Carbon MTB Wheels options

s14phoenix

In market for exactly the same as described...

Lyne will see my bonus coming their way, unless a killer second deal pops up or a worth while BlackFriday deal. 

Definately looks this way for me too. Now to wait for possible black Friday deals or not...  :wacko:

I've got Nextie premium ultralight rims (28mm ID - only 358g and 359g each, as weighed on their individual cards when I got them) on the XC bike with 32 hole Hope hubs with XD driver (490g for the pair) and laced them with Alpina bladed double butted spokes from Rapide with DT Swiss brass nipples.  They came in at a smidge over 1500g when built up with the tape and aluminium valve.  

I've been using these for the last two years and they've not let me down once.  Even had a spoke break on day 1 at Eselfontein last year and the rim stayed true for the rest of the weekend.  

I can't recommend this option highly enough.  I'm busy building up another bike with i9 hubs now and will go with the Nexties again.  

So I am looking for some carbon mtb wheels with the following spec:

29er Boost - obviously

27mm to 31mm ID - because size matters

Under 1600g - yes the weight matters

MicroSpline freehub - not negotiable

To go onto a 120mm/100mm travel bike with trail (or down country for the hipsters) and general XC hooliganism in mind and all the local races.

Options:

Lyne Pulse:

R14999

28 spoke

29mm ID

Lyne hubs JB01 with either the smaller or bigger bearings

1490g (claimed with small bearings) or add 90g for big bearing version - 1580g.

Not sure how accurate the weight is on these and if it is with rim tape

DarkHorse:

R14300

32 spoke

29mm ID

Bitex hubs same bigger bearings as big bearing Lyne hubs

1568g claimed but is apparently an accurate measurement with rim tape - not sure how accurate the weight is on since recently I saw a lot of manufacturers lie about the weights and specs.

Any others???

Looking for recommendations and comments if anyone has these particular wheels also. Seems like a no brainer win for the DarkHorse being 32 spoke and slightly lighter at the same spec an local pros running them on XC races.

ZeroTwo wheels from Omnico.

https://omnico.co.za/brand/zerotwo

Edited by DieselnDust

I've got Nextie premium ultralight rims (28mm ID - only 358g and 359g each, as weighed on their individual cards when I got them) on the XC bike with 32 hole Hope hubs with XD driver (490g for the pair) and laced them with Alpina bladed double butted spokes from Rapide with DT Swiss brass nipples.  They came in at a smidge over 1500g when built up with the tape and aluminium valve.  

I've been using these for the last two years and they've not let me down once.  Even had a spoke break on day 1 at Eselfontein last year and the rim stayed true for the rest of the weekend.  

I can't recommend this option highly enough.  I'm busy building up another bike with i9 hubs now and will go with the Nexties again.  

When I looked a while back the lightest Nextie 29er option was 410g... Those ultra light rims with Hopes at 1500g would also be my bet then.

One day when I'm big.....

When I looked a while back the lightest Nextie 29er option was 410g... Those ultra light rims with Hopes at 1500g would also be my bet then.

Better start drinking your Milo.... you have  along way to go, still. 

According to my sums this would work...

410g x 2 = 810g

Bitex BX211R = 270g

Bitex BX211F = 155g

Spokes - 56 Alpine @ 5g each = 280g 

Nipples - 18g for ally 56g for brass

Tape is another 20g a wheel so 40g roughly

Grand total of:

1573g for ally and 1611g with Brass

General weight of rims seem to be around 390g - 395g (27-29mm ID) so both options could work and would mean anything from 1533g to 1571g on that rims weight.

Waiting to hear back from some wheelbuilders that can do these.  :thumbup:

Edited by s14phoenix

In my opinion, I wouldn't go with alu nipples.  40g odd split over two wheels is never going to be noticeable.  And brass doesn't corrode and fall apart like the alu nipples do.

TBH, I don't know if this is an issue up in GP, but on the coast it is.  

I like my nipples to turn when I turn them, not crumble or crack.   

In my opinion, I wouldn't go with alu nipples.  40g odd split over two wheels is never going to be noticeable.  And brass doesn't corrode and fall apart like the alu nipples do.

TBH, I don't know if this is an issue up in GP, but on the coast it is.  

I like my nipples to turn when I turn them, not crumble or crack.   

Agree, had alloy nipples on my wheels, after one winter they just started popping of randomly. Switched to brass 2 years ago havent had an issue since.

Wheels are only as good as the builder as well. Just my 2 cents

considered - heavy and over R20k a set. 1650g for XC as per the tech guy at Omnico - 1750g for trail.

thats surprising.  weighed a set at 1490 without valves, rim tape and tyres

Light Bicycle wheel have always been on my want list.

Can play for hours to build the best weight to $ ratio wheelset.

With $ to ZAR this is no longer a viable option, or at least not at the price of the Lyne Pulse wheelset.

DarkHorse - been on them for more than a year, lots of trails and hard long rides and still going strong and true. Awesome wheels