[Event] Winelands Cycle Race

Paarl Rotary

Event Name: Winelands Cycle Race
When: 31 January 2021
Where: Hugenote Primary School, Wellington, Western Cape
Category: Road

The Winelands Cycle Race, presented on 31 January, replaces the Paarl Cycle Tour and this year starts at Hugenote Primary School in Welllington. There are three road races. The longer races (105km and 90km) are both seeding races for the Cape Town Cycle Tour. The race routes travel between Wellington, Hermon and Riebeek West and back to Wellington. Entries are limited to 1500 due to Covid regulations. Masks to be worn before and after the race. There will be refreshments and a bike park at the school.

Go to Event Page

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: - awesome news, I was so looking forward to an event on the 'regular' routes again. Thank you so much guys! Where do we enter?

• 2 months later...

Is it just a road race, or is it fine on a mtb?

Most if not all road events can be done on a MTB ... hey, even a BMX or unicycle if you wish.

That said, I don't foresee many events taking place any time soon.

Yes also keen for this one! - mainly to get out and do an actual event. Not really concerned with achieving an amazing time. We all need some form of sanity back. Its for sure possible to have an event  without being "mass murderers". A few adult decisions and protocols required.

I think they should cancel, but they have not. The regulations do not prevent the holding of the event, unless the minister of sport has issued a directive that I do not know of.

that's not cancelled...yet.

in my mind this is a gathering no matter how you slice or dice it.

there might be uhmming and ahhing, but it surely ain't going ahead eventually.

WC is still labelled a hotspot, sitting on 43 000 active cases(and about 2500 new per day), but the vast majority are still n the cape metro.

https://coronavirus.westerncape.gov.za/covid-19-dashboard

With ~5 million people there, is a 0.1% of the population confirmed to currently have it worth not doing an event? 

I won't be doing it.

the post doesn't say it's cancelled, but I think it will be, so will killarney crits...

I just entered that boland 100 miler, hopefully by then the situation is better....

I think the only racing we'll have for a couple months will be on zwift unfortunately.... well at least we can still train outdoor....

Let's see if the Imbuko big 5 still happens !

EDIT : It's postponed until further notice...

Edited by Jbr

• 6 months later...

Thread revival.
Barring some quick post-third-wave organisations by WP, this is likely the next event on the road calendar. Who else is keen?

42 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Thread revival.
Barring some quick post-third-wave organisations by WP, this is likely the next event on the road calendar. Who else is keen?

I've entered so I can hopefully get half decent seeding for the cycle tour. My current road seeding is based on the 2016 Durbie Dash.