Claimed from Road Accident Fund?

Kate1

In March I was in an accident hit by Uber driver the driver did a U-turn into my left side and was hit hard and had a fractured elbow that needed surgery. It was a terrible time to be in a hospital just at the beginning of lockdown. I have CCTV footage and witnesses I have been to lawyers to start the process with Road Accident Fund. Has anyone been successful with them?

You will be successful. I had a small claim ito the previous Act in the late 1990's in similar circumstances.

My nephew was hit by a car in 2016. Court date is only this week. Attorney's will take a chunk of claims if they feel case will be successful. In short: you'll wait a long time. Also, RAF are broke ... future is uncertain.

In the 80's the RAF was bankrupt .... even then it took about 4 years to get money out of them ....

40 years later ... same song and dance ....

You may have to wait a very long time to get paid. There is currently a backlog on payments for successful claims.

Sorry to hear about your incident

RAF process is so delayed that eventually you lose interest, as they were hoping all along.

RAF process is so delayed that eventually you lose interest, as they were hoping all along.

Their new business model is as ingenious as they come. Faced with a severe shortage of funds to pay victims and their lawyers, they decided to deal so slowly with the claims that both said claimants and lawyers will die from old age before they have to pay over any money. Keep this process rolling, very slowly indeed, and they have to pay nothing! Amazing plan!

Guy at work has just been paid out slightly over 4 million for an accident his child was involved in and has perminant brain damage.. Took 9 years and a huge effort on his part.

It's worth a try but don't bank on getting anything out.

• 7 months later...

I saw my RAF Lawyer today and he said I should see the doctors in the next 20 days who evaluate the injury. I hope that goes well my arm & elbow feel ok 

has anyone else had any experience with claiming from the RAF? that was hit off a bicycle? how did the RAF experience go for you?

Went down this route after a motorcycle accident (many years ago)

Bit of paperwork ...

Lawyers spends YEARS fighting the system ....

Then one day you get a call, an offer is on the table .... good chunck going to the lawyers.

By all accounts it is still a LONG process ....

NOTE .... the primary purpose is to reimburse medical expenses.  Various medical schemes now have their lawyers fighting this fight on your behalf .... in an attempt to recover some of their expenses.   

on a slightly different but similar note (how broken this place is)...my wife has been fighting the UIF system for more than a year now to receive maternity UIF money that is due to her. And it's a sizeable amount...They just keep on moving the goalpost every time. and its not even that complicated...she has worked for the same employer for 12years and paid uif every single month....just to not get it when we needed it most (during maternity leave in lockdown last year) I wish there were lawyers willing to have a go at UIF as readily as RAF