Tour de France 2021

gummibear

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think the most polarizing thing about Cav's comeback is his obvious change in attitude, his acceptance of his mistakes and his openness.

To be this humble while winning is what gives the turnaround real credence. If he just mumbled it from obscurity no one would take it seriously.

I really like Cav mark2. I really like him and I was never a fan before.

Winning stages is one thing, winning stages while winning GC is another. But why let reason get in the way of something magic like this. Whether we like to admit it or not, we all need a feel good true life story right about now

which is why i don't think that comparing his comeback and wins to Eddie's record brings anything to the story. He's the most winning Sprinter of all time, including the TDF. That right there writes a unique story

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maincheese lost one spot, but the biggest loss is by G. Martin who goes from 2nd to 9th.

This 4-way battle for the Polka Dots is going to be stunning in the final week. 

58 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Andorra, where climbers go to climbing school. The Col de Beixalis truly delivered.

Aaaahhhhh, Sepp Kuss, the most prolific USA rider in recent times (apparently stays in Andorra, no surprise there) offers another scoop of success for the beleaguered team on Bianchis. He is the first USA rider to win a Tour de France stage in about a decade. 

"It's incredible. I'm lost for words. To be honest, I've really suffered a lot in this Tour, I just didn't feel I had the spice in the legs. Today I knew it was finishing where I live, and I was really motivated. Finally I had really good legs again so I'm so happy...” 

Pic by Getty Sport spacer.png

"beleaguered team on" Cervelos????

13 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

You going to go watch?

Thinking about it . . .  

7 hours ago, Chris_ said:

@Bonus what km are you going to be at?

You better make a sign saying hello to le hub. 

We do always take our flags with us ????

7 hours ago, geomark said:

What’s wrong with the traditional “Hi Granny and Grandpa” ? 

Ouma & Oupa . . . . 

23 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Nice article.

Not looking good for the other GC contenders then when you read the last couple of paragraphs.

What I find incongruous, and maybe it's just cause of the history of the sport, is that in press conferences, Pogacar doesn't say " I have never used peds". Instead he trots out the tired old line about being tested up the wazoo and never having failed a test.

What I also find interesting is that on the Ventoux, from Chalet Reynard to the top, Vingegaard set a new record, a minute faster than the record Superman set earlier this year (which itself was a minute or so faster than the Pantani days), and dropped Pogacar in the process.

How far do we stretch our belief in the unbelievable?

4 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

What I find incongruous, and maybe it's just cause of the history of the sport, is that in press conferences, Pogacar doesn't say " I have never used peds". Instead he trots out the tired old line about being tested up the wazoo and never having failed a test.

What I also find interesting is that on the Ventoux, from Chalet Reynard to the top, Vingegaard set a new record, a minute faster than the record Superman set earlier this year (which itself was a minute or so faster than the Pantani days), and dropped Pogacar in the process.

How far do we stretch our belief in the unbelievable?

What I find fascinating, is that our suspicion of doping is reserved only for the top performers. The guys finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th gets a free run from criticism.

Someone like Ben O'Connor, out of nowhere, he goes and rides the peloton into oblivion and goes 2nd, then suddenly he cannot follow the train of GC contenders soon thereafter.

Sure, I get the fact that the highest trees catch the highest wind. But like he said, proving a NEGATIVE beyond doubt is basically impossible.

Maybe it is best to enjoy the racing and take it at face value until such time as we have Postive test results? Else you will never enjoy the racing?

1 minute ago, Vetplant said:

What I find fascinating, is that our suspicion of doping is reserved only for the top performers. The guys finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th gets a free run from criticism.

Someone like Ben O'Connor, out of nowhere, he goes and rides the peloton into oblivion and goes 2nd, then suddenly he cannot follow the train of GC contenders soon thereafter.

Sure, I get the fact that the highest trees catch the highest wind. But like he said, proving a NEGATIVE beyond doubt is basically impossible.

Maybe it is best to enjoy the racing and take it at face value until such time as we have Postive test results? Else you will never enjoy the racing?

Oh, I have the same doubts about how fantastic Bahrain Victorious suddenly are. 

Also, is it ok to question the geographic oddity that is Slovenia? It's like East Germany or something?

BTW, I enjoy the racing. I'm Lance's biggest fan. 7 TdF wins. I even named my son after him.

4 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Speaking of muppets, what happened to Martin yesterday? He was with the yellow shirt group over the top of Port d'Envalira and lost contact on the descent? 

1 minute ago, TNT1 said:

Speaking of muppets, what happened to Martin yesterday? He was with the yellow shirt group over the top of Port d'Envalira and lost contact on the descent? 

I watched it Live as it happened. He had his shirt open as they crested the 2nd to last climb, unable to stay in the wheel of the Maincheese due to the increased drag. He just fell backwards as they descended. Silly mistake from him.

4 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

I watched it Live as it happened. He had his shirt open as they crested the 2nd to last climb, unable to stay in the wheel of the Maincheese due to the increased drag. He just fell backwards as they descended. Silly mistake from him.

Yeah, I watched it as well, it was unbelievable that that could happen. I assume his ds was livid.