Advice: Sani2C December 2020

aquaratza

You need less than you think. Most important, get bike in perfect order. The more attention you pay here, the less problems you have. Power banks are nice. I packed a car battery and inverter in my son's box one year, he is a strong lad, so we were sorted there. Day 2 take it easy down into the valley, you can get carried away it is such great riding. Take an extra empty bottle to fill, from table 1 to 2 on the 2nd day can be very hot. I will be in the Adventure with my wife this year. I always get sick after Sani, so I get some Cantraxil from the doc to start taking during the race. I think its from dirty bottle lids.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Would you guys recommend a full sus XC type bike or a hardtail?

Hi I did twice on a hardtail and once on a fullsus. It is totally rideable on hardtail. One advantage of the fullsus i noticed is that my but did not hurt as much due to softer ride. But is not as bad that I would say you must have a fullsus. I enjoyed all 3 times a lot.

Edited by Gerhard765

For heat and gyppo guts:

1. Wash your hands.  All the time. I did Sani (and Berg 'n Bush, which had a legendary year of poo one time) a number of times, never, touch wood, ever got the squits.  Probably worth taking a small bottle of hand sanitiser to use before eating - I always meant to, never did.

Don't drink berg water.  It's got a nasty ecoli ('Berg bug').  This goes for over-night accommodation before the race as well, just in case - drink bottled water.

Sani supplied water has always been 100% for me.

2. If it's hot, slow down, ride within your capability.  Take sachets of Rehydrate, don't be shy to use them if you feeling grim. Put electrolytes or salt in your water, but not so much that you're going to dehydrate yourself by too much electrolytes.  If it's really hot, I use about half what is recommended - it's worked for me.

If it still feels too hot, slow down more.

Hardcore old-timers open a sachet of Rehydrate, pour it on their tongue and sluk it down with water.  If you do this, don't breathe in while it's on your tongue - Rehydrate powder down your windpipe is not completely comfortable.  Don't ask me how I might know this.

Edited by davetapson

Oh, and Rennies.  If you cramp, Rennies are the thing.  I've taken box fulls and handed them out to the sufferers (and myself!!)

For some reason, end of first day for me, cramp... too much excitement, too much fun, then... argh...
Days 2 and 3, fine.

Bike stuff, I took less and less over time. 

Like @Pieterlab said, maybe spare brake pads for if you have a wet year and everyone burns through theirs and there are none left in the bike shops.

You not going to be feeling like fixing your bike by the end of the day - if there is something wrong with it, hand it over to a bike shop, go drink some beers. 

Have some means of fixing whatever your tyre set up is so at least you can get home should you do something to your tyres, the rest, make a plan if faced with issues - take a multi-tool between you.

Medical kit - take micropore or zinc oxide plaster - if it's bleeding, tape it up with that and stop it.  Take a space blanket, shock (from coming arse) causes hypothermia.  Again, don't ask me how I might know about this.

...and check the sealant in your tyres. Suggest you top both wheels up if you haven't done so recently!

mmm... that's a good point, will double check that @ gears.

It's super exciting. I'm working my way through a combination of this list^, their list and my friend's list currently for packing. It seems like everything has to fit into a 100L box (my friend says it's a rough tote box). I've got a Santi drybag that's 105L in size, so using that for packing.

Also got a chest mount for my backpack for a cool action POV shot (Uswe). It's going to be interesting.

I'm jealous and the advice brings FOMO but that chapter is closed for me.

Tiny additions:

If you have a big gear bag put it in the black box - at the end you hand the box back and just lift out the bag. The separate bags for each days' kit is essential I say.

Take a rain jacket and one thermal vest. I did that 2nd or 3rd Sani in Feb when a cold front came through. It was 12 degrees. If you feel the cold, slip in a hoodie and track pants. A hat if it is sunny.

I also did the next one when the Umko / Ixopo R valley was like 45 degrees ( I used 10 litres of water that day - some over the head). Take the 3 litre bladder but only fill what you need based on the weather Maybe take an empty bottle and a buff.

Take a tiny chain lube in case it is muddy.  I have done the service myself and with a shop (Hattons & Maverick (no more of course))) and never needed anything but nice to have as backup. Thorough service beforehand. I say book massages.

You hardly need food, maybe small snacks. I gained weight one Sani.

If it is really muddy Farmer Glen will have alternative gravel road routes; well he did one year.

The bridges are easy BUT look ahead not down. I say don't let your bike go in the water, particularly at the end - it is salty. If you swim, do not get sand in your shorts (I know this). The tracks are now safe and manicured, not getting carried away on the downhills is the new problem.

Above all, enjoy the ride and then the camaraderie (it is what I miss).

Also, I take these Vac Bags every year.

One for each days kit, and two for leisure wear.

After a stage, put your dirty, smelly kit back in the bag and seal it.

It's also great for keeping your clean kit nice and dry.

post-71302-0-03891700-1606295843_thumb.jpg

Hi. Would you guys recommend a full sus XC type bike or a hardtail?

I suggest you take the bike you have. But if it has 25c tires... 

Too late to book massages haha  :nuke: :ph34r:

I have to hand in my bike tomorrow...  :blink:

You can pick up empty spots on the day.  It's worth it...

Cool, it's all happening...!!

For heat and gyppo guts:

1. Wash your hands.  All the time. I did Sani (and Berg 'n Bush, which had a legendary year of poo one time) a number of times, never, touch wood, ever got the squits.  Probably worth taking a small bottle of hand sanitiser to use before eating - I always meant to, never did.

Don't drink berg water.  It's got a nasty ecoli ('Berg bug').  This goes for over-night accommodation before the race as well, just in case - drink bottled water.

Sani supplied water has always been 100% for me.

2. If it's hot, slow down, ride within your capability.  Take sachets of Rehydrate, don't be shy to use them if you feeling grim. Put electrolytes or salt in your water, but not so much that you're going to dehydrate yourself by too much electrolytes.  If it's really hot, I use about half what is recommended - it's worked for me.

If it still feels too hot, slow down more.

Hardcore old-timers open a sachet of Rehydrate, pour it on their tongue and sluk it down with water.  If you do this, don't breathe in while it's on your tongue - Rehydrate powder down your windpipe is not completely comfortable.  Don't ask me how I might know this.

+1 on what Dave says! you don't want the gyppos!

I got them on my one and only Sani.

Evening of Day 1, it all began. From then on I could only really eat bananas and drink coke, water, and poweraid.

Day 2 running on fumes was not fun, and driven by hunger, I ended up overdoing it at the Nandos water stop (after that nasty long uphill). Lost the Nandos out the end it entered, at the top of the next climb  :ph34r: Juuust managed to finish ahead of the sweepers, thanks to the encouragement of my race partner.

Day 3, soldiered on, still powered by bananas and liquids. Manged to finish, but cramped so bad on the grassy knoll, that I had to lie there for 30min before I could walk anywhere.

Lesson 1. Avoid the gyppos at whatever cost.

Lesson 2. Ride what you're comfortable in (clothing, bike setup, etc). I ride flat pedals and shoes 99.99% of the time (nearly all my riding is for fun and on bikes with 160mm+ travel. That Sani I was on an enduro bike). I thought Day 2 Sani was a good time to try out clipless, perhaps to compensate for the couch I was riding. I was wrong. The setup, numb feet, tweaked knees etc had me back on flats for Day 3. Unless you're a medal-obsessed race snake, comfort trumps "efficiency" in my books.

Lesson 3. Don't overdo it on the Nandos.

Can't believe it's actually happening... flying out at 06:00 tomorrow morning blergh. Bikes just arrived at the start a few minutes ago. Anyone else here riding?

It looks like there are 543 entrants in the adventure event.