Single Speed Ratio for Road Route with hills

Afrozoolander

Hello

I have recently purchased a single speed road bike. It needs a front and rear brake installed so I have not taken it for a spin yet. Furthermore, I have never actually tried riding a road bike as I have always used a mountain bike on the roads.

So I would like to take this opportunity to discuss the gearing ratio. I have a 20-34 on my mountain bike but I am not sure if things are very different when it comes to a road bike.

I mostly ride from Gordons Bay to Betty's Bay (see https://www.strava.com/routes/2128040) as well as up to Steebras Dam (see https://www.strava.com/segments/up-steenbras-8728665).

The road bike currently has a 20-46 ratio. I personally think that this ratio is too big. However, it is only speculation.

Please recommend a gear ratio that you think would work. I would like to maintain cadence between 65 and 115 rpm. I prefer higher cadence over slower (I think that is a general consensus though). 

I will have to change the chain-ring as rear free-hubs seem to only go up to 20 teeth. The road bike uses a 110 bcd five bolt crank. I have seen these on Amazon (see https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-BMX-Singlespeed-Fixie-Chainring/dp/B003J7ZP9W/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WXTHEMHNPHP9AW2GQ6X7). There is not perhaps chainrings that I can pruchase locally as Amazon shipping takes long with COVID etc.

Thank you for your time.

On the road, say, for Argus, I would usually ride 3:1. 

So 39/13. or 53/18. With the 46 you could go with a 15 or 16.

That would be my recommendation.

Argus 2020: Fixed gear, 48/16.....never had any issues on any climbs, descents are another story tho! Unclipped a few times to just let go but NOT recommended!

Hello

I have recently purchased a single speed road bike. It needs a front and rear brake installed so I have not taken it for a spin yet. Furthermore, I have never actually tried riding a road bike as I have always used a mountain bike on the roads.

So I would like to take this opportunity to discuss the gearing ratio. I have a 20-34 on my mountain bike but I am not sure if things are very different when it comes to a road bike.

I mostly ride from Gordons Bay to Betty's Bay (see https://www.strava.com/routes/2128040) as well as up to Steebras Dam (see https://www.strava.com/segments/up-steenbras-8728665).

The road bike currently has a 20-46 ratio. I personally think that this ratio is too big. However, it is only speculation.

Please recommend a gear ratio that you think would work. I would like to maintain cadence between 65 and 115 rpm. I prefer higher cadence over slower (I think that is a general consensus though). 

I will have to change the chain-ring as rear free-hubs seem to only go up to 20 teeth. The road bike uses a 110 bcd five bolt crank. I have seen these on Amazon (see https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-BMX-Singlespeed-Fixie-Chainring/dp/B003J7ZP9W/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WXTHEMHNPHP9AW2GQ6X7). There is not perhaps chainrings that I can pruchase locally as Amazon shipping takes long with COVID etc.

Thank you for your time.

what bike or rather what hub if you can only find 20t cogs?

Thank you very much for all the replies. It is much appreciated. I think the general consensus is that a 20-46 gear setup for a road bike should be adequate in dealing with road climbs.

So I am going to definitely try out the bike as is once the brakes get put on. Hopefully, I can provide feedback from there on and determine if a smaller gear is perhaps required.

It would seem like road bikes are very efficient compared to mountain bikes.

what bike or rather what hub if you can only find 20t cogs?

Its one of those flip hubs where you can out a fixed track cog on the one side and a freewheel cog on the other. In very rare cases, I have seen 22 teeth be the largest.

Its one of those flip hubs where you can out a fixed track cog on the one side and a freewheel cog on the other. In very rare cases, I have seen 22 teeth be the largest.

Got you .. I have the same with a 16T x 53T combo, but this is mostly for flat area riding.

post-5403-0-64202300-1605431294_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Revisiting a previous thread. 

I am in the process of building a single speed (not fixed) commuter / fun bicycle. I have a double blade crank with a 42 / 52 combination. What ratio would you recommend for general playing around and short commutes. I stay in Centurion Pretoria. 

37 minutes ago, Fork-it said:

Revisiting a previous thread. 

I am in the process of building a single speed (not fixed) commuter / fun bicycle. I have a double blade crank with a 42 / 52 combination. What ratio would you recommend for general playing around and short commutes. I stay in Centurion Pretoria. 

I'm not sure how steep the hills are around there but here round Joburg I manage ok with a 42x20 ... look you not gonna be doing 30k average speeds but you should get up the hills

12 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'm not sure how steep the hills are around there but here round Joburg I manage ok with a 42x20 ... look you not gonna be doing 30k average speeds but you should get up the hills

Thank you, I would prefer a comfortable slower ride where I can manage the hills. At the moment I am not looking at high speeds.

It depends on your fitness and strength to be honest. 2.5 to 1 would be a good place to start on a road bike.

so 42/17 is close. 

I rode CTCT 39/13 or 3/1 and my 'gravel' bike SS was 39/19 which got me round the Swartberg Gran Fondo route a couple of times.

Last year I rode CTCT 32/13 and it was a bit light with 20 inch wheels

On 11/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, Afrozoolander said:

Hello

Thank you for your time.

See below, and go from there. If you can ride up a hill at 18.82kph, you can run a 20.

Having said that, I have set climbing PBs on my SS as one is just forced to dig deeper, and sometimes you find something extra there.

Screenshot_20210609-084720_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by eddy

9 minutes ago, eddy said:

See below, and go from there. If you can ride up a hill at 18.82kph, you can run a 20.

Having said that, I have set climbing PBs on my SS as one is just forced to dig deeper, and sometimes you find something extra there.

Screenshot_20210609-084720_Samsung Internet.jpg

that does not specify what wheel and crank sizes were used in the calculations

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Only wheel size makes a difference. 

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

As I am not an idiot and he asked about a roadbike, I  obviously used  700c. 

Explain to me how crank "sizes" affect gear ratios.

27 minutes ago, eddy said:

As I am not an idiot and he asked about a roadbike, I  obviously used  700c. 

but my statement still holds true, the image posted does not specify wheel size used.

Explain to me how crank "sizes" affect gear ratios.

my bad, I was thinking of something else.