160km in under 3 hours

The Ghost

What is the definition of unassisted?

Not taking anything away from his achievement, his power numbers are solid, but if I found a 160km decent with a tailwind and went faster, would that still be considered an unassisted record? Surely to be considered fair, and to have some sort of standardisation, this kind of thing should take place in a velodrome?

Not taking anything away from his achievement, his power numbers are solid, but if I found a 160km decent with a tailwind and went faster, would that still be considered an unassisted record? Surely to be considered fair, and to have some sort of standardisation, this kind of thing should take place in a velodrome?

I'm also very surprised... feels like if I pick a super windy day in august and head north you can probably get to that average without pushing all those watts. Shouldn't those records belong to  the track, or at least finish where they started to limit the effects of the wind / gradient ?

Isn't the everesting rule to finish the time at the same point you started it ?  (like you don't stop it at the top of the climb but at the bottom ?)

I checked, unfortunately from Cape Town to Paternoster its only 144km..  :D

Edited by Jbr

Are you gonna fall from space ? your biggest challenge would be finding a 160km descend...

Are you gonna fall from space ? your biggest challenge would be finding a 160km descend...

post-5932-0-13612300-1604947290_thumb.png

you could do a few laps at the bottom to make up 5km..

Edited by 100Tours

Insane effort to AVERAGE 53km/h for 3 hours.

You need allot of planning and anticipation of major winds to get close to something like this.

Fact remains, he is the first guy to put in the work and pull this sub-3 off. No doubt it will be broken in future, but he will be the first to go sub-3.

My bet is on someone in the Netherlands trying this when those hectic winds of theirs pull in. If the winds blows faster than 54km/h... there might be an argument to go less-aero... to make yourself a sail to have the wind really push you along. You biggest job will then be to keep yourself upright against those gusts.

Watched the GCN video on their coverage of that day.

295W NP for 3 hours is nothing to laugh at (don't know what we weighs though). Who cares if we had a solid tail wind? If the rules say nothing about a tail wind being a problem, we shouldn't either. And I'm pretty certain many people have their Strava KOMs because of a solid tail wind  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

His palmares are nothing to snigger at either, for a complete amateur.