How to resist 26" deals?

martinza

It seems I can get a 26" downhill bike + 26" dirt jumper + 26" dual suspension XC for the price of one modern 29" trail bike? Each one of those would provide a purpose made experience, and should be truck loads of fun doing what they're made for.

If your only goal with riding a bike is to have fun, would it not be worth it to go 26inch? Fun in this case not measured by times on Strava or competing against others, just you and the outdoors.

It's a bit like playing old video games, do old games become less fun because new games are better? Or is it just our perception that changes?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Budget from some stress/anxiety meds when you eventually try to get spares or consumables for those bikes

there is no such thing as a 26" deal.

maybe 10 years ago.

but now they are a trap, parts are going to become impossible to find.

other than wheels and tyres, what other parts are we talking about that will be hard to get ?

Forks, frames, frame parts, hubs that won't play nice with your frame that have proprietary freehubs

No man

Only tires will potentially become an issue down the line and then it's easy to import. Also Chaoyang have rad options.

Kids bikes will always exist, Vee tire co will continue to make awesome 26 tires.

Dirt jump bikes will always exist..... 

It's a hugely over rated 'issue' to be honest.

https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-pike-dj-a4

What suspension issue?

100 or 140mm. Thats plenty enough for a 26” bike.

Yes it has to have a 44mm headtube but alot of the later ones do. (Or tapered). My 2016 BFE sure had.

Fox has a 36 too. As does marzocchi, manitou.

Then....you can just get 10 or 20mm less travel in a the plethora of 650b forks and either go mullet....or not.

Hope hubs also mean thats also a non issue. A 100 mm front hope hub can be QR, 12mm, 15mm ir 20mm TA...go on a gravel/road or a mtb. Rear can be 135qr, 142TA or bolt on. Again...gravel bikes are now using these so they’ll be around a while still.

Spank, halo etc for instance still make plenty if 26” wheel rims.

Maxxis, conti, schwalbe all still make 26” tires in the best tread patterns.

The rest is still the same.

It seems I can get a 26" downhill bike + 26" dirt jumper + 26" dual suspension XC for the price of one modern 29" trail bike? Each one of those would provide a purpose made experience, and should be truck loads of fun doing what they're made for.

If your only goal with riding a bike is to have fun, would it not be worth it to go 26inch? Fun in this case not measured by times on Strava or competing against others, just you and the outdoors.

It's a bit like playing old video games, do old games become less fun because new games are better? Or is it just our perception that changes?

All you need is the right 29'er trail bike that is all .. one that rides like a mini DH bike, a lekker jumper, brisk mile munch and lekker overall ..... may I introduce you to the YT Jeffsy :P

Modern bikes do things much better.

A modern DH 29 > older DH 26

A modern XC 29 > older XC 26

A modern DJ 29 > older DJ 26

Maybe you will end up with a bike fit for purpose, but it is not on par with a modern bike.

All you need is the right 29'er trail bike that is all .. one that rides like a mini DH bike, a lekker jumper, brisk mile munch and lekker overall ..... may I introduce you to the YT Jeffsy :P

Jip .... for 99% of people a single bike can do it all.

Marketing and peer pressure .... whole different discussion !!

26" vs 27,5" vs 29" .... idealy get the one thats in your size .... an XL frame on 26" is wrong on so many levels, same as somebody that insist on riding 29" on a XS frame, all stretched out and barely able to stand over the top tube.

Spares for 26" .... with two 26" bikes in our stable I can confirm that parts are easily available - EASIER than getting parts for a 29" Trek !! The only part that I cant get immediatly might be a hanger .... again, this applies to MOST bikes older than a few years.

As such, "parts availability" is NOT a decider .... rather concentrate on a proper fitting bike

27.5 was a gimmick there is only 26 and 29 now ... 26/4life never owned a circus bike although i do have clown shoes ..

reeeeeally .......

my 27.5 commuter does exactly the same job that a 29er would do .... for half the price.

So a BIG thanks to all those hating on 27,5  :thumbup:  those looking past the "hype" benefit from the snobism .... :whistling:

reeeeeally .......

my 27.5 commuter does exactly the same job that a 29er would do .... for half the price.

So a BIG thanks to all those hating on 27,5  :thumbup:  those looking past the "hype" benefit from the snobism .... :whistling:

i also ride 4x 56mm now what ?