Tour de France 2021

gummibear

4 hours ago, TNT1 said:

After he won the Giro with Movistar, he signed with Ineos, after having done that (and it was still secret) he repeatedly told Movistar he would re-sign with them and he was going to stay with them. They reportedly built a team around that commitment.

He signed with Movistar and then signed with Ineos and broke his Movistar contract

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Two sides and both have a vested interest in spinning it their way. 

I can't blame any rider for leaving Movistar. He should be applauded but his acting skills..... the only thing missing from the highlights package of Carapaz faking it is the 70's jazz music

nairo, landa, carapaz all left movistar during this time, don't blame any of them (not they have shot the lights out elsewhere!)

they only came 9TH in the teams comp this year at TdF, that's a disaster for Movistar after winning this no one cares about award for 5 of the last 6 editions!

I knew the kid thing would be unpopular though. 

Wanting the podium to just be the three dudes that came 1st 2nd and 3rd doesn't mean you hate kids, or don't have family values, or care more about money than family or whatever. It just means that there's a podium, and you want only the 3 winners on it for the 10 minutes they're up there. I'm not advocating for guys never seeing their kids again. I'm advocating for 10 minutes on the podium without your kids..... Just like almost every other sport in the world. Like you won't see kids on the podium at the Olympics? (and that obviously doesn't mean the Olympics hate kids or family values or whatever) 

And as a sponsor, wanting your logo clearly displayed on the front page of every newspaper doesn't mean you don't value family. It just means you're sponsoring the team for marketing purposes, and therefore want your logo displayed as much as possible. For sure all of us cycling fans know that UAE sponsors Pog, but the millions of people who don't follow the tour and just see a pic in the paper maybe don't.

This is my opinion though. It's okay to disagree..... ????

Remember that V had and did ride in support of Roglic until the day Roglic said the team can leave him and he abandoned the next day.

V would of and did lose alot of time riding in full support of Roglic and this where most of his time was lost in those 5 odd minutes. Should he of been allowed full freedom from day 1 - result sheet time wise would be different. 

17 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

He signed with Movistar and then signed with Ineos and broke his Movistar contract

JB mentioned this on the Move but I hadn't heard it elsewhere till you just confirmed it. That is a pretty bonehead move to sign two contracts and have to be bought out/terminate another on unfriendly terms. Long memories in cycling if the fansantidoping watchdog group is anything to go by

15 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

It might have been a bit of a hot take to look down on Vingegaard's performance. I just couldn't get over the fact that everyone is hyping him up so much when he finished 5:20 down on Pogacar. Thats a massive margin, and it probably could have been bigger if Pogacar hadn't defended as much in week 3, and had been trying to gain time, not just win stages. But having thought a bit more, and had a look where Vingegaard actually lost that time, his performance is waaaay more impressive to me. I stand corrected.

But you can't deny that the way a race is ridden is heavily dependent on the time gaps and positions on GC. Comparing him to Pog isn't really a fair comparison in my opinion considering the time gaps between them when Roglic fell out. It'll be super interesting to see how he fairs when he doesn't start with a 5 minute handicap and when Pog or Bernal or whoever is actually racing to beat him everyday rather than just defending a huge lead. 

Well, if you look back to Tour of The Basque Country this year, Vingegaard and Roglic beat Tadej in the final GC standings.

That's an underrated, but very tough race. And if you take into account the rest of the top ten, it's not exactly a list of nobodies. This youngster appears to be a proper GC contender.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:50 PM, Mountain Bru said:

I knew the kid thing would be unpopular though. 

Wanting the podium to just be the three dudes that came 1st 2nd and 3rd doesn't mean you hate kids, or don't have family values, or care more about money than family or whatever. It just means that there's a podium, and you want only the 3 winners on it for the 10 minutes they're up there. I'm not advocating for guys never seeing their kids again. I'm advocating for 10 minutes on the podium without your kids..... Just like almost every other sport in the world. Like you won't see kids on the podium at the Olympics? (and that obviously doesn't mean the Olympics hate kids or family values or whatever) 

And as a sponsor, wanting your logo clearly displayed on the front page of every newspaper doesn't mean you don't value family. It just means you're sponsoring the team for marketing purposes, and therefore want your logo displayed as much as possible. For sure all of us cycling fans know that UAE sponsors Pog, but the millions of people who don't follow the tour and just see a pic in the paper maybe don't.

This is my opinion though. It's okay to disagree..... ????

It could get worse . Valverde with his grandchildren ......

11 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

So a bet is a bet. Cav made it to Paris. Well done!

As agreed, 20 bags of dog and cat food and some blankies have been delivered to Louise at @DJuice’s request.

@Wayne pudding Mol here is me eating my dog biscuit. Now you guys all keep your end of the bargain and support your local SPCA.

F9C102CE-87A6-4AF6-BBBD-580F20A91D01.jpeg

4905C1FB-DBEE-4023-9F23-9944CB1C8C56.jpeg

A4C2F00E-470C-4217-BEF5-34B99276402B.jpeg

Awesome Patch! Great sport.

Thank you!

Thanks from the Upington Animal Welfare Society for the "ruim" donation of food and blankets.

The donation of food came just at the right time.

Edited by DJuice
more info

45 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Absolutely brilliant @PatcheliciousI will make my donation tomorrow to local George SPCA and Odin (another local cat and dog oganisation) 

In retrospect I should have made you eat them in short socks on your bike with a saddle bag and Fanny pack 

That bra will brave a saddle bag and fanny pack;  never ever ever the short socks. ????