How to resist 26" deals?

martinza

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how much you wanna spend. I have recently had a few mates ask me about getting into the sport. They don't wanna spend alot incase they don't enjoy it. In theses cases a 10 year old 26er for R3k will be way better than a brand new 29er BSO from makro for R3k. You would probably also get most of your money back when you wanna upgrade to a more expensive bike.

Regarding the spares issue. The only big one to me is suspension forks. Most older 26ers had straight steerers. You could get away with a 27.5 fork but the straight steerer tubes are harder to get. 26in rims and tyres will be around for a long time still. You might not get the same selection but you will get something.

Exactly. I recently "sourced" an mtb for a mate who is trying to get into the sport. He has a couple of kids and things are tight and had 6k to spend on a bike. The 29'ers for 6k are rubbish. Really terrible components and wheels. I found him a 26er with XT, a good Rockshox fork and light strong wheels for 5k.

Yes, the geometry and wheel size are old, but compared to the 29er equivalent, it is a great bike.

I've thought of replacing the Yeti with a newer shorter travel bike, but then I ride a cool flowing trail with some rocks and remember why I bought it in the first place. I've got a 29" hard tail and it suits me for the more gravel rides, so why replace

Me not enjoying my recent 26" DH build:

20200803_153510.jpg

You look to be rolling so slow....i mean i could see in that video how your front wheel got hung up on those gravel stones. And the geometry...hell, you must hurt so much riding in that uncomfortable position. Also, assuming that is a wooden frame? Surely alloy didn't exist in 26” days? And how did you manage to get down the hill on those Makro tires? I like how you used a marker to draw in the maxxis logos for effect ☺️ Edited by morneS555

No man

Only tires will potentially become an issue down the line and then it's easy to import. Also Chaoyang have rad options.

Kids bikes will always exist, Vee tire co will continue to make awesome 26 tires.

Dirt jump bikes will always exist..... 

It's a hugely over rated 'issue' to be honest.

This was my only recent "issue" was the 26" tires and i ended up getting a set of Chaoyang Hornets and they are flippen awesome!!!!!!!!

Also as mentioned anything can be imported if 26" is the ride of your choice as is with me, a 29" is just too much for my short legs, i did everything the "Downhillers" did this weekend on my 26" and im sure i got more air hahahahahahaha

You look to be rolling so slow....i mean i could see in that video how your front wheel got hung up on those gravel stones. And the geometry...hell, you must hurt so much riding in that uncomfortable position. Also, assuming that is a wooden frame? Surely alloy didn't exist in 26” days? And how did you manage to get down the hill on those Makro tires? I like how you used a marker to draw in the maxxis logos for effect ☺️

Spot on, Rushdee does ride like a girl

my take...

MTB geometry is still a developing "science"...  a relatively average modern MTB will run circles around a top-of-the-range model from 10 years ago.

So a 26" full-sus XC bike from 2010 won't be nearly as fun to ride as a similar bike from 2018 and it's not because of wheel size, but just general geometry.

My solution to riding a fun yet affordable bike, is to buy a ~130mm enduro bike from ~3 years ago.  These are capable enough for the rough stuff and if you're not racing, you can comfortably ride anything else on it too.

The biggest issue for me is that most 26ers have pretty outdated geo, but that also depends on what kind of riding you do.

I took my 26" Ti Ragley hardtail and stuck a pair of American Classic 650B wheels on it. Tight fit, but I don't think I'll ever let it go. Bike is light and rides like a dream. The bike now has tyres you can't find, hubs you can't get spares for, an irreplaceable fork, a dying BB standard.. I guess it is not going to cost me much going forward :-D

I took my 26" Ti Ragley hardtail and stuck a pair of American Classic 650B wheels on it. Tight fit, but I don't think I'll ever let it go. Bike is light and rides like a dream. The bike now has tyres you can't find, hubs you can't get spares for, an irreplaceable fork, a dying BB standard.. I guess it is not going to cost me much going forward :-D

Yeah, I generalized based on XC type bikes. There were some very nice ones though that are still fun to ride now.

Bikes have changed and improved a lot over the last 10 years though.

my take...

MTB geometry is still a developing "science"...  a relatively average modern MTB will run circles around a top-of-the-range model from 10 years ago.

So a 26" full-sus XC bike from 2010 won't be nearly as fun to ride as a similar bike from 2018 and it's not because of wheel size, but just general geometry.

My solution to riding a fun yet affordable bike, is to buy a ~130mm enduro bike from ~3 years ago.  These are capable enough for the rough stuff and if you're not racing, you can comfortably ride anything else on it too.

Your post had me wondering ... even slightly worried .....

We spent a good bit of cash re-doing a 10 year old Mongoose ..... Maritz needs 2cm more inseam, then he can shred this beauty.

But after your post I wondered about the geometry ....

I measured up the following:

- 10 year old Mongoose, 26''

- 4 year old Merida, 17,5''

- last years Titan, 26'' (which Maritz is currently riding, very happily with no issues)

Turns out the "new" Titan has more AGRESSIVE geometry than the Mongoose.  :eek:   Fork 1-degree more upright, distance between front and rear axles 15mm shorter on the Titan (okay, that it probably just the difference between the XS and the M frames).  The Merida fork angle came in smack bang in the middle of these two.

Punch line, when he gets onto the "old bike" in a few months he is getting better geometry ..... uhm, ja .... guess that in itself is a whole different topic ..... "aggresive" vs "long and slack" geometry ....  

PUNCH LINE ....from this small sample of bikes 10 years of "progress" has not resulted in "massive changes" in these bikes.

PS - I do prefer a bike with a slacker angle than these three bikes ..... The Merida is my commuter, and I am always amazed at the quick reactions to steering input, as compared to my MTB with a 4 degrees more on the fork angle .....  So did the designs change so much over the years, OR is it a matter of having so many more options now ?