Warning Catherine Drive - Sandton

wayne.yan

Crime strikes again.

Riders who use Catherine in Sandton please be aware. On 29/10/2006 at approx. 08:30 I was attacked by two 'affirmative shoppers' wielding bricks. Luckily I was able to keep my head down, but received a nasty blow to my back and shoulder blade and have been left with some nasty bruises. Amazing how powerfully you can sprint when the adrenalin kicks in! After the incident I did what every crazy athlete would do ... finished the  remaing 60km's. I'll be damned if I'll let these bastards  spoil my ride!

The area in question is the top of the climb after passing Barloworld on the right heading north.

wayne.yan2006-10-29 14:23:32

This morning reported the incident at Bramley police station and became an official statistic. If anyone else has been attacked in this area please make sure you take the time to report it. I'll be glad if it avoids just one other cyclist becoming a victim. I know of many guys who use the hill up past Barloworld as a training climb.

I'm really sorry to hear this. Never nice to hear of a fellow rider being attacked. Just glad you kept it together and made it away safely.

I got hijacked at knife point while riding my MTB about two years ago. I reported it to the police. Since the I were in court 7 times! Never again will I report something like this to the police!Dead

I understand the frustration with our non-functional judicial system ... but some how I can't let the bastards win the psycological battle ... hence my decision to continue with my ride. Ouch I mean who actually thinks the cops will catch the perpetrators? If anything, I am interested in affecting the crime statistics and ensuring that people are aware of the danger area. Hence these postings.

Looks like I will be joining a club and going out with a pack seeking safety in numbers. Anyone from Edenvale Pedalers out there?