suspicious. A multi TDF winner has a life threatening crash, changes teams and gets dropped before Cav up a climb and people are now suspicious as to why he is slower.

What's very strange is that he wasn't thaaaat terrible at the Dauphine last year, and even did some decent turns in the mountains. He would at least stay in the front group until TJV lit things up in the front.  And now his main GC rivals are Cav and Griepel? ????‍♂️

To be clear though I think Froome is clean (as in not doing anything illegal), and I'm not implying anything about him or his past performances. I think he's just too old to fully recover back to his old form.  

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Aero dynamic gains play a far bigger role the faster you travel. Marathon runners don't really run fast enough. remember the Sub 2hr marathon, that was achieved largely through pacing and creating a wind shadow for the runner to follow

1 hour ago, dsw said:

Interesting that the 5 000 m world record for road track running has hardly improved at all over the last 20 years, while the records for the 10 000 m and the marathon improved by repectively 2 and 3 %. In road cycling the improvements appear to be up to 3x more. 

I know all about apples and pears and that we cannot compare road cycling to track and road running for a zillion reasons but such big differences between the improvements will make people suspicious. 

Just to add here, aerodynamic gains over time will be more in effect for cycling.
The Spez wind tunnel stuff is pretty interesting on youtube and goes into a bit of detail regarding time saved over 40K at certain wattages.

I think this would tie into the track cycling comments. Best bet for track related stuff would be to compare the Hour Records which are done on track.
1972 - Eddy Merckx - 49.431
2019 - Victor Campenaerts - 55.089

Obviously a lot has changed regarding equipment and training, but ~6KM/H faster in 40years is a significant improvement.
Think back to the times when you started off cycling and your avg speed on a solo ride was 25KM/H and how hard you trained to get it up to the 30's, now imagine that diff going from ~50KM/H to 55.
Even comparing newer efforts under the revised more recent rules in 2014 still shows that athletes are improving due to better understanding behind sports science and physiology:

2014 - Jens Voigt - 51.110

Also I would say post 2014 you can kinda ignore PEDs for improvement gains due to the testing involved from the minute you announce your intent to challenge the WR.

5 minutes ago, Jurgens Smit said:

Obviously a lot has changed regarding equipment and training, but ~6KM/H faster in 40years is a significant improvement.

I would disagree. Post all the hour record distances over the 40 years and you'll see the incremental improvements. In one lump it looks like a massive jump, in reality, it isn't.

In the latest science of sport podcast, Prof Tucker incidentally goes into this exact subject a bit. Very informative. That dude knows his stuff.

Edited by TNT1

52 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

World hour record (though with varied rules) in 2000 49kms, to 55kms in 2019.

Even from 2014 to 2019 it was 51kms to 55kms

10%ish.

Track cycling has so many races I'm not sure whcih one to pick on... but worth a longer look. 

On this whole topic of improvements....

If you believe the marketing hype, these guys bikes are saving them 50W, their helmets are saving them 20W, their shoes are savings them 10W, their 1 piece stem & bars are saving them 12W, their jerseys are saving them 7W, and their aerodynamic jumbo pulley rear derailleurs are saving them 30W, not to mention the fancy BBs, ceramic chain lube, aero glasses, etc. Not sure what those savings are compared to, but I assume it's to other modern bikes? If you add it all up, and compare it to the kit the old guys had, they must be savings like 200W over Lance's Trek and baggy yellow jersey. 

(And thats not to mention new wheel and tyre technology which I genuinely think really does make a huge difference in rolling resistance and aerodynamics, and therefore energy used and speed)

But if you believe the ridiculous hype, the improvements are actually pretty weak considering they're saving an easy 50% in power compared to the boys on the speedy juice.  

I’m going to try the advice given

mute the clowns

and I’ll follow the pro commentators on this chat

15 minutes ago, Jurgens Smit said:

1972 - Eddy Merckx - 49.431

Looking at these two pics, it's almost surprising the difference isn't more than 6km/h.
ebykr-eddy-merckx-hour-record-windsor-colnago.png

XcPD2gVVviQuIV3HnzxrncftQVdd5N4aI8GQgLt01H_z5xX1MmbJSOEziYNIGLCLdxPAHGwXhwHEdnrzJJbLXl01eIrafJd1bzKxB3mYrToT7LyTYox7yOeGBPf8ug

But having said that, drag force increases exponentially with speed which is significant when it comes to the hour record. When you go from 49km/h to 55km/h  (12% increase) , the drag force you have to overcome increases by around 25% (provided everything else is the same). So I would expect the speed increases to get smaller and smaller over time as the power increases result in smaller speed increases the faster you go. 

1 minute ago, Chris_ said:

South of France this is a real tourism-drool trap today. Carcassonne will be a mega cherry on top

Why anyone would choose Paris over country side, and the South ????????beyond me

2 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

South of France this is a real tourism-drool trap today. Carcassonne will be a mega cherry on top

One of the best board games...

17 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

I’m going to try the advice given

mute the clowns

and I’ll follow the pro commentators on this chat

That is how I watch some Italian races on RAI.

28 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

On this whole topic of improvements....

If you believe the marketing hype, these guys bikes are saving them 50W, their helmets are saving them 20W, their shoes are savings them 10W, their 1 piece stem & bars are saving them 12W, their jerseys are saving them 7W, and their aerodynamic jumbo pulley rear derailleurs are saving them 30W, not to mention the fancy BBs, ceramic chain lube, aero glasses, etc. Not sure what those savings are compared to, but I assume it's to other modern bikes? If you add it all up, and compare it to the kit the old guys had, they must be savings like 200W over Lance's Trek and baggy yellow jersey. 

(And thats not to mention new wheel and tyre technology which I genuinely think really does make a huge difference in rolling resistance and aerodynamics, and therefore energy used and speed)

But if you believe the ridiculous hype, the improvements are actually pretty weak considering they're saving an easy 50% in power compared to the boys on the speedy juice.  

haha... My best ever Cape Town Cycle Tour time was achieved on a slightly too large Reynolds 753 steel framed Lejeune bike with a Shimano 600 groupset. I also drank quite a lot more beer and have never heard of or attempted periodisation back then.

I must admit the course was a bit shorter then.