How to protect your drivetrain from the elements

How do guys protect/cover your drivetrain, or any part of the bike for that matter, when travelling on dirt roads with the bike on a carrier?

By putting the bike on the back seat.

And then putting the SO on the bike carrier? Sure they won't mind that :whistling:  :ph34r: .

To OP's question though, have never actually been able to find a decent solution, but socks around the frame do stop frame scratches and also use something to stop the wheels spinning while in transit.

To be honest, nothing. 

I make sure the drivetrains are cleaned beforehand and no lube is applied until I get to my destination. A damn cloth is used to remove dust from the bike before applying lube and going for a ride. 

Heading home after the holiday I leave the bikes as is from the week/end and wash them when I get home. 

I have been searching for an answer for years.Theres nothing I hate more than putting a clean, quiet bike on the bikerack and taking a dusty, squeaky bike off.

If I know the roads are dusty or wet I ofeten try to load the bike into the car - Take off both wheels and try to pack it as securely as possible (old towels and sponges between spaces that might rub) Usually takes a few tries to figure out exactly how the bike fits but once you get it you just follow the same formula each time.

I can only do this when driving alone though.

I have been searching for an answer for years.Theres nothing I hate more than putting a clean, quiet bike on the bikerack and taking a dusty, squeaky bike off.

If I know the roads are dusty or wet I ofeten try to load the bike into the car - Take off both wheels and try to pack it as securely as possible (old towels and sponges between spaces that might rub) Usually takes a few tries to figure out exactly how the bike fits but once you get it you just follow the same formula each time.

I can only do this when driving alone though.

I told you guys, the only way is the bike goes inside. I got  a 7 seater mpv just so we can all be comfortable inside along with the bike when needed.

I just take a garden weed sprayer along, and spray the bikes down after the trip. Works great, is light and compact, and does a great job at rinsing the bike off.

How do guys protect/cover your drivetrain, or any part of the bike for that matter, when travelling on dirt roads with the bike on a carrier?

I have done 5 000km trip, LOTS of dirt roads.  With the bike on the roof rack.  The bike did not get a speck of dust on it.

Two days later we drove to Worcester, with the final 3km on a gravel road .... DAMN !!!  That fine dust all over the bike, and into every bit of the chain and sprockets ....

I love the platform rack IN TOWN, nice and easy to use.

But for gravel roads the roof mount is just SO MUCH better !!

Given the security issues and ever increasing theft of bikes from racks (both platform and roof mount), I opted to get a car where I can put the bike IN the car, and still have three seats.  I can now even take my bike with on work trips, and have afternoon rides in areas I wont normally get to ride.