Rule of the road OFF the road

Slick Nick

Being relatively new to the MTB scene I have a question regarding cycling etiquette - as the topic heading suggests, what are the common ground rules when going off road on your MTB? I guess that rule #1 applies for starters...???? All input will be appreciated to minimize frustration and undue carpark confrontations????.

DBAD JBL

This rule doesn't have a number, but it is the golden rule.

Don't Be A Dwis.....Just Be Lekker

jinx

Don't ever stand in the middle of the trail when you stop. Get your ass to the side of the road. If there is nowhere to stand, keep going until there is. 

If you're on a one-way trail don't ride back up the trail. 

Ask another rider on the side of the trail if they need help. Especially a damsel in distress. Could very well be your next girlfriend. Even if you can't help them, a bit of moral support goes a long way. 

Don't sit on a slower riders ass. Be polite, announce that you are behind them and reassure them that you will pass when it is safe to do so. 

Don't sit on a slower riders ass. Be polite, announce that you are behind them and reassure them that you will pass when it is safe to do so.

I got a bit irritated at the DBX the other weekend. Yes, everyone is not so fast on the single tracks yet but it does not give you permission to almost ride people off the road.

There was a gentleman that tried this, his back wheel was already half way past my frame, on a track which was not even 30cm wide. I just rode into the bushes, almost crashed but let him go pass but he then did the exact same thing with the lady in front of me.

I got a bit irritated at the DBX the other weekend. Yes, everyone is not so fast on the single tracks yet but it does not give you permission to almost ride people off the road.

There was a gentleman that tried this, his back wheel was already half way past my frame, on a track which was not even 30cm wide. I just rode into the bushes, almost crashed but let him go pass but he then did the exact same thing with the lady in front of me.

this man is obviously a dwiss. don't be like him. funny part is...it's usually those ones that you catch again when the hills start...pushing their bikes

EDIT: that reminds me....if you are weak and have to push your 51T cassette up the hills..please do so well removed from the line. 

Edited by morneS555

Don't litter.

Be friendly

If you catch up with another rider and want to join their ride, just ask. I met most of my MTB friends that way.

If you are chasing Stava KOMs and someone "spoils" your run, then just try again later.

There are guys that will judge you on your equipment. Ignore them and move on. Most of us ride because we enjoy it, regardless of equipment.

Don't ever stand in the middle of the trail when you stop. Get your ass to the side of the road. If there is nowhere to stand, keep going until there is. 

If you're on a one-way trail don't ride back up the trail. 

Ask another rider on the side of the trail if they need help. Especially a damsel in distress. Could very well be your next girlfriend. Even if you can't help them, a bit of moral support goes a long way. 

this man is obviously a dwiss. don't be like him. funny part is...it's usually those ones that you catch again when the hills start...pushing their bikes

EDIT: that reminds me....if you are weak and have to push your 51T cassette up the hills..please do so well removed from the line. 

was wondering about this the other day.

Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses  and i wouldnt look down upon someone who is better at descending but weaker at climbing or VICE VERSA.

But what is the etiquette when you wanting to pass someone on a single track whether up or down???? (sometimes shouting you wanting to pass doesnt work and you just get dirty looks)

Generally speaking I always stop and pull over to the side and let faster people pass (in either direction) whether racing or just fun riding as I know its a flippen pain being stuck behind someone likewise its irritating when someone is hanging on your wheel. 

I am also sure its the same for the other person involved.

this is one of the reasons why i dont enter that many mass start MTB events because you bound to get stuck behind someone who cant climb or descend on single tracks.

This is further exacerbated when organizers of such events pride themselves by putting in as much single track as possible. - imagine being stuck behind someone that long just because they refuse to give way........

Of course if you racing for top spots then ignore this...

Edited by YaseenEnos

Encountered a dwis (got his number) on the Protea Hotel - D'Aria corridor the other day. Narrow trail with 2-way traffic. If someone comes from the front I slow down to signal that I am seeing them and to get past each other safely. This dwis just blasted towards me at full tilt to the point where I had to bail sideways to avoid a crash. Not even a thank you or anything. Next time I won't be as friendly

Edited by Puncture Kid

Encountered a dwis (got his number) on the Protea Hotel - D'Aria corridor the other day. Narrow trail with 2-way traffic. If someone comes from the front I slow down to signal that I am seeing them and to get past each other safely. This dwis just blasted towards me at full tilt to the point where I had to bail sideways to avoid a crash. Not even a thank you or anything. Next time I won't be as friendly

He has the KOM for the corridor

But what is the etiquette when you wanting to pass someone on a single track whether up or down???? (sometimes shouting you wanting to pass doesnt work and you just get dirty looks)

I usually just say "Hi, I'd like to pass when there is some space." and then when there is some space "Can I pass on your right/left?" and then pass. 99% no issues rate.

In the odd case when there is an issue and the person won't let me pass I just wait for the trail to open up a bit and then go bundu-bashing and make sure I'm well past them before merging back onto the trail. No need to cut them off and respond to douche-baggery with more douche-baggery.

“i” to all of the above, except (maybe) fart guy????.

Personally I find it annoying when you are riding service road/jeep track and the local training squad comes from the front and bears down on you without an inclination of pulling to the side. I usually slow down and pull off to the side. Is this a hierachy thing?