Advice: Sani2C December 2020

aquaratza

Can't believe it's actually happening... flying out at 06:00 tomorrow morning blergh. Bikes just arrived at the start a few minutes ago. Anyone else here riding?

It looks like there are 543 entrants in the adventure event.

Enjoy!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need less than you think. Most important, get bike in perfect order. The more attention you pay here, the less problems you have. Power banks are nice. I packed a car battery and inverter in my son's box one year, he is a strong lad, so we were sorted there. Day 2 take it easy down into the valley, you can get carried away it is such great riding. Take an extra empty bottle to fill, from table 1 to 2 on the 2nd day can be very hot. I will be in the Adventure with my wife this year. I always get sick after Sani, so I get some Cantraxil from the doc to start taking during the race. I think its from dirty bottle lids.

post-3624-0-48096000-1607001490.jpg

Any feedback from anybody who completed either the Adventure or Race?

By all accounts on social media, the rain and mud were treacherous, with no Umko for anybody on day 2. 

Edited by flymango

By all accounts on social media, the rain and mud were treacherous, with no Umko for anybody on day 2. 

We did the Adventure, and yes, saying the mud were treacherous is a under statement!. Just robbing you of power with every single peddle stroke.

We did the Umko, but going down it was very slow due to the slippery conditions. We targeted a time of between 5:30 and 6:00 for day 2 - according to our times on previous Sanis - but ended up with 8:18!

It was crazy! And scary.

I could hear they money leaving my wallet with every crunchy peddle stroke!

I did the Adventure race and the mud in the Umko valley was challenging. My bike has a tight stone/mud-guard on the front wheel. The mud got in there and my wheels locked up. I had to take off the front wheel multiple times and push out the mud with my thumb. I carried my bike for some distance.

post-128151-0-53504000-1607346242_thumb.jpg

post-128151-0-27222800-1607344909_thumb.jpg

post-128151-0-88149400-1607346326_thumb.jpg

post-128151-0-90148400-1607346591_thumb.jpg

post-128151-0-79991400-1607346659_thumb.jpg

I got told off at the end of the second day for having a GoPro on my chest...

I was also the lucky recipient of a long black hair in my Glencairn dinner stew :D

The catering at the water points was generally extremely good. The catering at the race villages was also excellent, EXCEPT for Glencairn, where staff had a poor attitude, the portions were small, poor quality and of questionable hygiene.

The tented accomodation at Glencairn was great, as was Mackenzie, but less so at Jolivet farm.

I hopelessly overpacked. There were many things I didn't need.

My bike requires a fair bit of remedial work. My one friend's bike's bottom bracket spindle doesn't turn anymore.

I finished Day 1&2 long before my partner and was penalised +/- 340 hours for doing so.

Edited by aquaratza

I did the Adventure with my wife, was a little tough and we did take long each day. I am grateful we could do the Umko valley, done the race twice without doing Umko valley and it sucks. We walked about 2 km of the drop into the Umko valley, the mud was too thick to ride, the rest was OK. The race vibe was a little different with much less riders. I am hoping the race is bigger next week and held in May, less chance of mud and rain.