Another cyclist killed...

Mojoman

easy you either leave in an Uber or you don't leave till morning and that entails crashing on a matress where the 5month old Pitt bull will likely relieve himself (he's got this thing about people occupying his space) all over you.

When you arrive the car keys go in a basket that's in his bed. or in the safe. I was very unpopular a few years back when I unveiled a box of breathalyser tests before anyone got their keys back. One oke threatened to call the cops to lay a charge of car key theft.   I gave him the phone.

the easiest solution is don't serve alcohol

You'd think by now we'd all know that if you drink and drive you are quite possibly going to kill someone like this young man did, making people lives a misery.  This family lost someone just going for a healthy bike ride, it's sad and it's disgusting

But DnD I'm not coming to your braai - I don't drink drive and I'm happy for you to order me and Uber or breathalise me but please don't give me boerewors and expect me not to have a beer

Alcohol is not the problem, if you don't drink that's great.  If you like to get rat arsed good for you, your headache your choice. If you enjoy one or two beers occasionally and some wine as I do, also cool.  It's so simple, booze and driving are not like peas and carrots.  They just don't go together

Personally I don't leave home much so it's not really an issue.  So @Dieselndust I'm not coming to your boozeless braai to which I wasn't invited

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think by now we'd all know that if you drink and drive you are quite possibly going to kill someone like this young man did, making people lives a misery.  This family lost someone just going for a healthy bike ride, it's sad and it's disgusting

But DnD I'm not coming to your braai - I don't drink drive and I'm happy for you to order me and Uber or breathalise me but please don't give me boerewors and expect me not to have a beer

Alcohol is not the problem, if you don't drink that's great.  If you like to get rat arsed good for you, your headache your choice. If you enjoy one or two beers occasionally and some wine as I do, also cool.  It's so simple, booze and driving are not like peas and carrots.  They just don't go together

Personally I don't leave home much so it's not really an issue.  So @Dieselndust I'm not coming to your boozeless braai to which I wasn't invited

I agree its not like peas and carrots and people shouldn't get rat arsed but unfortunately they do.

and I agree alocohol isn't the problem, people are. Just like guns don't kill people, people do. Alcohol is just a tool and like others tools it will be abused by those who aren't responsible.

BTW I didn't say you can't bring your own beer...#semanet

The other Friday evening I popped into the Sasol shop in Port Elizabeth.

There were 4 guys in a dropped golf each with a glass in hand there to get some ice .. and off they went. 

Drunk driving is not just something people get away with, in some communities it's a status symbol now.

The other Friday evening I popped into the Sasol shop in Port Elizabeth.

There were 4 guys in a dropped golf each with a glass in hand there to get some ice .. and off they went. 

Drunk driving is not just something people get away with, in some communities it's a status symbol now.

Its not a community thing, its a drinking thing. I see it lots with many different people. Even beers in cupholders. 

Easy to say call an uber

Then the uber driver arrives drunk......

Yissis!! I once caught a taxi in Harare. The driver was so gesuip that I had to grab the wheel multiple times for us to not have a head on.

It's terrifying putting your life in the hands of a drunkard in a foreign country.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Its not a community thing, its a drinking thing. I see it lots with many different people. Even beers in cupholders. 

Ride your bike on Chappies on any Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Not only are the okes getting lickered up. They are also blazing BIG TIME. Then those fkers climb behind the wheel of their car and drive!!! So So So scary.

The only thing we still need in this country is a driver service like the have in places around Europe.

For when a Family goes to a braai, with kids in Car seats, and both parents had a drink. Or any other scenario where someone drove to the party and don't want to leave the car there.

You phone up the service that delivers a driver to the venue and the driver takes you home in your own car. They typically pitch with a collapsible mini-motorbike that they stash in your boot for the drive to your home. Afterwards, he gets on his motorbike and drives to the next pickup or Home.

The only thing we still need in this country is a driver service like the have in places around Europe.

For when a Family goes to a braai, with kids in Car seats, and both parents had a drink. Or any other scenario where someone drove to the party and don't want to leave the car there.

You phone up the service that delivers a driver to the venue and the driver takes you home in your own car. They typically pitch with a collapsible mini-motorbike that they stash in your boot for the drive to your home. Afterwards, he gets on his motorbike and drives to the next pickup or Home.

Check your banking or insurance policy bru... You probably have it already.

My 2c.

As someone who used to live in Milnerton, I found myself riding on the R27 occasionally, simply to increase the mileage on my rides. As nice as the cycle path is from Sunset Beach to Melkbosstrand, it's a little boring.

And the reason I found myself riding away from town i.e. using the R27, was that it simply became too unsafe to ride from e.g. Milnerton into Woodstock and then into the Southern Suburbs.

The fact that we have to ride on the freaking highway, from the West Coast, to get into Cape Town, because the cycle lane is a hive of criminal activity and overrun with criminals and homeless people as you go through Paarden Eiland is sad.

It's an all round screwed up situation.

The booze and drunk driving issue is so complex in this country there is no simple solution. Plenty of people are getting behind a wheel after having a drink and (thumbsuck)99% of the time there is no accident/fatality.

Where it affects us acutely is the weekend morning crashes.

I'd like to think there is enough data now for advocacy groups like PPA taking this to authorities.

Surely it is an easy gains game too, there are some obvious areas and timeslots where you can get a high chance of catching some people WELL over the limit.

Didn't you just tell everyone to stop talking about broader issues?

I did, but it didn't seem to gain much traction. I'd be more than happy to shift this to another thread.

There are plenty of those here.They advertise on the draadloos all the time.Not the minibike granted but they fetch the driver

Edited by Kranswurm

Then call another, which is just as easy.

Friends were gassed up and got in

On the highway they realized the driver was drunk and at one stage wanted him to pull over so that they could drive

Point is not even a taxi service is safe