Routes in and around Karkloof

DR ◣◢

We will be spending the 12th to 16th of December in Howick and the bikes are definitely going with. 

Apart from riding the Karkloof trails, what other trails are recommended. We are 100% trail focused so no need to recommend gravel routes unless they lead to "Bat Out Of Hell" in the outback trails for example. 

I am considering a drive to Cascades though. 

between Karkloof and cascades you will no doubt keep yourself entertained for those days...

I have 4 days to ride. Would like to explore a little more. 

I've ridden Karkloof quite a few times now. A little more wont hurt.

Karkloof is marked very well so pick a distance and follow the markers.

Hilton has a very good trail network which is also well marked (not as technical as karkloof)

Cascades has plenty trails but very difficult get a proper ride if you don’t know how to link up all the pieces. It’s not well marked and there are no set courses like karkloof.

Cascades trails are 500m from my home so if you want. Pm me and happy to show you around

Bumping this one up with a question. 

I've ridden Bat Outta Hell before and I would love to take the lady down when we ride there. 

Problem is.... elevation gain and distance. She just came out of recover from an injury. 

I plotted route out on Trailforks and it's 50km with 1000m climbing. Definitely too much for us. 

Is there a way to shuttle up? Or someone that offers this service? 

Bumping this one up with a question. 

I've ridden Bat Outta Hell before and I would love to take the lady down when we ride there. 

Problem is.... elevation gain and distance. She just came out of recover from an injury. 

I plotted route out on Trailforks and it's 50km with 1000m climbing. Definitely too much for us. 

Is there a way to shuttle up? Or someone that offers this service? 

The Lebanon climb, up to Bat Out Of Hell, is on SAPPI land, and you can not shuttle up there. 

Karkloof have recently added a 50km route that utilizes some of the Howick trails.  There are still a lot of trails in Howick that are not part of that route.  A lot of the trails that have been used in the enduros start from the firetower, so you can ride down, then make your way back up to ride another one.  although it will be a huge amount of climbing to keep going up there to ride all the trails.

I will be away from Howick during the time you are here, so I wont be able to show you around.  I can perhaps plot some GPX files for you if you want.

I have 4 days to ride. Would like to explore a little more.

I've ridden Karkloof quite a few times now. A little more wont hurt.

By karkloof ... Are you including howick? Because howick trails are brilliant.. Well they were when I was last there

By karkloof ... Are you including howick? Because howick trails are brilliant.. Well they were when I was last there

Howick and Karkloof trails are now merged as a single network under Karkloof Club.

So, yes.

The Lebanon climb, up to Bat Out Of Hell, is on SAPPI land, and you can not shuttle up there. 

Karkloof have recently added a 50km route that utilizes some of the Howick trails.  There are still a lot of trails in Howick that are not part of that route.  A lot of the trails that have been used in the enduros start from the firetower, so you can ride down, then make your way back up to ride another one.  although it will be a huge amount of climbing to keep going up there to ride all the trails.

I will be away from Howick during the time you are here, so I wont be able to show you around.  I can perhaps plot some GPX files for you if you want.

Thanks so much for the feedback. 

I was considering going up Khyber Pass and parking there to ride up Lebanon via Gauntlet. 

Then down via Bat Outta Hell to Pressure Cooker, Rene's Rumble and back to the car via Khyber Pass again. 

Still 1000m of climbing over 30km. 

Looks like the bat will have to wait until this joker finds his legs. 

We will be spending the 12th to 16th of December in Howick and the bikes are definitely going with. 

Apart from riding the Karkloof trails, what other trails are recommended. We are 100% trail focused so no need to recommend gravel routes unless they lead to "Bat Out Of Hell" in the outback trails for example. 

I am considering a drive to Cascades though. 

Cascades is well worth it!! treacherous in the wet though!

Outback trails are in great condition as they were cleared for the race.

The whole of pressure pot/khyber/Lebanon is running clear.

Besides the greater KK area, Hilton and Cascades, nothing really noteworthy trails wise. But as others have mentioned, in 4 riding days this should be enough, even if you’ve ridden KK plenty, there’s always more to explore.

You could always hire an e-bike from the club if you really wanted to ride Bat outta hell without trying to park somewhere closer (sarcasm font)

You could always hire an e-bike from the club if you really wanted to ride Bat outta hell without trying to park somewhere closer (sarcasm font)

Now there is an idea.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

We will be in Hilton from the 21st till 2nd Jan. Having only ridden Karkloof twice before, I am really excited to have more time to ride there. 

All this talk of climbing is making my legs hurt already...maybe, I should slap on the 20t, or at least take it along....

I'd be very keen on obtaining some GPX files if you dont mind sharing. 

I suppose one can look on strava as well?