Stage race Essentials

Sitting slip

Hi Guys,

What would you guys consider as Stage race essentials? Bar a decent bike and bib and good team mate who can handle his drink in the evening. 

A bicycle is essential  :ph34r:

Options include:

26", 27.5", 29" or 700c

Rim or disc brake

Rigid, hard tail or full suspension

Single speed, 3x8 all the way through to 1x13

Fixed or dropper seatpost
Bottle cages or Camelbak

All of the above depends on what sort of stage race it is...

- If you can afford it and the event offers it, take an accomodation upgrade. As a general rule, tent villages suck.

- As many have mentioned already, earplugs - good ones - or you will not sleep

- Drink beer or red wine - Not beer and red wine

- Rehydrate

- Pre book your massages, but book them a a reasonable time, so that you know you can finish the days ride, take a shower, get a drink and then head off for a massage

and then mostly, just let the expectations go, and go out and enjoy it. Dont take it too seriously. Have fun. Stop for a chat at the feed stations, your not going to get a podium, so rather get to know the other riders a little. 

Planning, Planning, Planning 

Buy a 110l sani box that you know this will all fit in and how to pack it 

Get a check list from the various race website , work it around and reveiew to optimise your packing into labled ziplocks back.

Some icecream tubs at the bottom to keep scertain things togther

*Anything* you can do to not have to think  on race is a step better and closer to resting which is   

Top tip 

- A dim headlamp to find your way around race village without waking others , keep this in your jacket pocket.

- Lightwieght back pack to take to shower and keep your stuff dry , checkers bags for  the dirty stuff 

Ensure you and your team mate agrees on expectations and fitness. It sucks if one member is chowing his handlebar for days while the other is out to hurt aforementioned rider.

Same counts for post race festivities.

Both of these are only applicable if you want to remain friends after the event.