Road Bikes Disc Brakes vs Rim Brakes!

PlemPlem

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disc brakes are more predictable and not something you even think about after a few rides, even on steep faster roads or turns .

But the biggest plus for me is tubeless 28 tyres, changes the ride quality 10 fold.

Wider internal diameter wheels with tubeless tyres is the dogs bollocks, won’t go back to tubes again .

Edited by Pikey

I may have missed it, but have you chosen/bought a new frame yet?

Yes I did, I took the plunge and ordered/ received a new Pinarello F12 frameset. I built it with the current Di2 Dura Ace 9150 groupset but changed the 'Direct Mount' Dura brakes to SRAM S-900. Pic below!

My feeling is that I can brake just as well as any disc brake in the dry. The new DM brakes with Swisstop pads are far superior to any older centre bolt mount rim brakes.

And I do nor ride in any rain by choice!!

I gotta say that (having ridden both brake types on demos) that discs feel better, might be the future etc. and  might brake better in the wet but I was just not prepared to deal with all the necessary (perceived) disadvantages already listed in my opening comment. The opinions will vary and good luck to all but as this current time, road bikes with disc brakes in South Africa(!) just do not make sense to me.

P.S. I do not ride in the rain if I can help it!!

post-45456-0-04682000-1605697051_thumb.jpg

Yes I did, I took the plunge and ordered/ received a new Pinarello F12 frameset. I built it with the current Di2 Dura Ace 9150 groupset but changed the 'Direct Mount' Dura brakes to SRAM S-900. Pic below!

My feeling is that I can brake just as well as any disc brake in the dry. The new DM brakes with Swisstop pads are far superior to any older centre bolt mount rim brakes.

I gotta say that (having ridden both brake types on demos) that discs feel better, might be the future etc. and  might brake better in the wet but I was just not prepared to deal with all the necessary (perceived) disadvantages already listed in my opening comment. The opinions will vary and good luck to all but as this current time, road bikes with disc brakes in South Africa(!) just do not make sense to me.

attachicon.gifIMG_7768.jpg

Alu rim braking is plenty good for most SA road use.

Nice bike, enjoy!

braking performance is not the issue, we all know that rim-brake bikes can brake too...

it's a matter of compatibility and "futureproofing" your bike.  in 5 years from now you won't be able to buy a rim brake bike or wheelset if you tried, pretty much the same as trying to buy or sell a 26" frame now...

Edited by rudi-h

Alu rim braking is plenty good for most SA road use.

Nice bike, enjoy!

These are my Fulcrum Racing 5 training wheels that I already had. I race with 303 Firecrests. Again, with Swisstop carbon rim brake pads, I have not noticed any significant reduction in braking performance.

attachicon.gifIMG_7768.jpg

As they say in the classics "very, very nice, Peter."

braking performance is not the issue, we all know that rim-brake bikes can brake too...

it's a matter of compatibility and "futureproofing" your bike.  in 5 years from now you won't be able to buy a rim brake bike or wheelset if you tried, pretty much the same as trying to buy or sell a 26" frame now...

Well, then in five years I will buy the latest/ greatest/coffee making etc. groupset with my new shiny Pinarello F28!!

Until then I will ride my rim brakes; but I will not be currently forced to buy some equipment that doesn't quite cut it just because the industry wants us to.

If the ongoing technical development (or lack of it) in five years time still forces us to deal with weight/ technological bull****/ squealing whatever, guess what - I will make the same decision!

This is comical...

Enjoy your new bike. But some of the views and opinions and 1 dimensional metric grudges are ludicrous.

I think one of the main detractors of disc brakes on this thread is in his 60s, the other in his 50s.

While I value their opinion on certain things, accepting new technology is not always the strong point of the previous generation.

So, you bought a rim brake bike and nobody forced you to buy anything you didn't want to?

If that Pinarello is the bike that makes your panties the wettest, then it is the right bike for you. Personally I like my disc brake bike more than I like any rim brake bike because I quite like the way it looks and rides. 

The seat stays with no brake bridge, the uncluttered fork top/cable routing..... It looks rad. It can also be made with less material there so can create a bit more flex and compliance in different places that you can't replicate with a rim brake bike.

But anyway, I digress. Enjoy your new bike. Just try rather not be so moany and factually certain that 1 type is bettererer than the other based on opinion.

Especially at the chronically low level that everyone on this thread performs at

This is comical...

Enjoy your new bike. But some of the views and opinions and 1 dimensional metric grudges are ludicrous.

I think one of the main detractors of disc brakes on this thread is in his 60s, the other in his 50s.

While I value their opinion on certain things, accepting new technology is not always the strong point of the previous generation.

So, you bought a rim brake bike and nobody forced you to buy anything you didn't want to?

If that Pinarello is the bike that makes your panties the wettest, then it is the right bike for you. Personally I like my disc brake bike more than I like any rim brake bike because I quite like the way it looks and rides. 

The seat stays with no brake bridge, the uncluttered fork top/cable routing..... It looks rad. It can also be made with less material there so can create a bit more flex and compliance in different places that you can't replicate with a rim brake bike.

But anyway, I digress. Enjoy your new bike. Just try rather not be so moany and factually certain that 1 type is bettererer than the other based on opinion.

Especially at the chronically low level that everyone on this thread performs at

You misunderstand me; I have no problem with anyone else riding whichever type of brake type they want and I fully get that the cosmetic and feel good factors the way disc brakes look on a bike gets certain people going and might therefore change all and switch! But not me.

This is was not meant as a griping or moaning session, rather I tried to start a discussion about the pro's and con's of both as this topic seems to grip the cycling world in general. My mates overseas also discuss this at length and some of them regularly ride in the high mountains on both brake types.

I just wanted to hear what others are leaning towards and why I made my decision the way I did; i.e. why rim brakes are better for me (not others).

My last point towards futureproofing was to emphasize why that reason does not make sense as any equipment bought today cannot be exchanged tomorrow. So whatever you buy this year is something that you will have to deal with for the foreseeable future, warts and all, and I just did not want to do this yet. When the time comes and I might be in the market for a new ride, I will assess the comparison again then.

Like I said; this topic is bound to split the cycling world!

You misunderstand me; I have no problem with anyone else riding whichever type of brake type they want and I fully get that the cosmetic and feel good factors the way disc brakes look on a bike gets certain people going and might therefore change all and switch! But not me.

This is was not meant as a griping or moaning session, rather I tried to start a discussion about the pro's and con's of both as this topic seems to grip the cycling world in general. My mates overseas also discuss this at length and some of them regularly ride in the high mountains on both brake types.

I just wanted to hear what others are leaning towards and why I made my decision the way I did; i.e. why rim brakes are better for me (not others).

My last point towards futureproofing was to emphasize why that reason does not make sense as any equipment bought today cannot be exchanged tomorrow. So whatever you buy this year is something that you will have to deal with for the foreseeable future, warts and all, and I just did not want to do this yet. When the time comes and I might be in the market for a new ride, I will assess the comparison again then.

Yeah but those heathens riding discs are wrong.

This is comical...

Shew. I thought you meant me, but I'm low 40's and perform at a low level, but not chronically.

Too late. Consider yourself heavy uitgek@k

Too late. Consider yourself heavy uitgek@k

Not really, but I will start a new thread soon. That will get the collective juices really going!