KMC 11 Speed Chains

The Ouzo

Sram 1110 nothing wrong with but they don't last I like them because they are so cheap.

Currently have a KMC on my bike with sunrace cassette and csixx oval and it's smooth and quiet as a church mouse. Still have a 1110 sram and Shimano XT chain in the "bike box".

Current chain on my bike appears to be a KMC chain, its quickly heading to needing replacement according to my chain check tool.

I've read a few threads on the BB saying they are noisier than the equivalent Shimano chain, I've definitely noticed that its noisy but just put it down to the 11 spd drive train that I'm not used to.. I need to clean and lube every 200-300km otherwise it gets annoying.

So do I replace with another KMC, or spend the extra and get a Shimano ? or, other alternative ?

You will be spending extra cash on Shimano chains for no extra gain. The kmc 11s chains are good value for money.

If you can find wipperman connex 11SL then that's a great improvement over what you have.

a fellow hubber has offered me a PC1110, before I buy it from him I jsut want to confirm my quick research.

Apparently the Sram chains dont play nice with Shimano cassettes when you have 11 spd and more.

How true is this ? apparenly you get gears skipping and all sorts of nonsense   

I am running Sram 1170 chains(3rd one) on my 11sdp shimano cassette no problems.i will replace it with a sram again when its time.

I have paid for the PC1110 that our fellow hubber has offered, I'm not in a hurry to collect, but since he stays not far from me we will make a time to hook up and I'll get it from him.

Interestingly the KMC chain was super quiet last night on the commute home.

Current chain on my bike appears to be a KMC chain, its quickly heading to needing replacement according to my chain check tool.

I've read a few threads on the BB saying they are noisier than the equivalent Shimano chain, I've definitely noticed that its noisy but just put it down to the 11 spd drive train that I'm not used to.. I need to clean and lube every 200-300km otherwise it gets annoying.

So do I replace with another KMC, or spend the extra and get a Shimano ? or, other alternative ?

I have to agree with you, running Sram on both road bikes and was recently persuaded to change to KMC, sounded like a sack of spanners, I also ride at 4 am so it's super quiet so was even more noticeable. Eventually went back to Sram chain.

Saying that though, I recently bought a Venge with Sram Red and was astounded at how noisy the Red cassette is, reading loads of reviews that suggest changing to a KMCX10Sl chain, which judging how noisy the last KMC chain was is something I'm rather loathe to do

I have to agree with you, running Sram on both road bikes and was recently persuaded to change to KMC, sounded like a sack of spanners, I also ride at 4 am so it's super quiet so was even more noticeable. Eventually went back to Sram chain.

Saying that though, I recently bought a Venge with Sram Red and was astounded at how noisy the Red cassette is, reading loads of reviews that suggest changing to a KMCX10Sl chain, which judging how noisy the last KMC chain was is something I'm rather loathe to do

Due to the lightweight design of the red cassette (machined from a solid piece of material), the cassette is noticeably louder as it propagates the sound from each gear throughout the cassette. It is however, extremely light!

Due to the lightweight design of the red cassette (machined from a solid piece of material), the cassette is noticeably louder as it propagates the sound from each gear throughout the cassette. It is however, extremely light!

Thanks for the info! I thought I was going nuts, and my LBS insisted it was the type of lube I was using, which is the same I use for all my road bikes, so that theory didn't make sense.

Much Appreciated.

Are you running 10speed SRAM RED?

Ifyes then it wilbe noisy due to its hollowed out design

Are you running 10speed SRAM RED?

Ifyes then it wilbe noisy due to its hollowed out design

Hello,

Yes I am. My other bikes are Sram Rival and Sram 11speed Force which are noticeably less noisy

Hello,

Yes I am. My other bikes are Sram Rival and Sram 11speed Force which are noticeably less noisy

Yeah As pointed out its the cassette. Its machined out of one piece and hollowed out. Then the thin metal sheet used to cover the back end of it that acts like a drum skin makes it very noisy. Using a wax lube does help quiet it down but that's a relative term.

I have paid for the PC1110 that our fellow hubber has offered, I'm not in a hurry to collect, but since he stays not far from me we will make a time to hook up and I'll get it from him.

Interestingly the KMC chain was super quiet last night on the commute home.

it would be, it always works like that for me at least. If something is noisy or wrong as soon as I have someone look at it it's fixed/gone.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to installing the SRAM chain, done around 280km with it and is nice and quiet.

I had an annoying sound coming through on each peddle stroke that I though was the chain, then possibly BB, but luckily narrowed it down to the saddle, applied some Q20 where the rails meet the saddle and everything is now whisper quiet.

Finally got around to installing the SRAM chain, done around 280km with it and is nice and quiet.

I had an annoying sound coming through on each peddle stroke that I though was the chain, then possibly BB, but luckily narrowed it down to the saddle, applied some Q20 where the rails meet the saddle and everything is now whisper quiet.

A bit of coppaslip on the rail cradle and the cradle where it contacts the top of the post works wonders to keeping noises in check. Also re-apply carbon paste to your carbon seat post if your frame is carbon monthly. This avoids the dreaded stuck and creaking seat post