Leatt 3.0 Full Face Helmet w/Detachable chin bar feedback

Bjorn881

I'm looking to get feedback from people who have used the Leatt (formerly DBX) now MTB 3.0 Enduro full face helmet with the detachable chin bar in terms of comfort, durability (if you took a fall with it), airflow and how hot it gets in summer, I know a few years ago people had issues in terms of the clasps breaking off from the detachable chin bar?

I have attached a link below to the 2021 version

https://leatt.com/za/shop/mtb/protection/helmets/helmet-mtb-3-0-enduro-v21-sku-1021000640-W?selected-color=5440

Mine is nearly two years old. Clasps are still fine. Never had an issue with the build quality.

Haven't had to use it in self defense yet, so I can't comment on the safety aspect.

It gets hot in there. So hot that I remove the chin bar for climbs, and have a second, better ventilated net al helmet for days where I don't use the chin bar.

But even with the chin bar on it, it vents well enough on descents.

I like leatt helmets, so I am biased, I have a convertible V3, and a V2.

The version 1 had clasp problems. I reported it when mine broke and was told it was my fault. After it happened to a few more people I rode with I contacted them again and they then admitted it was a problem and replaced the lid...with the same model (knowing it was potentially problematic).

Anyway the replacement got stolen and I got a new version and have had zero issues.

Other than that the lid is great on my head, fit is rad, weight is rad and ventilation is great (even in Jonkers summertime).

Not sure why you woudl want to try climb with the chin bar on anyway...otherwise why would one buy a lid with a removable chin bar? :P

I have crashed a good few times, but never more than a light brushing on the lid. Needless to say if I had crashed hard i woudl replace it (as you should too...lids are not designed to take multiple crashed to the head and keep going...as much as many of my incompetent friends think they should).

And it has passed all the required safety standards and is still the only widely available removable chin lid locally.

So ya...go for it

I've had one for about 2 years. No major crashes and no complaints about comfort or build quality/durability.

My only 2 "complaints" are that with the chin bar on, it's super uncomfortable to wear sunglasses so you need a set of goggles. Which is fine, but you look like a bit of a muppet if you keep the goggles on after you have removed the chin bar.

And secondly, the ventilation isn't great without the chin bar compared to my XC helmet. I was kinda hoping that I could get away with just the 1 helmet but I still find myself grabbing my XC helmet for long rides rather than this lid. That said, I'm not sure how it's ventilation compares to other convertible helmets because I've never ridden any others.

I'm a bit biased since I used to sell Leatt - very good stuff. Of the probably 30+ I have sold there has only been 1 issue with clasps (on first gen), and that was warrantied quite quickly.

I have also been using mine for 3 years, no issues.

When climbing would one have to store the removeable chin bar in/attach it to a backpack/bladder or is there another clever method I haven't thought of to store the chin bar when not in use?

I've had one for about 2 years. No major crashes and no complaints about comfort or build quality/durability.

My only 2 "complaints" are that with the chin bar on, it's super uncomfortable to wear sunglasses so you need a set of goggles. Which is fine, but you look like a bit of a muppet if you keep the goggles on after you have removed the chin bar.

And secondly, the ventilation isn't great without the chin bar compared to my XC helmet. I was kinda hoping that I could get away with just the 1 helmet but I still find myself grabbing my XC helmet for long rides rather than this lid. That said, I'm not sure how it's ventilation compares to other convertible helmets because I've never ridden any others.

I ONLY ride with sunnies. So far 4 diff pairs without issue.

Also...it's not an XCO/M lid, so bit of a unreasonable expectation. But for me, who gets hot REALLY fast, it is plenty well ventilated even for midsummer.

As for chinny storage...i hook it into my waist strap for bum bag or onto my backpack or if it's a short or jeeptrack climb i just hang it over my handlebars.

I ONLY ride with sunnies. So far 4 diff pairs without issue.

Also...it's not an XCO/M lid, so bit of a unreasonable expectation. But for me, who gets hot REALLY fast, it is plenty well ventilated even for midsummer.

Guess we have differently shaped heads then  :P  I find it super uncomfortable with my sunnies, the padding squeezes the sunglass arms into the side of my head and gives me a headache. No issue like that with goggles.

Yeah, like I said, I hoped it would be cooler because the extra protection around the back of the neck is a plus. Still have the XC lid for when I need it. That said, I've ridden with just the lid bit in 35° and I didn't die so it's not terrible. Just warmer than an XC lid which is par for the course.

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I stumbled onto this thread
I bought one in the lockiedown from Bike Addict on sale - the one clasp broke when I tried it on at home - didn't even go for a ride, thus suspect it was the older version. 
It was replaced by them however no issues (thanks Wayne)
I liked the helmet and only used the chinbar for "big" rides in Jonkers and as I cycle from my house I would strap the chinbar onto my Camelbak, put it on at the top and take it off at the bottom. Really enjoyed that option, was yet to try it in proper summer though but felt great winter/autumn. Sunglasses also tricky for me to wear when chinbar is on but whatever...you forget about it soon enough going down.
I fell once with the chinbar on (not directly on the helmet though) coming down Iron Monkey (Jonkers) and the chinbar saved my face from a tree stump - pretty stoked as I could still kiss the missus that evening.

I had another crash after that without the chinbar on where my front wheel got stuck sending me into a forward flip with the bike all balanced on my head. I broke my toe somehow and got a concussion and post-concussion syndrome for more than 4 weeks. Felt like a moerse babbelas that wouldn't go away. lol
To be honest, I think if I was still wearing my 4yo Fox helmet it might have ended much worse. Up for debate I guess, but I feel the Leatt did OK given the fall.
I reckon the helmet is finished now and will be replacing soonest, the chinbar is perfect still so I want to get another one so I can still use the old chinbar as well. Wayne says they will only be getting stock of this helmet in January, anyone know if you can use the chinbar on any other Leatt helmet - I remember reading that somewhere....I'll attach an image of the helmet post crash just to see

So I reckon it will be wise to replace....there is a visible dent and my klokkie was behoorlik gelui so why risk it still using it... 

Does anyone know if Leatt offers crash replacement ?
Discount when replacing after a crash possibly...

post-103094-0-31083500-1606396368_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

I'm in the market for the new 4.0 version with detachable chin bar, but do you think one can find stock anywhere?? Not a chance. Even their gloves are virtually non existent. This stock crisis is such a ball ache. Stupid question, but is Leatt a South African company?

I'm in the market for the new 4.0 version with detachable chin bar, but do you think one can find stock anywhere?? Not a chance. Even their gloves are virtually non existent. This stock crisis is such a ball ache. Stupid question, but is Leatt a South African company?

yes, but not manufactured here obviously