Stolen bike tracker

wolver

I know there are a few threads on this topic and similar devices, but has anyone tried this particular device?

https://www.communica.co.za/products/tracker-k2001-2

It's relatively inexpensive (once off cost and no subscription, just requires a sim card for SMS), small and lightweight. I am well aware that it is not a foolproof solution, but I consider the risk of theft to be higher while out on the bike than from the garage (touch wood!) and if you are able to track the bike for a couple of hours following theft/mugging I believe that is the time when the probability of getting it back is highest. 

Making (possibly 3D printing) a small case that mounts discreetly under the seat will hopefully go an hour or two without being stripped out by the thieves.

Thoughts?

P.S. Yes.... the animated character on the front of this device makes it hard to take the device seriously, but it appears to be targeted at parents who need to put a tracker on their kid's wrist :unsure:  

Edited by wolver

I would be interested to hear how it works out of you get one. I pre ordered a couple of the see.sense air trackers through their Kickstarter project, but they will now only arrive in Q1 2021, having been pushed back from June this year. Be interested in accuracy, quality, portability and battery life from your product when you get it.

https://seesense.cc/collections/shop/products/see-sense-air-pre-order

If you look at the discovery drive unit, no sim required and it can work without your phone. Maybe stick it in the seat tube before BB installation.

If you look at the discovery drive unit, no sim required and it can work without your phone. Maybe stick it in the seat tube before BB installation.

Interesting. Do you have a link to check out this device? Assume it would require a Discovery Insure policy though?

Interesting. Do you have a link to check out this device? Assume it would require a Discovery Insure policy though?

You get the unit from TWT when you activate vitality drive. I then canceled the drive option, but the sensor remained in the car. Wife was then involved in an accident and discovery phoned seconds after to assist her with towing etc.. so the unit was still active.

You get the unit from TWT when you activate vitality drive. I then canceled the drive option, but the sensor remained in the car. Wife was then involved in an accident and discovery phoned seconds after to assist her with towing etc.. so the unit was still active.

Hectic. You scored.

Unfortunately you cannot install a GPS unit inside the frame as it will not be able to communicate with the satellites. 

Maybe some one will design one where the GPS Sensor and 3G antenna can fit through an internal Cable routing hole with the battery and circuits inside the frame.  

Edit:

PS. E-bikes should come with GPS Trackers built in, or it is only a SA problem?

Edited by AdamA