Help needed, carrying 5 bicycles on a bakkie.

Mountain Goat

post-136260-0-32335800-1605605120_thumb.jpgHi all, I am looking for some advice on how to carry 5 or 6 bicycles plus gear on a double cab Toyota Hilux. My extended family are all into cycling and we have a few road trips planned around cycling. We would ideally want to be able to carry 5 bikes and 5 people all with their cycling gear and a weekend bag.

A trailer is out of the equation as we do not have space to store it when not in use. I do have a 3 bicycle Thule rack however I prefer carrying two bikes on it. I saw this Hilux in picture on the road the other day and I think that it my be the answer to my problems. The Hilux had x4 bicycle roof rack carriers on the back of the bed on top of a hard top roll cover. I am considering replicating this as you can still use the back of the bakkie for safe storage plus using the tow bar and bicycle rack to carry the additional bicycles. 

My question is how do I go about replicating this? How to the cross bars on the bed of the bakkie connect to the roll top cover? Who should I go to for advice or is there an easier answer to my dilemma?  :huh:

Edited by Reece15

Decide what and how you want to cover the Hilux load bin. There are various options. Sliders like Securi Lid/Armadillo or superior. These are all alu and slid to open and close. not 100% dust and waterproof. Thule load bars or Skitch load bars fit onto these. You can also get hard covers which fold away. Bakkie Bar King or tonneau king has options.

Thanks guys local is lekker! I’ll definitely be supporting Skitch, as for covering the load bin I’d prefer an aluminum roll top cover. I’m not too phased if it is not 100% dust or waterproof. I’ll have a look at the different options.

Thanks guys local is lekker! I’ll definitely be supporting Skitch, as for covering the load bin I’d prefer an aluminum roll top cover. I’m not too phased if it is not 100% dust or waterproof. I’ll have a look at the different options.

Also have a look at Superiorloadcover.com

I fitted the Skitch cross bars with Thule roof mount bike racks, just 2 racks, but can easily fit 4 or maybe even 5 racks, I bought my setup from Thule Boksburg, it was just shy of R9k

Edit, if memory serves me well, you can use Thule 753 foot blocks with Aero wing bars, but you have to drill holes into the "bak" to fit them, the nice thing with the Skitch bars, no holes need to be drilled, and they are really strong so a roof top tent could be mounted on them if you ever desired to do so

post-140742-0-52237500-1605609782_thumb.jpgpost-140742-0-76613100-1605609798_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chadvdw67

Quick thought, and it's an honest question as I am also interested in secured storage for bikes and weekends away, but having a look at the capital outlay for an armadillo + Thule/Skitch bars, would it not be an option to have a look at an Aluminium Canopy? It will serve as lockable storage for both bikes and gear/bags? 

Quick thought, and it's an honest question as I am also interested in secured storage for bikes and weekends away, but having a look at the capital outlay for an armadillo + Thule/Skitch bars, would it not be an option to have a look at an Aluminium Canopy? It will serve as lockable storage for both bikes and gear/bags? 

You wont be able to fit 5 bikes in a canopy. length of the bak does not allow bikes to stand in a double cab bak. you will have to remove front wheels.

attachicon.gifbakkie 2.jpgHi all, I am looking for some advice on how to carry 5 or 6 bicycles plus gear on a double cab Toyota Hilux. My extended family are all into cycling and we have a few road trips planned around cycling. We would ideally want to be able to carry 5 bikes and 5 people all with their cycling gear and a weekend bag.

A trailer is out of the equation as we do not have space to store it when not in use. I do have a 3 bicycle Thule rack however I prefer carrying two bikes on it. I saw this Hilux in picture on the road the other day and I think that it my be the answer to my problems. The Hilux had x4 bicycle roof rack carriers on the back of the bed on top of a hard top roll cover. I am considering replicating this as you can still use the back of the bakkie for safe storage plus using the tow bar and bicycle rack to carry the additional bicycles. 

My question is how do I go about replicating this? How to the cross bars on the bed of the bakkie connect to the roll top cover? Who should I go to for advice or is there an easier answer to my dilemma?  :huh:

I suppose it depends on how much you are going to use it, but I would guess that there is a price point where a decent bike trailer rental would make more sense. let someone else pay for the storage, maintenance and licencing

looking like you can get dedicated bike trailers from R200 per day. if your other option is about R10k upfront, then you can get a lot of trips in before you're behind

https://www.irideafrica.com/bike-hire/bike-trailer-rental/

http://www.bicyclehire.co.za/trailer-rental

https://www.rentabicycle.co.za/#page_id=rates

You wont be able to fit 5 bikes in a canopy. length of the bak does not allow bikes to stand in a double cab bak. you will have to remove front wheels.

Ah :whistling:  you can see how much I know hahaha

I suppose it depends on how much you are going to use it, but I would guess that there is a price point where a decent bike trailer rental would make more sense. let someone else pay for the storage, maintenance and licencing

looking like you can get dedicated bike trailers from R200 per day. if your other option is about R10k upfront, then you can get a lot of trips in before you're behind

https://www.irideafrica.com/bike-hire/bike-trailer-rental/

http://www.bicyclehire.co.za/trailer-rental

https://www.rentabicycle.co.za/#page_id=rates

I've seen a place that sells used trailers that the Telkom guys used, they have roll up doors on the sides. Have always wanted to stop and see if its big enough to fit a bike in, would make for an awesome bike trailer.

I fitted the Skitch cross bars with Thule roof mount bike racks, just 2 racks, but can easily fit 4 or maybe even 5 racks, I bought my setup from Thule Boksburg, it was just shy of R9k

Edit, if memory serves me well, you can use Thule 753 foot blocks with Aero wing bars, but you have to drill holes into the "bak" to fit them, the nice thing with the Skitch bars, no holes need to be drilled, and they are really strong so a roof top tent could be mounted on them if you ever desired to do so

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20201117_123814.jpgattachicon.gifScreenshot_20201117_123853.jpg

Thanks, I am going to go this route. I would like to avoid drilling into anything as far as possible.

A typical MTB with its front wheel removed, and seat lowered, needs 1,55m in length and about 0,85m in height for storage ... and then still the width of the handle bars ....

Neither the Ranger nor the Hilux could fit our two MTBs in a straight line, with the front wheel removed.

The Everest is long enough, but not high enough with the seats folded.

The Fortuner was tall enough, but too short due to the way the seat folds up.

More importantly, for the OP, ... if you could fit the bikes inside ... then what will they do with the luggage ....

Combination of a platform rack and a roof/bin mounted rack is his only solution.

PS - We ended with a Suzuki Ertiga. Two MTB fitted inside, with the option of seating for four, though we only use three seats.

I had the skitch with pro ride setup on my Hilux bakkie, if you have a roll bar then more than 3 prorides might be an issue unless there is a way that i have not tried. Its a very nice setup to have. I also had to setup the one further out to the back (wasn't an issue really)for a mtb because the roll bar was in the way for the wheel

post-109119-0-57431600-1605634587_thumb.jpg

post-109119-0-28389400-1605634597_thumb.jpg

post-109119-0-40472900-1605634610_thumb.jpg

Edited by #Arrie