Cape Epic without spectators - Not Epic

Pamie

Nothing...the only reason to watch is for when they get to go down the Gorge at Hoogies or Plumb Pudding on TM...for the lols.

Plumb Pudding was dumbed down.... they turned it into a highway so the spectator return value has diminished considerably except for a few die hards

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plumb Pudding was dumbed down.... they turned it into a highway so the spectator return value has diminished considerably except for a few die hards

Yeah it was mos. It's running pretty fast at the moment. Maybe next time someone changes the end signage so they gotta go down Plumb Pudding Proper :P

Fellow mountain bikers I may have delivered too strong an opinion on the spur of the moment. Was just once again disappointed and worked up over the whole COVID situation and then I received email regarding no spectators. My words at the beginning of email "Everybody ....." are wrong, sorry for that. In my case, the Epic is a whole adventure experienced with family and friends. As an amateur, this support is worth a lot during the event. Usually the epic is a week that the family is looking forward to and it is nice for them too to experience the tour together and support all riders, hence my disappointment. Anyway it's good to hear the different opinions and follow the conversation. Everyone's opinion is respected.

Fellow mountain bikers I may have delivered too strong an opinion on the spur of the moment. Was just once again disappointed and worked up over the whole COVID situation and then I received email regarding no spectators. My words at the beginning of email "Everybody ....." are wrong, sorry for that. In my case, the Epic is a whole adventure experienced with family and friends. As an amateur, this support is worth a lot during the event. Usually the epic is a week that the family is looking forward to and it is nice for them too to experience the tour together and support all riders, hence my disappointment. Anyway it's good to hear the different opinions and follow the conversation. Everyone's opinion is respected.

You feel the way you feel, own that. There is no right or wrong in this case

I pretty sure the Epic will happen next year.What will probably happen is a lot of the overseas riders won’t be able to come as the might be in lockdown or might be too scared to come.

I predict a reduced field on the line with mainly Safa’s  and still a lekke vibe and ride.

I expect organisers to say race is on and if you decide not to come that’s on your head.

Edited by stringbean

it's getting nice and gnarly again with natural wear and tear. Really enjoy that bit of trail.

it's getting nice and gnarly again with natural wear and tear. Really enjoy that bit of trail.

The two sections above and 2 below are amazing as well :) Albeit slightly butt puckering at times.

Not that I or anyone I know have dunnit!

The two sections above and 2 below are amazing as well :) Albeit slightly butt puckering at times.

Not that I or anyone I know have dunnit!

didn't know there was a section above. Only section above that I know is riding down the stairs from just above the blockhouse to the canons.

by section below I assume you mean the bit from the beacon down? Not that anyone has ever ridden that....

didn't know there was a section above. Only section above that I know is riding down the stairs from just above the blockhouse to the canons.

by section below I assume you mean the bit from the beacon down? Not that anyone has ever ridden that....

Yep...from the tip of the canon to the start of Epic ST...

Actually not, they used to own Ironman. Back in March Wanda sold Ironman to a family group, called Advance. They involved in media.

I don’t think Wanda sold Epic though. The numbers were favorable to sell Ironman, but they haven’t owned Epic long enough to realize a sizable gain.

The financial articles at the time eluded to the fact that the family who bought it were involved with some interesting accounting .....

Sounded way too similar to the Steinhoff type purchases .....

Actually not, they used to own Ironman. Back in March Wanda sold Ironman to a family group, called Advance. They involved in media.

I don’t think Wanda sold Epic though. The numbers were favorable to sell Ironman, but they haven’t owned Epic long enough to realize a sizable gain.

I read it.

They took a big financial hit not running the event this year. Entry fees alone don't pay the bills.

I think they will pull out all the stops to do 2021,only thing that could stop it would be government restrictions.

@Shebeen.  Agreed - Cape Epic as a single entity took a big hit.  I guess the only positive looking to 2021 is that a number of the international teams may defer to 2022, giving more local riders an opportunity to enter (assuming they can afford it).  

@TheBigger Picture  Looking at the much bigger picture:  I think ironman was sold for around three quarters of a billion dollars?  Stand to be corrected.  But it was a lot...  I doubt Wanda got a direct deposit for the full amount and there are no doubt a number of terms associated with the sale, but it is still a big cash windfall.

The sale aside, Wanda still managed a profit for the last quarter (although significantly reduced) - despite all the turmoil.  

Wanda may try offload other mass participation events but I doubt there will be too many interested parties at this point.   As such, I'm sure they will hold onto the Epic for the foreseeable future.  And despite all the issues of the last year (and possible issues in 2021), Wanda as a company looks as stable as can be expected under the circumstances.  So I doubt Epic is going anywhere  (even if 2021 doesn't happen, but I'm pretty sure it will)....

Just my thoughts...

EDIT - WANDA own Epic.  Not IRONMAN.  This may not be clear to all...

Edited by Dubber

Ironman was sold back to its original owners at a discount If I recall. Wanda wanted to offload quickly and did. They may be stuck with the Epic Series for a while as they have not recovered that investment yet. Who would be interested in buying? ASO?

Herein lies the crux, it is an expensive commitment. Financial, resource and time. Like any high key adventure/event though, the cost vs value balance lies with the individual. 

Given the status of an event like the Cape Epic though, there are ways and means to motivate a 'sponsored' entry compared to many other events.

Be it through a charity, corporate, event sponsor, etc .... I know of a few "average Joes and Janes" who managed this.

One mate does a sponsor proposal each year and sends it to his clients, they'll opt wether or not to commit and how much. 

Have covered about 10 events and ridden one which we motivated through a combined media/charity entry at the time.  

For sure. I feel though that since it is such a massively costly event, I've never felt right justifying trying to ask someone else to pay for it for me. But then I've never been great about asking for people's help to pay for things in my racing career, even when I've been going well and racing internationally. I wish it was in my nature to ask for help :-)

I have however been privileged to work with some UCI teams at the Epic and some other stage races. I find that very fulfilling. You get to enjoy the vibe without the race pressure to perform (just the pressure to carry out your job without a blip at any moment) . You work like a dog and feel pretty rough most of the time but it's still incredibly fun. 

If I had the choice between getting to race it once or work there a bunch more times, I would have a real battle choosing...