Beware Marg & Barend Kian

DR ◣◢

Thank you DR for posting this... I very nearly got caught selling my Canon 700D - I had even gone as far as shipping the camera and accessories then suddenly decided to google the number given to put on the waybill.

Your post popped up which confirmed my suspicions and I was able to stop the courier delivery just in time.

I posted the following on Facebook to try create awareness to these scammers.

I advertised my Canon 700D on Market Place and have had dozens of enquiries and people wasting my time. I then had someone message me saying "Please message my brother Christiaan on 078 148 4266 - he is very interested" I saved the number in my phone and it appears to be a business phone with a camera equipment image as the profile picture, so it seems pretty legit as a camera re-seller. When I message him he is quite cautious trying to feel me out as a possible scammer. He gains my trust and then says "After careful considerations. I had suggest we make use of PayPal for both our sake, it's secure and protects every transactions done through them. Do you have an account with PayPal? So I can make payment" I do have a Paypal account so I request the payment and get an email pretty soon after that looks like a legit Paypal Receipt.

He then sends the following message: "Hi, I just want to inform you that i have completed the payment, You should have been notified in your email by now, Please check for payment notification, Read it carefully and follow the instructions." The very legit looking Paypal email requests that I send the Courier Waybill details which I do, I am then informed that payment will be released as soon as the courier collects the package.
A few hours later I decided to google the contact number I was given to put on the waybill for delivery and found it tied to a scam in November with the exact same copy and paste messages.
So... the name probably changes with each scam but in case they try this stunt again on the same number - here it is...
My Paypal details are Email: architect.christiaankian@gmail.com
Full Names: Christiaan Kian
Delivery Address if anyone wants to go pay them a visit...
Receiver name: Christiaan
Address: 29 Maxwell St, Kempton Park, 1619.
Number: 0788150559
I have stopped the courier so all this has cost me is time and a courier bill... glad I trusted that gut feeling to check...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...