Attempted bike-jacking this morning, SMITSWINKEL...

Zebra

Thinking that weekend rides going to have a follow vehicle in the near future.

I’m glad you ok and hope the PTSD settles but reading this makes me really sad that Cape Town is becoming like this and these measures are having to be put in place.

I’m coming back to see family and for some work in 2 weeks and wanted to bring my bike, maybe alittle dramatic but thinking don’t chance it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually do the southern peninsula, along the coast line on weekends. We leave pretty early  .... wondering if it's worth it to try and open a thread where cyclist can specify an average speed, time of departure, and route ... and try to organize informal 4 or 5 rider groups? Anything is better than riding alone ....

I don't particularly like riding in very large groups, but I'd rather join a set group/club alternatively than risk getting mugged.

I just find that some groups start so late in the day, and eat into family time - we usually halfway back by the time they leave Simons Town?

We usually do the southern peninsula, along the coast line on weekends. We leave pretty early  .... wondering if it's worth it to try and open a thread where cyclist can specify an average speed, time of departure, and route ... and try to organize informal 4 or 5 rider groups? Anything is better than riding alone ....

I don't particularly like riding in very large groups, but I'd rather join a set group/club alternatively than risk getting mugged.

I just find that some groups start so late in the day, and eat into family time - we usually halfway back by the time they leave Simons Town?

I live in st James and leave at 5.30 am on the week ends weather permitting. I would be keen to join a group heading towards Scarborough area. 

Think we need to sponsor some Etzebeths with bikes ...

A mate can tell you what happened when he politely hooted at Skattie and Cliffie as they were strolling down the middle of the road in Newlands after a big game.........

I’m glad you ok and hope the PTSD settles but reading this makes me really sad that Cape Town is becoming like this and these measures are having to be put in place.

I’m coming back to see family and for some work in 2 weeks and wanted to bring my bike, maybe alittle dramatic but thinking don’t chance it.

I am an eternal optimist and will ride on the road again but going to start cutting down what roads I ride on.

I fully intend to keep riding here, I don't see this is a disturbing trend and a NO-GO area....yet.

i hope not...don't really want to see a coffee panel van always crawling behind mamils, surely a big group is already enough.

Yeah, big groups make no difference, they just run you over with a car. Only thing that made them move on was other cars arriving.

I am sure the crawling panel van is about the same speed of the skelms crawling along looking for victims.

Yeah, big groups make no difference, they just run you over with a car. Only thing that made them move on was other cars arriving.

I am sure the crawling panel van is about the same speed of the skelms crawling along looking for victims.

Yes that's the scary thing about your story, we're not even safe in numbers anymore

The plan for our club based in the Southern Suburbs is to have a support car for our weekend rides when we go out via Ocean View/Slangkop going forward. Its only a 1 hour section (for now) and the safety feel is worth it. We currently start at 6am moving to 5.30 soon.

We already have that for longer DC rides and it definitely increases the safety aspects - even with other cars. It's also nice to be able to have drinks, food, medical kit, some spares and stash your extra layers etc. It means a bit more planning and some costs - but in exchange we get to enjoy one of the most stunning routes in the world. Cape Point is another really awesome place to ride and 'safe' for now.

Seems like the best option and I'm definitely planning to do a lot of outdoor riding this summer. With lockdown and everything else that happened, I'm not gonna give up this 'pleasure' so easily ...

I am an eternal optimist and will ride on the road again but going to start cutting down what roads I ride on.

ja me too.

there are loads and loads of people riding south peninsula.

sure ocean view has got that element of dodge as it has for a while, but I don't see this area as a hotspot yet and rather some recent ou of the ordinary incidents.

would be really nice if we had some accurate reporting to be able to say that I am an ostrich in the sand.

sort of related, i spend a lot of time on the mountain here, and people will ask on the copmmunity groups - is it safe to go on the mountain and a bunch of Karens will say "No you will get stabbed".

their data is a fatal attack 2 years ago where the psycho is behind bars, and NO apparent incidents since.

The plan for our club based in the Southern Suburbs is to have a support car for our weekend rides when we go out via Ocean View/Slangkop going forward. Its only a 1 hour section (for now) and the safety feel is worth it. We currently start at 6am moving to 5.30 soon.

We already have that for longer DC rides and it definitely increases the safety aspects - even with other cars. It's also nice to be able to have drinks, food, medical kit, some spares and stash your extra layers etc. It means a bit more planning and some costs - but in exchange we get to enjoy one of the most stunning routes in the world. Cape Point is another really awesome place to ride and 'safe' for now.

Seems like the best option and I'm definitely planning to do a lot of outdoor riding this summer. With lockdown and everything else that happened, I'm not gonna give up this 'pleasure' so easily ...

Looks like we will do the same as above.

ja me too.

there are loads and loads of people riding south peninsula.

sure ocean view has got that element of dodge as it has for a while, but I don't see this area as a hotspot yet and rather some recent ou of the ordinary incidents.

would be really nice if we had some accurate reporting to be able to say that I am an ostrich in the sand.

sort of related, i spend a lot of time on the mountain here, and people will ask on the copmmunity groups - is it safe to go on the mountain and a bunch of Karens will say "No you will get stabbed".

their data is a fatal attack 2 years ago where the psycho is behind bars, and NO apparent incidents since.

I am just worried about how few incidents are actually reported. It’s just such a “mission” to follow through. I have gone through 2 full incidents and it takes time but I hope will reduce crime and add to the reports.

im just wondering whether throwing support vehicles at club rides is the right answer.

If an incident was to happen - whether a jump from the bushes, or a hit, steal and run incident with car was to happen. Will the driver or whom ever in the support vehicle be adequately trained to know how to deal with that situation ?

The large group of hikers that got mugged and badly hurt by a much smaller band of thugs comes to mind. Even with large numbers, is anyone trained to defuse a situation with a gun or large knife?

I dont know what the answer is but if it helps as a deterrent then or at least assist the victims in someway then I can support it.

Maybe cycling clubs can come together and arrange safety workshops? get club members trained in first aid and some degree of self defense?

Traffic during cycle tour training season will be interesting....

im just wondering whether throwing support vehicles at club rides is the right answer.

If an incident was to happen - whether a jump from the bushes, or a hit, steal and run incident with car was to happen. Will the driver or whom ever in the support vehicle be adequately trained to know how to deal with that situation ?

The large group of hikers that got mugged and badly hurt by a much smaller band of thugs comes to mind. Even with large numbers, is anyone trained to defuse a situation with a gun or large knife?

I dont know what the answer is but if it helps as a deterrent then or at least assist the victims in someway then I can support it.

Maybe cycling clubs can come together and arrange safety workshops? get club members trained in first aid and some degree of self defense?

There are not really many other options left, our groups are normally rather large. A support car forces cars to pass when it’s safe to pass when it possible to pass a car. It would also prevent cars from ramming into cyclists from behind.

We debated it for a while, but it definitely helps in quite a few way - firstly its deterrent (physically), secondly medical kit, thirdly not having to stop in a dangerous area to fix something and then being able to get an injured rider(s) to hospital ASAP. We don't really want to have an armed security guard in the support car ... but hey, better than carrying a weapon on the bike  :ph34r:. In terms of costs it's less than a coffee for our groups. 

Am I the only one thinking if a perp notices that escourt vehicles come with a group of cyclist that at some point in time they (the perps) think ... great they brought a van for us to load more bikes in.

Pretty crap situation. Wishing you guys all the best to deal with this.