KMC 11 Speed Chains

The Ouzo

Current chain on my bike appears to be a KMC chain, its quickly heading to needing replacement according to my chain check tool.

I've read a few threads on the BB saying they are noisier than the equivalent Shimano chain, I've definitely noticed that its noisy but just put it down to the 11 spd drive train that I'm not used to.. I need to clean and lube every 200-300km otherwise it gets annoying.

So do I replace with another KMC, or spend the extra and get a Shimano ? or, other alternative ?

You spend money on the cheapest chain you can find and replace it as soon as necessary to save your cassette and chainring. IF the noise bothers you then maybe bump up a price category.

SRAM make a really good 11 speed chain which costs 350zar.

If you aren't going to spent 2k on an XX1 chain that lasts forever, these are the answer.

To chase down a noise and eliminate one potential source on my 10 sp Ultegra equipped roadbike I replaced the chain with a KMC 10 speed. I did give it a fair distance to "bed in" but found it to be crap - very noisy. I will never buy one again.

Just my random sample of 1....

I was told they are made in the same factory as Sram....Well the Citi Golf was made in the same factory as the Golf 5.....didn't mean it was the same car or the same quality....

a fellow hubber has offered me a PC1110, before I buy it from him I jsut want to confirm my quick research.

Apparently the Sram chains dont play nice with Shimano cassettes when you have 11 spd and more.

How true is this ? apparenly you get gears skipping and all sorts of nonsense   

Current chain on my bike appears to be a KMC chain, its quickly heading to needing replacement according to my chain check tool.

I've read a few threads on the BB saying they are noisier than the equivalent Shimano chain, I've definitely noticed that its noisy but just put it down to the 11 spd drive train that I'm not used to.. I need to clean and lube every 200-300km otherwise it gets annoying.

So do I replace with another KMC, or spend the extra and get a Shimano ? or, other alternative ?

In my experience the noise depends on what chain ring and cassette you're running. 

Personally find the combination of Sunrace cassette, hope chainring and KMC chain works well. SRAM X1 chain on the same set up is less smooth 

a fellow hubber has offered me a PC1110, before I buy it from him I jsut want to confirm my quick research.

Apparently the Sram chains dont play nice with Shimano cassettes when you have 11 spd and more.

I have never noticed this.... I have Shimano 11 speed stuffs and the PC1110 on 2 bikes and my gears are crispy smooth

That was nonsense advise. I use sram, Shimano, kmc and even wipperman connex chains on my Shimano 11speed Road bike and it never skips.

I've also run 12 speed chains and no issue

Nothing wrong with KMC in my experience. Value foe money compared to Shimano and Sram. Used them all, and still prefer KMC.

My chain gets put in the scrubber after each ride, along with washing the rest of my bike. No need to have that grinding paste adding wear for 200+km.

Nothing better than climbing on a shiny clean bike before each ride anyway.

Nonsense.

just make sure the 11sp chain is used on an 11sp cassette etc etc

Do not want to derail the thread but want to know: Is it MTB or road? 200-300km's then clean and lube.... On my MTB I clean and lube weekly and I only do around 50km to 90km per week. I may also just be too paranoid

Do not want to derail the thread but want to know: Is it MTB or road? 200-300km's then clean and lube.... On my MTB I clean and lube weekly and I only do around 50km to 90km per week. I may also just be too paranoid

Don't think ya paranoid. I have to relube every 40km or so here on TM side and that has been with...Smoove, Squirt, Rock n Roll, MucOff, Homemade Paraffin wax stuff, etc. So ya. As for full chain clean...well depends how lazy I am in all honesty.

Jip, lot more maintenance on a MTB chain.

On very dusty rides I clean the chain in less than 100km.

On damp trails, ie no dust but also no mud, I get a few rides between cleaning the chain.

its on the road bike. Hardly ever do adverse conditions either, and when I do its cleaned and lubed before the next ride.

Current chain has done 4500km under my steam and about 200-300km under the previous owners steam, so call it 5000km.