Tyre choice for Cross Cape gravel ride

DehanL

I am taking on the Cross Cape route on my Specialized Diverge gravel bike soon.

The tyre choice is between the 38mm Panaracer Gravelking SK (small knobs) or the regular Gravelking (light file tread).

I am not very familiar with the route, but suspect the faster rolling, regular GK will be the better weapon, considering we probably don't have too many hectic switchback descents in our part of the world. Also, I know some long sections will just be tarmac. Am I being a naïve moron?

Any hubbers with some experience with these tyres and the area? Are the regular GK untameable on the dirt? I am a bit of a roadie, and would hate to drag any unnecessary tread along if not necessary. I'm a bit hasty like that.

Looking forward to the discussion!

a lot of the regional/dirt roads down here are in such good shape that you could probably ride a slick on it without too much trouble imo. i'd go with the tyre that makes the tar bits go faster.

a lot of the regional/dirt roads down here are in such good shape that you could probably ride a slick on it without too much trouble imo. i'd go with the tyre that makes the tar bits go faster.

Thanks for the input!

Take the SK's. It's like extra clothes, you can take off what you have but you cannot put on what you don't have. There are sections that you will want your SK's a lot more than the little benefit the regular GK's will offer on the tar sections. 

There is not a moerse lot of tar and some of the dirt stretches (the Rooiberg as just one example)

are a bit sketchy.

I have ridden some of the legs on 38SK's and they are fast enough on tar and somehow the knobs gives me a sense of comfort on the dirt.

Looks like SK's for the win. Will pick up a set and give some feedback on how thy held up. Thanks guys