Discovery Vitality Bike Booster

JBK

Has anyone used Discovery Vitality Bike Booster to buy a bike ?

On the surface it seems like absolute rubbish and the explanations shown are unclear and potentially misleading depending on what you read. 

In one body of text, they imply that the maximum reward is 25% of R20k, or R5k paid over 36 months - Woohooo ! And you have to pay once off fee of R950 so in effect you are getting a return of R112.5 per month, assuming you meet all your goals. Talk about "smoke and mirrors". To quote "we take up to 25% of the purchase price of your mountain or road bike, to a maximum spend of R20 000 and divide this by the 36 months"

But other text implies that it is perhaps a maximum reward of R20k over 36 months, or R556 per month - which is a good deal. To quote "The total rewards that can be earned over the 36 month benefit duration is capped at R20 000 of the purchase price of your bike."

Is it just me or is this very unclear ? 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The boosters (Shoe, Device and probably Bike as well) typically work out to a +- R100 per month benefit. So the R5k saving over 3 years sounds right and is how I understand it to work as well.

Has anyone used Discovery Vitality Bike Booster to buy a bike ?

On the surface it seems like absolute rubbish and the explanations shown are unclear and potentially misleading depending on what you read. 

In one body of text, they imply that the maximum reward is 25% of R20k, or R5k paid over 36 months - Woohooo ! And you have to pay once off fee of R950 so in effect you are getting a return of R112.5 per month, assuming you meet all your goals. Talk about "smoke and mirrors". To quote "we take up to 25% of the purchase price of your mountain or road bike, to a maximum spend of R20 000 and divide this by the 36 months"

But other text implies that it is perhaps a maximum reward of R20k over 36 months, or R556 per month - which is a good deal. To quote "The total rewards that can be earned over the 36 month benefit duration is capped at R20 000 of the purchase price of your bike."

Is it just me or is this very unclear ? 

It is definitely R5k spread over 36 months. The R20k limit is on the purchase price of the bike for the benefit, meaning you could go and buy a R60k bike via the Bike Booster, but you would still be limited to earning R5k back maximum over 36 months (25% on R20k max). I am 110% certain that what I say is true.

I assumed that it is R5k capped over 36 months but I find it unreasonable as to the poor clarity in this regard from Discovery and the clearly misleading content. 

So, Cycle Lab have just confirmed that it is capped at 25% of R20k - so R5k.

AND you have to stay a member of Team Vitality for the duration of the three years in order to continue receiving your cash back - so R950 x 3 = R2,850.

So, your cash back is hence R5k - R2,850 = R 2,150 

Or R60 per month.

This is seriously a laughing matter and a disgrace from Discovery.

I assumed that it is R5k capped over 36 months but I find it unreasonable as to the poor clarity in this regard from Discovery and the clearly misleading content. 

So, Cycle Lab have just confirmed that it is capped at 25% of R20k - so R5k.

AND you have to stay a member of Team Vitality for the duration of the three years in order to continue receiving your cash back - so R950 x 3 = R2,850.

So, your cash back is hence R5k - R2,850 = R 2,150 

Or R60 per month.

This is seriously a laughing matter and a disgrace from Discovery.

Not quite correct taking the cost of Team Vitality from the cash back maximum. Team Vitality provides benefits of its own, biggest of being cash back on entry fees (so it would actually add to the total cash back).

Besides which, I honestly don't understand how something like this can be a 'disgrace' when they are offering money back on a bike where you wouldn't have gotten anything back? It's free money man. If you don't like it, don't take it, simple.

I used the "Shoe Booster" and "Device Booster" before.  If you are on Vitality already and you exercise regularly anyway its worth it getting a couple of bucks back over a number of months.

But it certainly not a super good deal at all.  The apple watch thing is great since you dont pay a cent if you keep hitting you targets, but the rest is mediocre at best.

I do like the Gym booster though, both my and the wifes already reduced membership are paid back every month if you get the exercise goals.

Not quite correct taking the cost of Team Vitality from the cash back maximum. Team Vitality provides benefits of its own, biggest of being cash back on entry fees (so it would actually add to the total cash back).

Besides which, I honestly don't understand how something like this can be a 'disgrace' when they are offering money back on a bike where you wouldn't have gotten anything back? It's free money man. If you don't like it, don't take it, simple.

I beg to differ... For me there is absolutely ZERO benefit to Vitality Team Cycling and hence the only reason for joining would be for the cash back incentive... Hence deducting it from total cash back...

When I first spoke to the sales lady at Cyclelab she told me its 25% of the total bike value and had recently sold an R85k bike to someone who had this understanding... Shame, he's going to have a rude awakening.

My issue is that first of all, "why bother", no one joins team vitality and to get back R60 pm on an R85k bike is simply ridiculous. For sure I see benefit to the device booster where you can buy a watch for R10k and get R4k back (40%) but to get back 2.5% over 36 months it's more farcical than anything else. And, provided that you achieve all of your goals.

And secondly, the clearly misleading content on Discoveries website that could easily lead someone to believing that they're actually going to get R20k back on an R80k bike.!

I beg to differ... For me there is absolutely ZERO benefit to Vitality Team Cycling and hence the only reason for joining would be for the cash back incentive... Hence deducting it from total cash back...

When I first spoke to the sales lady at Cyclelab she told me its 25% of the total bike value and had recently sold an R85k bike to someone who had this understanding... Shame, he's going to have a rude awakening.

My issue is that first of all, "why bother", no one joins team vitality and to get back R60 pm on an R85k bike is simply ridiculous. For sure I see benefit to the device booster where you can buy a watch for R10k and get R4k back (40%) but to get back 2.5% over 36 months it's more farcical than anything else. And, provided that you achieve all of your goals.

And secondly, the clearly misleading content on Discoveries website that could easily lead someone to believing that they're actually going to get R20k back on an R80k bike.!

What do you want to get from this thread? I assume you aren't planning on using the benefit so just wondering.

As someone else has said, if you are buying a bike and you can get somewhere between R2k and R5k back (depending on your opinion on that) then surely you are winning? I haven't used the benefit and have no intention to but if I was buying a bike from CL (as many people do) then I'd definitely consider it.

If you were buying a bike for R20k then it is a very meaningful reward. If you're buying a bike for R80k then you really should stop stressing about a little bit of cash back.

What do you want to get from this thread? I assume you aren't planning on using the benefit so just wondering.

As someone else has said, if you are buying a bike and you can get somewhere between R2k and R5k back (depending on your opinion on that) then surely you are winning? I haven't used the benefit and have no intention to but if I was buying a bike from CL (as many people do) then I'd definitely consider it.

If you were buying a bike for R20k then it is a very meaningful reward. If you're buying a bike for R80k then you really should stop stressing about a little bit of cash back.

What I want to get from this thread is to make it clear to anyone considering this that they will NOT get 25% cash back on R85k - they will only get 25% cash back on R20k and there are additional costs involved.

Like I said earlier, there's a chap out there who is going to get a horrible surprise at the end of this month when he gets R100 instead of R600 back from Vitality.

That's it.!

Do the maths its just another one of the clever misleading tricks we all chase only to lose in the end. 

JBK is right. Once you use this benefit "you can't get it on specials"  - best to rather negotiate a better deal or buy a "on special'  you save much more without the pain and suffering.

Vitality is about getting people active. so it is aimed at the new person wanting to get healthy or into fitness.  So is aimed at those who will likely purchase a bike for the first time (or proper running shoes).  They will be looking in the range R8-15k, in which case for those starting out in cycling a 25% saving will be worth it.

Vitality is not aimed at the serious cyclist or weekend warrior who is looking to upgrade and score a deal. Hence why there is a limit and is clear in the T&C's, same as for the device booster.

havent looked into it but Myles is pretty clued up on Vitality and how to game the gamers

Sadly, this is as the OP suggests. Meh.

If you already have a chosen bike and it's available at the retail outlet, at a good price, then it's a decent benefit cos you get 5k back for an outlay of 890 or whatever it is.

Otherwise just get it at the cheapest price you can. If it's 5k cheaper elsewhere, then the benefit makes no sense.