Stolen: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon 2017 (Cape Town)

MTB-Stu

Check your whatsApp bru

Hey man I think this bike is on Fb Ebrahiem Adams is selling it, please follow up if its your bike!!!

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for all the messages to make us aware of the bike.

We quickly put in a cash offer for the bike saying is it negotiable, then we rushed to Seapoint police station. They helped us but said we must go to Athlone police station. From there we jumped into a golf and escourted (undercover) by two trailing police cars. 8 policemen. We then met the guy on Springbok street Athlone (very tough conditions these people are living in). 2 men showed us that the bike is in good condition and giving us some insight. Then the two police cars came in at pace and jumped out. They seem to know this time would come (probably not their first). They had piles of cash and jewellery on them. They were taken into Athlone holding cells. We have the bike now but the rear suspension is stuffed and struggling to get the rear axle through the bike. 

They told us at the police station that the courts usually struggle to enforce the crime and they will probably be back on the street in a few days. I feel sorry for all of us for having weak courts but also the state of the country. They also said the crime is running rampant since Covid started.

Otherwise we got a bike back in 80% condition so the insurers are probably pretty happy. Maybe I should sell it now at more than R8,000 ;-)

Thanks all.

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for all the messages to make us aware of the bike.

We quickly put in a cash offer for the bike saying is it negotiable, then we rushed to Seapoint police station. They helped us but said we must go to Athlone police station. From there we jumped into a golf and escourted (undercover) by two trailing police cars. 8 policemen. We then met the guy on Springbok street Athlone (very tough conditions these people are living in). 2 men showed us that the bike is in good condition and giving us some insight. Then the two police cars came in at pace and jumped out. They seem to know this time would come (probably not their first). They had piles of cash and jewellery on them. They were taken into Athlone holding cells. We have the bike now but the rear suspension is stuffed and struggling to get the rear axle through the bike. 

They told us at the police station that the courts usually struggle to enforce the crime and they will probably be back on the street in a few days. I feel sorry for all of us for having weak courts but also the state of the country. They also said the crime is running rampant since Covid started.

Otherwise we got a bike back in 80% condition so the insurers are probably pretty happy. Maybe I should sell it now at more than R8,000 ;-)

Thanks all.

I know what I am about to ask you is going to be tough. These guys usually get away because no witnesses pitch up for the court cases and this is not always because the victims are too scared or lazy to testify but because the system is so inefficient. What usually happens is that at the first appearance the defense attorney asks the magistrate whether the prosecutor has any witnesses to testify against the accused, if there are none the magistrate is almost compelled to release them. Of course if the investigating officer is there he will testify that he has a number of witnesses willing to testify which helps a lot to keep them behind bars. This game is repeated throughout the trial and as soon as there is no one there to testify the defendants are released.

In 2016 we caught 3 bike jackers  in Klapperkop and although I wasn't a witness or a victim I coordinated the witnesses to ensure there was always someone available. At the bail hearing I approached the state prosecutor and asked her to ensure that these guys did not get bail as there were 11 people willing to attend an identity parade, I could see from her attitude that she didn't really care. So when these guys appeared and she did not push for them to remanded in custody I walked up to the bench and stood in front of the magistrate until he asked me "Sir why are you standing in front of me" I explained the situation to him and he asked the state prosecutor whether it was true. Well, you can imagine her embarrassment when the magistrate lambasted her for not speaking up for the community she was supposed to serve. The 3 accused were hauled back from the holding cells and their bail was revoked, ID parades were held. I ensured  that there was always at least one witness available per hearing, in fact my relationship with the magistrate was such that even if there wasn't a witness he gave me an hour or so to get them to the court. It took 3 years and about 12 court appearances but in the end they were put away for 12,18 and 29 years.

It's a tough ask but you will be doing your community a favour by just making sure that you testify, hopefully you'll find a switched on state prosecutor because if you do they can ensure that you give your evidence early on in the trial and you won't have to go through my ordeal.

I know what I am about to ask you is going to be tough. These guys usually get away because no witnesses pitch up for the court cases and this is not always because the victims are too scared or lazy to testify but because the system is so inefficient. What usually happens is that at the first appearance the defense attorney asks the magistrate whether the prosecutor has any witnesses to testify against the accused, if there are none the magistrate is almost compelled to release them. Of course if the investigating officer is there he will testify that he has a number of witnesses willing to testify which helps a lot to keep them behind bars. This game is repeated throughout the trial and as soon as there is no one there to testify the defendants are released.

In 2016 we caught 3 bike jackers  in Klapperkop and although I wasn't a witness or a victim I coordinated the witnesses to ensure there was always someone available. At the bail hearing I approached the state prosecutor and asked her to ensure that these guys did not get bail as there were 11 people willing to attend an identity parade, I could see from her attitude that she didn't really care. So when these guys appeared and she did not push for them to remanded in custody I walked up to the bench and stood in front of the magistrate until he asked me "Sir why are you standing in front of me" I explained the situation to him and he asked the state prosecutor whether it was true. Well, you can imagine her embarrassment when the magistrate lambasted her for not speaking up for the community she was supposed to serve. The 3 accused were hauled back from the holding cells and their bail was revoked, ID parades were held. I ensured  that there was always at least one witness available per hearing, in fact my relationship with the magistrate was such that even if there wasn't a witness he gave me an hour or so to get them to the court. It took 3 years and about 12 court appearances but in the end they were put away for 12,18 and 29 years.

It's a tough ask but you will be doing your community a favour by just making sure that you testify, hopefully you'll find a switched on state prosecutor because if you do they can ensure that you give your evidence early on in the trial and you won't have to go through my ordeal.

post-64325-0-13774700-1605152489_thumb.jpeg