Tour de France 2021

gummibear

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Besides Bernal, who do you think was missing from the start line that constitutes the current 'top 10'?

10 hours ago, dsw said:

My list of top Grand Tour GC contenders on current form:

Tier one: Roglic, Bernal, Pogacar

Big gap.

Tier two: Thomas, Carapaz, Yates x 2

Tier 3: Landa, Almeida, Evenpoel, Porte, 

New kid on the block : Vingegaard.

I think this is a good list.
You can add Haig to the "New kid" list too I think. I reckon he would have been up there too this year if he hadn't crashed out. Lopez is nowhere right now, but he's also been a consistent GC contender over the years. Quintana and Uran maybe also Tier 3? Also Dumoulin if his form is similar to previous years. And Pinot & Bardet on Tier 4. 

Regardless of who we think is in the "Top 10 GC contender" list at the moment though, my comment stands that this sure as hell isn't a list of the top 10 GC riders in the world: (Current GC top 10)

image.png.f02c08fc6c53f955a0dde953c42cc5eb.png

9 hours ago, TNT1 said:

I dunno if it was mentioned, but I must say, I really liked the way Ineos and Movistar combined forces at one point to really drive home the fact that they both use the same tactical handbook. I like a good comedy.

Maybe the tactics handbook is the real reason they bought Carapaz. Suddenly all the "we're gonna race differently" stuff they've been saying makes a lot more sense. 

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

Wait... What?! 

Sounds like a odd choice of team for him, but his options are probably a bit limited in the current economic climate. 

Apparently his entourage is like 20 people that he wants to take with him. Realistically, his only real options are smaller teams that will be happy to have him take over their team. 

14 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Speaking of entourages - was that Gary Blem I saw giving Froome a new wheel on the last stage?

The one and only. He transfered to ISN with Chris.

42 minutes ago, DJR said:

I've done a better time than both that guy and Eddy in the Argus......just saying.????

Lance DID ride the Argus!! I had totally forgotten the Radioshack comeback training camp they did here when Impey was riding for them. 2010?

9 hours ago, Eldron said:

Speaking of entourages - was that Gary Blem I saw giving Froome a new wheel on the last stage?

More telling, gave him a rim brake bike.

9 hours ago, Eldron said:

Those blonde locks are unmistakable

So, what will you be doing at work today? ????

Stage 16: 169 kms, just over 3000 km vert. Weather: clouds will build and there’s the chance of rain, a cool 16 degrees.

DBFC348E-61CE-4E35-96FC-063565775046.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

Just now, DJuice said:

More telling, gave him a rim brake bike.

How is that more telling?

I'm amazed the rim brake vs disc brake thing is still discussed. A guy like Froome has been a pro for a really long time on rim brakes. It makes sense that he still feels comfortable riding on.

There are so many billions of threads where guys are 'ride whatever makes you feel comfortable' etc but those same guys are arguing against/for rim brakes vs discs. 

Is it 'telling' that Pinarello have had Ineos transitioning onto disc bikes at this tour for the first time?

For me it's the same as dropper posts. When they came out people were all 'I can ride that trail without one and it's heavy' and 'Nino doesn't need one' but in reality dropper posts are awesome but no, you don't need one. It doesn't mean they aren't awesome just because you don't need one.

Disc/Rim, who cares. 

10 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Stage 16: 169 kms, just over 3000 km vert. Weather: clouds will build and there’s the chance of rain, a cool 16 degrees.

I'l be keeping a side-eye on WvA getting in the break and sprinting for KoM points... ????

GC battle will be relatively tame with two BIG mountain finish days coming soon.

31 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

DBFC348E-61CE-4E35-96FC-063565775046.jpeg

I'm excited for this week.

Tomorrow is basically uphill-only for 180kms,

the next day - Tourmalet - dum dum dummmmm!

next day we hold out breath for the Manx Missile,

the next day we get the sexy bikes out.

Wow!