Tour de France 2021

gummibear

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/cycling-moves-down-sports-doping-list-three-places-to-8th-with-18-recorded-cases-in-2020-489189

So 3 world tour cyclists bust in 2020, the lowest in 15 years, 8 World Tour riders in 2019..... There were also WAY less tests conducted.

Then there's this

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/12/sports/cycling/cycling-freeman-team-sky-doping.html

So no, things are very much still happening and the 'change in attitude' won't happen unless there are a number of years between guilty parties and adverse findings. If there are multiple naughty people caught every single year, there can be no shift away from the perception.

There will always be naughty people.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

So in the same breath I must have a mental shift and believe that the peleton is clean despite 'unbelievable' performances but also accept that there will always be naughty people?

By accepting 'there will always be naughty people' doesn't that completely put a stop to any mental shift that says when there is smoke there isn't fire?

To be fair the peleton has cleaned up a lot since the EPO, HGH and Testosterone days. Hell some cyclists got lunch bags with all 3 at the end of tough stages.

It may not be squeaky clean but it is way cleaner than the 90s!

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

So in the same breath I must have a mental shift and believe that the peleton is clean despite 'unbelievable' performances but also accept that there will always be naughty people?

By accepting 'there will always be naughty people' doesn't that completely put a stop to any mental shift that says when there is smoke there isn't fire?

Key points:

• Healthy scepticism is accepting that there is a high level of confidence in the measures in place.
  • not everyone is bad/cheating
  • Not every athlete that wins is a cheat
  • Not every person that is accused is guilty
  • And yes there will always be a cheat but they're probably in the minority rather than the majority.

I'm under no delusion than the any sport is 100% clean. Life is not as clear as bookends.

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

contrasted by this:

Standard from Cav and not the 1st time.

When you know how hard staff work - especially soigneurs and mechanics at a race; never mind the Tour, you do not speak to or treat them like this and not in public. 

Edited by J Wakefield

Cav = Jekyll and Hyde personality.

Loves to play up for the cameras and knows how to self promote when the going is good.

When the going gets tough for him personally he cant hide his nature and the prat comes out.

Multiple winner, but a true champion is judged by when the times are tough and the cameras are not looking. Or how you exit a team that gave you a fair shake, but you didnt deliver.

12 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I wonder what the 2 bad-ass Badminton players doped with!????

32 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Enjoy the TT day everyone. 

Tadej and WvA the obvious one's to watch for the Win. 

Some shuffling expected in the final Top 10 on GC. 

Go Wout !  ????

3 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

Unacceptable.,I think he should be booted out the race, or pulled by team,   - like other bad boys have been ejected (Moscon, Boohani et al)

Am sure you have never complained about your LBS for shoddy work on your bike? Or that you are at the back end of a 3 week tour  one of the hardest, where you are mentally and physically tired with emotions running high! You are just perfect in all respects and never loose your cool.....

Whilst it is unacceptable and has been apologized for it is not even in the same league as throwing a punch or head butting whilst cycling at speed in a peleton.

Edited by shaper