Another cyclist killed...

Mojoman

Darion Faro appeared in Atlantis Magistrates Court was charged with culpable homicide, alternative reckless negligent driving and two counts of attempted murder and driving under the influence after killing Nathier Roberts and injuring Shafiek Alexander, bail was fixed at R 5000

Thanks for letting us know, lets hope the justice system work as it supposed to for a change.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't agree with the sentiment that it was an "accident and he never intended to kill anyone".

Countless campaigns over the years about arrive alive and driving safety specifically focusing on speeding and drunk driving and how it has taken many lives and destroyed families over the years.

Yes he is young but at 22 or 28 he should be mature enough to make responsible decisions.

If you at the age where you allowed to drink and drive then you are no longer a kid.

anyone at that age should understand the potential risk and consequences of deciding to take the risk of driving under the influence especially given all the campaigns against this action.

This.. getting drunk and getting into a car was his choice. The cyclist getting killed was a consequence of this choice. He should meet the full might of the law.

As a father of a 19 yo son with his own car, I have had to have the drinking & driving conversation. Luckily my son is sensible and as a rule, absolutely never drinks when he drives. On occasion he asks me to drop him off and pick him up after a social where he knows he is going to drink something. I told him that I would rather get a call from him at any time of the night to pick him up than getting a call from the cops to say he is in jail.

This.. getting drunk and getting into a car was his choice. The cyclist getting killed was a consequence of this choice. He should meet the full might of the law.

As a father of a 19 yo son with his own car, I have had to have the drinking & driving conversation. Luckily my son is sensible and as a rule, absolutely never drinks when he drives. On occasion he asks me to drop him off and pick him up after a social where he knows he is going to drink something. I told him that I would rather get a call from him at any time of the night to pick him up than getting a call from the cops to say he is in jail.

Think that is the real key that your son trusts you. kudos.

Think that is the real key that your son trusts you. kudos.

And we trust him. He has on occasion challenged me when I wanted to drive after a beer. He told me I can't have different sets of rules for me and him. He was right. He drove us home.

We keep him accountable in this regard and he does us. But he is in matric and lives with us so it is easier. Not so much when they live on their own.

Edited by Puncture Kid

And we trust him. He has on occasion challenged me when I wanted to drive after a beer. He told me I can't have different sets of rules for me and him. He was right. He drove us home.

We keep him accountable in this regard and he does us. But he is in matric and lives with us so it is easier. Not so much when they live on their own.

Sounds like you treat him like the adult that you want him to behave like, good on you ????????

This is where i have an issue, the binary issue of being a safe/drunk driver.

Driving home after one beer is not really an issue(IMHO).

You may or may not be approaching the limit, if you are stopped and over the limit then the binary system says you are a drunk driver.finis en klaar

I will stake my bike collection on this knob driving into cyclists on a weekend morning being WELL over the limit. I would much rather the system chases the okes WELL over the limit than worries about aunty who has had a GnT and is now, according to the binary system, a drunk driver.

because at the end of the day. the 100 people at ~0.06mg/l are not really causing a problem, it's the 10 guys at 0.3mg/l + and can't walk/talk but will drive a car that are the issue. There should be bigger consequences for being MORE over the limit.

and it goes without saying that moving the legal limit to ZERO is only going to affect the responsible people. the people who already ignore it will just gaan on as usual. and probably be happier because now the cops are wasting their time chasing okes who have had cough medicine and are pinging their meters

absolutely never drinks when he drives. ...

This right here...

Reading through comments, a lot of the suggestions rely on 'The System' to fix things.  Tougher laws, more cops, reduced speeds etc etc.  All valid points.  But in my opinion the change starts with us (not just cyclists - all of us).

If you are going to drive, just don't drink.  If you can't do this, arrange for someone else to drive or rely on commercial services.  

If we go out, have a few drinks and then drive, we are setting precedents for ourselves and everyone around us - especially the youth.  They see everyone having 'a few drinks' and then get in a car - subconsciously this makes it normal and acceptable.

There is not much else we can do.  But this one step is within our remit.  Try it.  Get someone else to try it.  Its a start...  Make it the norm.  Society has to change as I doubt laws will have any meaningful impact.

Having grown up in SA and now living on the other side of the world, I have noticed a fairly substantial difference in attitude towards drivers operating motor vehicles under the influence of alcohol.

This is evident simply in the term. In SA one says "Drunk Driver". In New Zealand and Australia they say "Drink Driver".

The difference being is that here it is acknowledged that one doesn't need to be drunk in order to violate the conditions of operating a motor vehicle. They simply have been drinking enough to likely push them over the legal limit..

This basic difference in terminology reflects the differences in mindset around alcohol and driving.

In SA many people use the measure of "I still feel fine" to justify getting behind the wheel.

In NZ and Aus most people will not start a car if they have had more than 2 drinks.

Yes, in Aus/NZ public transport is more accessible and the fear of the law is real (no slipping R100 to a cop or getting let off with a warning).

But those are not pre-requisite to people's mindsets changing, as well as making it more socially UNacceptable to drink drive.

As they say in the TV ads here "mates should look out for mates". We can all do our part. Even if it's just within our social circles.

Edited by patches

You may or may not be approaching the limit, if you are stopped and over the limit then the binary system says you are a drunk driver.finis en klaar

I will stake my bike collection on this knob driving into cyclists on a weekend morning being WELL over the limit. I would much rather the system chases the okes WELL over the limit than worries about aunty who has had a GnT and is now, according to the binary system, a drunk driver.

because at the end of the day. the 100 people at ~0.06mg/l are not really causing a problem, it's the 10 guys at 0.3mg/l + and can't walk/talk but will drive a car that are the issue. There should be bigger consequences for being MORE over the limit.

and it goes without saying that moving the legal limit to ZERO is only going to affect the responsible people. the people who already ignore it will just gaan on as usual. and probably be happier because now the cops are wasting their time chasing okes who have had cough medicine and are pinging their meters

Didn't you just tell everyone to stop talking about broader issues?

Darion Faro appeared in Atlantis Magistrates Court was charged with culpable homicide, alternative reckless negligent driving and two counts of attempted murder and driving under the influence after killing Nathier Roberts and injuring Shafiek Alexander, bail was fixed at R 5000

I'll never forget that chap who drove drunk into a police roadblock and killed 2 cops in Fourways. 

10 grand fine for being drunk, 2 counts of culpable homicide sentenced to 6 years jail wholly suspended.

Niks, nadda, f*kol repercussions. 2 lives.

Driving while blottoed is just so easily accepted across all races, sexes and ages in this country..
I live in a small town with 3 bottle stores (when I moved here back in 93 there was only 1 small store)...and they are always busy, midweek or weekends..I work at a bar on weekends and people just get hammered on shooters...Are people drinking so much more because the future is so bleak here or is it because we are just a nation that likes to drink and party?

I think education and curbing/restricting supply is the way forward...I also used to piss it up and drive drunk...I drove my 4x4 into a tree years ago while driving back about 2km from a mates house (farm servitude road luckily!)...The bull bar took the impact but after that I slowed down on the whizzers and beers and basically stopped but unfortunately it seems to take a big wake up before a person makes a change....

Edited by Mojoman

This right here...

Reading through comments, a lot of the suggestions rely on 'The System' to fix things.  Tougher laws, more cops, reduced speeds etc etc.  All valid points.  But in my opinion the change starts with us (not just cyclists - all of us).

If you are going to drive, just don't drink.  If you can't do this, arrange for someone else to drive or rely on commercial services.  

If we go out, have a few drinks and then drive, we are setting precedents for ourselves and everyone around us - especially the youth.  They see everyone having 'a few drinks' and then get in a car - subconsciously this makes it normal and acceptable.

There is not much else we can do.  But this one step is within our remit.  Try it.  Get someone else to try it.  Its a start...  Make it the norm.  Society has to change as I doubt laws will have any meaningful impact.

I like the way Heineken puts its.

-If you know you are going to drink, don't drive there. Take the Uber there, take it back.

-If you drove somewhere, don't drink.

This should become the starting point for all outings.

Like you said. We can only start with ourselves and our loved ones. A friendly suggestion here or there, offering to drive someone home, let them sleep over. Let's be the change we want to see.

post-27827-0-12907100-1605674779_thumb.jpg

Well this is where I have the issue with what you are saying. Saying that you are fine to drive after one or 2 drinks creates a slippery slope. Two drink are not equal to other 2 drinks. My 2 drinks is maybe your 4. My 2 drinks today may be 1 drink tomorrow. Too easy to fall down that slope and think you are ok, but you are actually not. In that case you are actually part of the problem. IMHO it is better to have a binary rule for yourself e.g. no driving until 12 hours after your last drink or whatever. Then there is no slippery slope or risk.