Tour de France 2021

gummibear

39 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

How is that more telling?

I'm amazed the rim brake vs disc brake thing is still discussed. A guy like Froome has been a pro for a really long time on rim brakes. It makes sense that he still feels comfortable riding on.

There are so many billions of threads where guys are 'ride whatever makes you feel comfortable' etc but those same guys are arguing against/for rim brakes vs discs. 

Is it 'telling' that Pinarello have had Ineos transitioning onto disc bikes at this tour for the first time?

For me it's the same as dropper posts. When they came out people were all 'I can ride that trail without one and it's heavy' and 'Nino doesn't need one' but in reality dropper posts are awesome but no, you don't need one. It doesn't mean they aren't awesome just because you don't need one.

Disc/Rim, who cares. 

Journalists need to write about something.
Except that this article doesn't actually say much
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/chris-froome-switches-shimano-brakes-magura-284783

But I am amazed to see that they are still checking for motors in bikes!

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-12-july-2021-284775

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, splat said:

Journalists need to write about something.
Except that this article doesn't actually say much
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/chris-froome-switches-shimano-brakes-magura-284783

But I am amazed to see that they are still checking for motors in bikes!

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-12-july-2021-284775

Well, if they checked Cav's bike immediately after each stage win, maybe @DIPSLICK will stop insisting he goes back to fetch his e-bike before every sprint! ????

42 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

How is that more telling?

I'm amazed the rim brake vs disc brake thing is still discussed. A guy like Froome has been a pro for a really long time on rim brakes. It makes sense that he still feels comfortable riding on.

There are so many billions of threads where guys are 'ride whatever makes you feel comfortable' etc but those same guys are arguing against/for rim brakes vs discs. 

Is it 'telling' that Pinarello have had Ineos transitioning onto disc bikes at this tour for the first time?

For me it's the same as dropper posts. When they came out people were all 'I can ride that trail without one and it's heavy' and 'Nino doesn't need one' but in reality dropper posts are awesome but no, you don't need one. It doesn't mean they aren't awesome just because you don't need one.

Disc/Rim, who cares. 

I am all for disc brake bikes, that is the future and where I will spend money if I was in the market for a new bike.

But my trusty 2000 Giant TCR still does the job with rim brake.

Telling...english not my first language, perhaps could have used another words, one of those I regularly needs to google to understand that is used on the forum.

Was not looking for a discussion, nor a dig at pro/con disc brake, merely stated my observation. 

I have noticed the switch, commentators about 10 min later. Been down those mountains back in 2012, even bought some land down Marie Blanc, after 5 days my brake blocks was shot/gone/finished. Was using DA brakes, friends were on imported Token/Microshifts...those were dangerous.

CF has been outspoken about disc brake, SA publicly state if CF wants rim, he can have them, so to me that was a telling statement by CF, that he prefers rim to disc. All in the hope of rekindling the winning days of old.

5 minutes ago, DJuice said:

I am all for disc brake bikes, that is the future and where I will spend money if I was in the market for a new bike.

But my trusty 2000 Giant TCR still does the job with rim brake.

Telling...english not my first language, perhaps could have used another words, one of those I regularly needs to google to understand that is used on the forum.

Was not looking for a discussion, nor a dig at pro/con disc brake, merely stated my observation. 

I have noticed the switch, commentators about 10 min later. Been down those mountains back in 2012, even bought some land down Marie Blanc, after 5 days my brake blocks was shot/gone/finished. Was using DA brakes, friends were on imported Token/Microshifts...those were dangerous.

CF has been outspoken about disc brake, SA publicly state if CF wants rim, he can have them, so to me that was a telling statement by CF, that he prefers rim to disc. All in the hope of rekindling the winning days of old.

I sort of think that if the guys can ride and win on disc brakes, maybe it's Froomie who is the problem, not the equipment...

Like I said, he has been a pro for a really long time using rim brakes and likely feels comfortable in what he knows. Sometimes boomers aren't able to mentally accept change so they blame technology...... ????

Edited by Jewbacca

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

CF, SA, DA, what the hell is with all the initials? Can't people talk (type) decently anymore? How the hell is one supposed to make head or tail of what is being said?

WTFUMean?????

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I sort of think that if the guys can ride and win on disc brakes, maybe it's Froomie who is the problem, not the equipment...

Like I said, he has been a pro for a really long time using rim brakes and likely feels comfortable in what he knows. Sometimes boomers aren't able to mentally accept change so they blame technology...... ????

I'm sure all of us contributing to this thread have our little idiosyncrasies - I do Duathlon and I absolutely cannot cycle without gloves - I've tried and I have this mental block - to a point that when I do my first run I run in gloves just to save time in transition.  I have no doubt that I'm just as fast on the cycle leg without gloves, but my mind plays tricks on me.  I'm certainly no pro, but I do think that us mere mortals do share some similarities with the Pros and I'm guessing maybe Froome just has a block against disks?

I think it was also mentioned here somewhere that Cav is just happier on a Spez. I mean it's not like BMC or Cervelo makes rubbish frames, but perhaps he just believes that when he's on Spez, he's a much better rider?  Who knows.

16 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

CF, SA, DA, what the hell is with all the initials? Can't people talk (type) decently anymore? How the hell is one supposed to make head or tail of what is being said?

Apologies, time saver vs spelling check for the grammer ..... (not allowed to use that word any longer)

In afrikaans, indeks:

CF - Chris Froome

SA - Sylvan Adams (moes sy naam kontroleer)

DA - Dura - Ace  

Going to bore you with a few pics over the next three days of my trip in the Pyrenees way back in 2012.

At the time if was this trip (50 col challenge vs Cape Epic) at about 60% of the cost of Epic.

Not one day I regret my best decision ever to go to the Pyrenees. It is a must for all cycling enthusiast!

We were a small group of 5, three Safa`s and two Germans.

The one guy had a bike shop and fleet of e-bikes, what is a e-bike...? And even more enlightening, it was his money turner, having a fleet in a few towns. 

IMG_5725.jpg

35 minutes ago, Andymann said:

I'm sure all of us contributing to this thread have our little idiosyncrasies - I do Duathlon and I absolutely cannot cycle without gloves - I've tried and I have this mental block - to a point that when I do my first run I run in gloves just to save time in transition.  I have no doubt that I'm just as fast on the cycle leg without gloves, but my mind plays tricks on me.  I'm certainly no pro, but I do think that us mere mortals do share some similarities with the Pros and I'm guessing maybe Froome just has a block against disks?

I think it was also mentioned here somewhere that Cav is just happier on a Spez. I mean it's not like BMC or Cervelo makes rubbish frames, but perhaps he just believes that when he's on Spez, he's a much better rider?  Who knows.

Absolutely. My last sentence was said firmly tongue in cheek, especially as I'm a fair bit older than Froomie and certainly no boomer.

I occasionally do long trail runs and am super particular about my laces and my socks. I have sets of brand new laces in zip lock bags in a drawer as well as R200 plus pairs of socks which are used as slippers as I just cannot run in them. Silver infused anti blister merino wool after shower slippers.

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

I'l be keeping a side-eye on WvA getting in the break and sprinting for KoM points... ????

GC battle will be relatively tame with two BIG mountain finish days coming soon.

The vert isn't really a factor today. Its a little more than the DC and shorter so I'm looking for a Pure Savage Rider for my fantasy team but they appear to have missed the entry deadline????

Guess I'll have to go with Wout for the win

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The vert isn't really a factor today. Its a little more than the DC and shorter so I'm looking for a Pure Savage Rider for my fantasy team but they appear to have missed the entry deadline????

Guess I'll have to go with Wout for the win

Shhht, don't give away Fantasy tips like that... ;)

Allaphillipe is always a danger as well.

But this tour is so unpredictable, maybe a Qhubeka rider takes it today...

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

You don't want to get name wrong here! You'll get a stick of TNT up ur backside if you do. Sticking to initials is far safer

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Lance DID ride the Argus!! I had totally forgotten the Radioshack comeback training camp they did here when Impey was riding for them. 2010?

Was it R200k you had to pay to take a ride with him the rain?

12 hours ago, Eldron said:

Speaking of entourages - was that Gary Blem I saw giving Froome a new wheel on the last stage?

He is hding to Tky 4 the ZA team AFAIK